Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 349

Thread: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Many undocumented aliens entered the country legally and then overstayed on their visa, which is not a crime.
    One hundred per cent of all the people who have entered the United States illegally have committed a crime. It really is one of the easier stats to understand.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    So tell me, what Immigration Reform law(s) has BO's EO on Immigration Reform clarified or directed his 'underlings' to enforce or not enforce?
    Not having access to the text of the EO- it hatn been published yet - I can't cite specific statutes but that hardly seems relevant. Why do you ask?
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #323
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    If you wish to debate, I'll gladly debate. I you wish to spin, I'll say bye bye. BTW, which previous Immigration Reform law(s) is BO clarifying or directing his 'underlings' to enforce or not enforce with his EO on immigration? Maybe it's a clarification or even a refusal to prosecute the law that states children of undocumenteds that are born in the US become US citizens?
    I've already posted this more than once in this thread, but here it is again

    http://www.nilc.org/document.html?id=754

    General authority for defered action exists under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 103(a), 8 U.S.C. 1103(a), which grants the Secretary of Homeland Security the authority to enforce the immigration laws. Though no statutes oregulations delineate defered action in specific terms, the U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that decisions to initate or terminate enforcement procedings fall squarely within the authority of the Executive. In the immigration context, the Executive Branch has exercised its general enforcement authority to grant defered action since at least 1971. Federal courts have acknowledged the existence of this executive power at least as far back as the mid–1970s.5
    Parole–in–place refers to a form of parole granted by the Executive Branch under
    the authority of INA 212(d)(5), 8 U.S.C. 182(d)(5).
    Under this provision, the Atorney
    General “may . . in his discretion parole into the United States temporarily under such
    conditons as he may prescribe only on a case–by–case basis for urgent humanitarian
    reasons or significant public benefit any alien aplying for admision to the United
    States.”7 Parole permits a noncitzen to remain lawfuly in the United States, although
    parole does not constiute an “admision” under the INA. Individuals who have ben
    paroled are eligible for work authorization
    Defered enforced departure, often refered to as DED, is a form of prosecutorial
    discretion that is closely related to defered action. Almost every Administration since
    President Dwight D. Eisenhower has granted DED or the analogous “Extended Voluntary
    Departure” to at least one group of noncitzens.15 As with defered action, executive
    authority to grant defered enforced departure and extended voluntary departure exists
    under the general authority to enforce the immigration laws as set out in INA 103(a), 8
    U.S.C. 1103(a)
    .1
    If BO refuses to prosecute that law, you do realize children of undocumenteds born in the US WOULD NOT automatically become US citizens, don't you (sometimes you have to resort to concrete thinking to get through)?
    If you really believe in concrete thinking, try reading the constitution. Pay close attention to the part about citizenship. It says anyone born in the US is automatically a US citizem so when an undocumented alien has a child in the US, the child is automatically a US citizen.

    No..that isn't correct because that law didn't deal with the PARENTS of children of undocumenteds born in the US as BO's EO did. The immigration law BO refers to with his EO on immigration is actually just BO's own sense of social justice.
    You're wrong. First, there is no EO. WTF does "PARENTS of children of undocumenteds born in the US" mean? The "parents of children of undocumented" are what the rest of call "parents".

    If the parents were born in the US, they are citizens so Obama's actions don't address them. If the parents are citizens, then so are their children (or at least they're already eligible for citizenship). If the parents and children are all non-citizens, then Obama's actions don't affect them. Obama's actions affect the non-citizen parents of children who are citizens.

    SO if you're going to whine about "spin", I suggest you avoid twisted language like " the PARENTS of children of undocumenteds born in the US" and instead of pretending that I haven't already posted the laws which grant POTUS the power to do what he has done, I suggest you read them.
    Last edited by sangha; 11-28-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #324
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I think the current system of immigration is unworkable. That doesn't give the president the right to selectively enforce the laws on the books because it fits his or view of social justice (as already stated above, thank you).
    You're right. The fact that you think the immigrantion system we have is unworkable doesn't give the president any power to do anything. What gives him that power is the law. I have already posted (several times in fact) the laws which grant the president the power to do what Obama has done. Chanting "He doesn't have the power to change the law" doesn't change the fact that Congress voted to give POTUS the power to do what Obama has done.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #325
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    One hundred per cent of all the people who have entered the United States illegally have committed a crime. It really is one of the easier stats to understand.
    100% of the people who entered the US legally entered the US legally

    Only a right wingers could fail to understand that truism
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #326
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    One hundred per cent of all the people who have entered the United States illegally have committed a crime. It really is one of the easier stats to understand.
    No one's contesting that. It's as obvious as it is irrelevant to the discussion.

    There's a good probability that both you and I will violate or have already violated some Federal statute and won't be prosecuted simply because there are tens of thousands of federal laws and regulations that apply to us.

    The executive selectively enforces laws because there isn't enough people or money to enforce all of them. That's reality.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #327
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    But they want it done



    It is absolutely true



    Undocumented aliens are ineligible for work authorization. Legal immigration benefits the economy
    They may want it dealt with but I say again, NOT THE WAY OBAMA JUST DID IT. Just because you think it was taking too long you can't just change the law.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    No one's contesting that. It's as obvious as it is irrelevant to the discussion.

    There's a good probability that both you and I will violate or have already violated some Federal statute and won't be prosecuted simply because there are tens of thousands of federal laws and regulations that apply to us.

    The executive selectively enforces laws because there isn't enough people or money to enforce all of them. That's reality.
    My understanding is that even when authorities discover illegals, even those who have committed crimes, they are often not arrested or deported. Is this true?

  9. #329
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    No one's contesting that. It's as obvious as it is irrelevant to the discussion.

    There's a good probability that both you and I will violate or have already violated some Federal statute and won't be prosecuted simply because there are tens of thousands of federal laws and regulations that apply to us.

    The executive selectively enforces laws because there isn't enough people or money to enforce all of them. That's reality.
    Don't you think that's a problem?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #330
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You're right. The fact that you think the immigrantion system we have is unworkable doesn't give the president any power to do anything. What gives him that power is the law. I have already posted (several times in fact) the laws which grant the president the power to do what Obama has done. Chanting "He doesn't have the power to change the law" doesn't change the fact that Congress voted to give POTUS the power to do what Obama has done.
    Selective enforcement of the law is what is happening. I hardly think that was intended by any power given to the POTUS, and it makes any debate about immigration policy pretty much pointless, if the POTUS is going to simply enforce what he wants to. This is the kind of stuff impeachments are made from.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •