Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

  1. #1
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy


    LONDON (AP) The global economy's problems seem to be multiplying.

    Hours after the leaders of the world's 20 most developed economies sought to boost confidence by promising to increase global output by $2 trillion over five years, Japan said it had fallen into recession.

    That leaves the country the world's third-largest economy on a long and growing list of troubled economies. China is slowing as well, and Europe can't seem to take off.

    Among major economies, only the United States and Britain are growing at decent rates, and how long that lasts depends on how much trouble their trading partners are in.

    British Prime Minister David Cameron warned in an opinion piece in the Guardian newspaper on Monday that the "red warning lights are flashing" for the world economy.

    We keep hearing nothing but good news for the US and British economies, but the rest of the world is slowing, which can ultimately impact us negatively. Makes me wonder what scenario is correct, and will the FED raising interest rates set off a decline or give it a boost? The Markets are higher than ever, gas is cheap, and the long drawn out mortgage crisis is in sight of ending. So what is it, sunny sailing ahead, dark skies or a mixed bag depending on certain key factors? Anyone's guess right now, and probably only a few major crises from another bailout? Pouring financial support into the top corporate structure of the world does not seem to be generating any real growth.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #2
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    We keep hearing nothing but good news for the US and British economies, but the rest of the world is slowing, which can ultimately impact us negatively. Makes me wonder what scenario is correct, and will the FED raising interest rates set off a decline or give it a boost? The Markets are higher than ever, gas is cheap, and the long drawn out mortgage crisis is in sight of ending. So what is it, sunny sailing ahead, dark skies or a mixed bag depending on certain key factors? Anyone's guess right now, and probably only a few major crises from another bailout? Pouring financial support into the top corporate structure of the world does not seem to be generating any real growth.
    Gas is NOT cheap, it's just less expensive than it was. We should be paying around $1.50 - 2.00.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  3. #3
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Gas is NOT cheap, it's just less expensive than it was. We should be paying around $1.50 - 2.00.
    Good point, it's cheaper than in recent years. If they ever push the Keystone Pipeline thru, it should help a little more.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #4
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,165

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Cameron blamed the last world recession on the government, now he's the government this recession's down to the world, not him.....

    As for petrol prices, what were you paying four years ago?

    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #5
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    We keep hearing nothing but good news for the US and British economies, but the rest of the world is slowing, which can ultimately impact us negatively. Makes me wonder what scenario is correct, and will the FED raising interest rates set off a decline or give it a boost? The Markets are higher than ever, gas is cheap, and the long drawn out mortgage crisis is in sight of ending. So what is it, sunny sailing ahead, dark skies or a mixed bag depending on certain key factors? Anyone's guess right now, and probably only a few major crises from another bailout? Pouring financial support into the top corporate structure of the world does not seem to be generating any real growth.
    The OP is wrong. Canada, Germany, Norway are all growing above 2%

    After seeing the economic forecasts produced by the independent Bank of Canada, I will allow that Britain and the US are in for hard times again, but as with the '08 crach, some of us were exempt
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  6. #6
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Good point, it's cheaper than in recent years. If they ever push the Keystone Pipeline thru, it should help a little more.
    The thing is that Keystone will have little impact on either supply or demand, since it's oil that is going to get produced and processed no matter if runs through the US or Canada. What it will do however is drive the market price down as investors react to it. Kind of the reverse of how a civil uprising in a nation that has little to do with our oil supplies can drive up gas/oil prices. I support building Keystone, but I'm also smart enough to know that while there will be some impact ongas/oil prices, it will be minimal
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  7. #7
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    The OP is wrong. Canada, Germany, Norway are all growing above 2%

    After seeing the economic forecasts produced by the independent Bank of Canada, I will allow that Britain and the US are in for hard times again, but as with the '08 crach, some of us were exempt
    I think the gov's are lying so much about economic data that they wouldn't know the true figures if they were sitting on them. That's kind of my point in the OP.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #8
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    The thing is that Keystone will have little impact on either supply or demand, since it's oil that is going to get produced and processed no matter if runs through the US or Canada. What it will do however is drive the market price down as investors react to it. Kind of the reverse of how a civil uprising in a nation that has little to do with our oil supplies can drive up gas/oil prices. I support building Keystone, but I'm also smart enough to know that while there will be some impact ongas/oil prices, it will be minimal
    Not completely true, when the markets saw the unrest developing in oil producing nations they reacted negatively. All commodities are subject to the short term pressure of News about perceived availability, investing and future production.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #9
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Gas prices are falling because the Saudi's are trying to drive their competitors out of bussiness.

    Lowering their prices on their product to make exploration unprofitable.

    Their competitors of-course would be the US fracking industry

    If they can get it down to around 60 bucks a barrel for a extended amount of time they might just succeed.

    As for Global economic data that shows things are " improving " ? I don't trust it one bit.

    Especially ANYTHING out of the US Government.

    If we're in the midst of such a great economic recovery then why are interest rates still down next to nothing ?

  10. #10
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: 'Red warning lights' flashing for global economy

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think the gov's are lying so much about economic data that they wouldn't know the true figures if they were sitting on them. That's kind of my point in the OP.

    I wonder if it isn't part of FUD, fear, uncertainty and doubt...when created the populace, like in war, rally behind the government out of fear.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •