Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 349

Thread: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

  1. #301
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I wonder if somebody could provide a reasoned rationale for why a pathway to citizenship should be offered to people who have thumbed their noses at our laws and have benefitted greatly at our expense while others respect and obey our laws as they patiently wait for admission to this country?
    A) Because it's what the american people want

    B) Because it benefits our nation


    Can anybody tell me how amnesty for millions of illegals will not affect corporate behavior? Why should an employer who is mandated to provide Obamacare for his/her employees keep those employees when he can lay off his blue collar workers and replace with illegals who presumably won't be eligible for Obamacare? How can millions of legalized illegals not make our more unemployable Americans even more hard core unemployable?
    Under a pathway to citizenship, immigrants who have not gained citizenship would remain ineligible for employment and business that hired them would continue to be subject to fines. IOW, a path to citizenship provides no incentive for business to hire undocumented aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #302
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    What exactly is not working?
    The immigration system
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #303
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The immigration system
    That's a pretty broad answer. By the way, I've spent a considerable amount of time overseas, and my wife is an immigrant that went through the proper channels after we were married, so I'm pretty familiar with the topic.

  4. #304
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    A) Because it's what the american people want

    B) Because it benefits our nation




    Under a pathway to citizenship, immigrants who have not gained citizenship would remain ineligible for employment and business that hired them would continue to be subject to fines. IOW, a path to citizenship provides no incentive for business to hire undocumented aliens.
    So in other words it is ok to break the laws of this land by entering this country illegally? Ever tried to enter another country illegally? Because the law isn't working to your satisfaction it apparently is ok to break it, enter the country illegally, take up residency here, take advantage of all this country has to offer and have your existence taken care of by the American taxpayer?

  5. #305
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So in other words it is ok to break the laws of this land by entering this country illegally? Ever tried to enter another country illegally? Because the law isn't working to your satisfaction it apparently is ok to break it, enter the country illegally, take up residency here, take advantage of all this country has to offer and have your existence taken care of by the American taxpayer?
    Which is the difference between a democracy and a republic. If majority of people want your house, I guess it's OK because they are the majority.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    Which is the difference between a democracy and a republic. If majority of people want your house, I guess it's OK because they are the majority.
    Think the majority will take your house because they want it? What exactly does that have to do with breaking existing laws because they don't suit a particular agenda?

  7. #307
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Think the majority will take your house because they want it? What exactly does that have to do with breaking existing laws because they don't suit a particular agenda?
    In a democracy, there is no law to protect you...only the will of the majority. Unfortunately too many people have been taught to believe that the U.S. is a Democracy and that if they don't like the law, its OK to break it if the majority approves.

    That's what makes this executive action so scary.

    Hey, let's see if we can turn Texas into California.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
    In a democracy, there is no law to protect you...only the will of the majority. Unfortunately too many people have been taught to believe that the U.S. is a Democracy and that if they don't like the law, its OK to break it if the majority approves.

    That's what makes this executive action so scary.

    Hey, let's see if we can turn Texas into California.
    Based upon the last election those who want to turn TX into California lost ground. We aren't a true democracy, we are a Representative Democracy and a country of laws, regardless of what liberals tell us. Seems liberals only want to enforce the laws they agree with. There are many laws I disagree with but honor them.

  9. #309
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Based upon the last election those who want to turn TX into California lost ground. We aren't a true democracy, we are a Representative Democracy and a country of laws, regardless of what liberals tell us. Seems liberals only want to enforce the laws they agree with. There are many laws I disagree with but honor them.
    Yup...but if 4 million illegals get amnesty and eventual citizenship, say goodbye to red Tejas.

  10. #310
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    A) Because it's what the american people want...
    Except that the overwhelming majority did NOT want it done the way Obama just did it...

    B) Because it benefits our nation
    That is simply untrue.

    Under a pathway to citizenship, immigrants who have not gained citizenship would remain ineligible for employment and business that hired them would continue to be subject to fines. IOW, a path to citizenship provides no incentive for business to hire undocumented aliens
    And makes the current soft job market worse by introducing 5 million more low skilled into it...Yeah, doesn't sound like a benefit for Americans....Face it, it was a bald faced political move....The new congress will smack his hands....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •