Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 349

Thread: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

  1. #41
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    So basically a president could sign an executive order that says no Americans have to pay taxes, or that heroin is legal for 5-year-olds, or that the legal voting age is 12.

    Why bother having a Congress? All we need is our king.

  2. #42
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It seems like there is a lot of talk by the Republican base that what Obama is doing is illegal. However, nobody in Congress seems to be ready to go any further than saying they'll defund it. I wonder why? Could it be that maybe they know this isn't as illegal as the base claims it is?
    What they SHOULD know is that they lack the votes to override a veto and while they may impeach (from the House) they will be unable to convict (remember Clinton?) in the Senate. What Obama wants is to force the republicants to react (the more extremely the better) instead of to keep their cool and pass popular legislation that Obama does not want. As long as Obama keeps the republicants fighting each other and tilting at windmills of his own making then they can do no real harm to his legacy or agenda.

    The MSM will spend an hour laser focused on the republicnats "extreme" reaction to Obama and then show Obama making some innocent sounding little speech (with similar out-takes from Bush and Reagan speeches) as the reason for the republicants "rabid and hateful" (racist?) response. Obama may not be much of a leader but he is a very adept politician.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #43
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I disagree. 3 previous Supreme Court decisions say that that those who enforce the laws are free to enforce them as they see fit.
    But, they can't change them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Grandstanding and claims by idiots like Cruz don't change much. Congressional Republicans have made the argument that they're not going to fund it. Well, that's within their power, but none of that makes Obama's EO illegal. Can you tell us what is illegal about it? Or you gonna do like Fenton?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #45
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What they SHOULD know is that they lack the votes to override a veto and while they may impeach (from the House) they will be unable to convict (remember Clinton?) in the Senate. What Obama wants is to force the republicants to react (the more extremely the better) instead of to keep their cool and pass popular legislation that Obama does not want. As long as Obama keeps the republicants fighting each other and tilting at windmills of his own making then they can do no real harm to his legacy or agenda.

    The MSM will spend an hour laser focused on the republicnats "extreme" reaction to Obama and then show Obama making some innocent sounding little speech (with similar out-takes from Bush and Reagan speeches) as the reason for the republicants "rabid and hateful" (racist?) response. Obama may not be much of a leader but he is a very adept politician.
    Yes, yes, I know MSM bad, evil Jew conspiracy. From where I see it. What matters to me is the way Republicans at the base are bending over backwards to say that this is illegal. However, the only response Congressional Repubs. have is to defund the EO. How is it possible that an illegal EO is passed and the best response Congress has is to defund it? Seems rather silly.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #46
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, they can't change them.
    And that is where the dishonesty comes in to play. Obama is not changing the laws. He is making a decision on how to enforce the laws, which is his right. Congress cannot tell him how to do his job. That is unconstitutional. If they feel that Obama is not performing his duties properly, then they should impeach him. That IS Constitutional.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #47
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And that is where the dishonest comes in. Obama is not changing the laws. He is making a decision on how to enforce the laws, which is his right.
    That is false. Enforcement of the law is clearly laid out in the law, which is why Obama himself has said for years that taking the action that he did would be illegal.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Grandstanding and claims by idiots like Cruz don't change much. Congressional Republicans have made the argument that they're not going to fund it. Well, that's within their power, but none of that makes Obama's EO illegal. Can you tell us what is illegal about it? Or you gonna do like Fenton?
    It violates the Constitution.

    If the Constitution is no longer the law, then there no longer is law. What we'd have then is a free-for-all. God help us if that's the case.

  9. #49
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, yes, I know MSM bad, evil Jew conspiracy. From where I see it. What matters to me is the way Republicans at the base are bending over backwards to say that this is illegal. However, the only response Congressional Repubs. have is to defund the EO. How is it possible that an illegal EO is passed and the best response Congress has is to defund it? Seems rather silly.
    it is fairly obvious that the Administration was hoping that they would be able to spark talk of impeachment, which they (probably correctly) judge would be a political victory for them. Absent Impeachment, Censure and Defunding are the two main Congressional tools.



    Obama has gone from the Candidate who ran against Bush's expansions of Executive Power to the President who pushed it far beyond those bounds.


    But you know what? It's okay. Because he's setting a precedent. And you know what the next Republican President is likely to think are Issues We Must Solve Now? Tax and Entitlement Reform. And ya'll are going to scream and I am going to laugh......

  10. #50
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is false. Enforcement of the law is clearly laid out in the law, which is why Obama himself has said for years that taking the action that he did would be illegal.
    Congress laying out how laws are to be enforced IS unconstitutional. That power belongs to the executive branch. Once again, if Congress feels that Obama is being too selective in enforcing the laws, then they should impeach him.

    NOTE: I wonder if you are going to cut off the last part of this post too.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •