Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 125

Thread: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats [W:42]

  1. #11
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    I am more than ok with what anonymous has done here with the KKK. With a few exceptions, I am generally ok with most of the things anonymous does.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    I am more than ok with what anonymous has done here with the KKK. With a few exceptions, I am generally ok with most of the things anonymous does.
    And as pointed out they didn't do anything to the KKK, as it wasn't the KKK's site and it wasn't anonymous. Duh!
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Knowing what I do about the real Anonymous (those from 4chan), and not the usurpers of the movement.
    Your comment would actually apply to Anonymous more than you probably will let on knowing.


    Spoken like a true Anonymous. lulz
    4chan is anonymous because of the nature of the message board, but they aren't "anonymous" as in, the hacking group that hacked the Turkish govt and all that. Though 4channers and 8channers may have a higher ratio of people visiting/being part of the community that actually know a thing or two about hacking than other communities.

    And yes, as you said below, everyone can claim to be anonymous. There is no card carrying thing to prove you're a "member". That's the whole point. Also, I don't know what "usurping" is going on. This was the whole message of Anonymous, doesn't matter what people do, they can claim to be part of it.

    That being said, maybe that's Anonymous speech, but it's also common sense coming from a guy who works in the field of programming.


    Also, I know that it wasn't any serious hackign attempt because
    a) it's twitter. Who cares about your twitter? nobody.
    b) hacking usually takes time. nobody would be interesting in hacking such a low-value high-PR target. There are no "bragging rights" to be found here.

    That's why it was a kid or some kids who introduced passwords at random to see what works. And something worked.

  4. #14
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And as pointed out they didn't do anything to the KKK, as it wasn't the KKK's site and it wasn't anonymous. Duh!
    That does not seem to be the general consensus. There seems to be plenty of reporting that anonymous did seize KKK twitter accounts and posted activity of their intentions with them. CNN, ZDNet, The Guardian, BBC, etc. Take your pick.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    That does not seem to be the general consensus.

    There seems to be plenty of reporting that anonymous did seize KKK twitter accounts and posted activity of their intentions with them. CNN, ZDNet, The Guardian, BBC, etc. Take your pick.

    The general consensus? What general consensus?

    iLOL
    You don't think reporters get things wrong?

    Just because an account contains the letter KKK, doesn't mean it belongs to the KKK.

    And just because someone identifies as being anonymous doesn't make them part of Anonymous.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I so want to like and approve of this, as there is no group I like seeing bad things happen to more than the KKK. But I can't do it. DDoS, hacking, exposing people who have commiuted no crime, that is simply not acceptable behavior, no matter who the target is.
    Leave it to the ****ers in anonymous to actually make me think the KKK of all people are getting a raw deal. I loved their ridiculous little me basically trying to say they aren't doing what they're doing while acknowledging that's exactly what they're doing.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanSlug View Post
    That does not seem to be the general consensus. There seems to be plenty of reporting that anonymous did seize KKK twitter accounts and posted activity of their intentions with them. CNN, ZDNet, The Guardian, BBC, etc. Take your pick.
    Considering all those publications thought 4chan was a hacker in the celebrity nude photo scandals, as in, a person that is a hacker, they carry little weight in such matters.

  8. #18
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    The general consensus? What general consensus?

    iLOL
    You don't think reporters get things wrong?

    Just because an account contains the letter KKK, doesn't mean it belongs to the KKK.

    And just because someone identifies as being anonymous doesn't make them part of Anonymous.
    And how would you know all this? Best I can tell you have not provided much.

  9. #19
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Considering all those publications thought 4chan was a hacker in the celebrity nude photo scandals, as in, a person that is a hacker, they carry little weight in such matters.
    Perhaps not, you could be right. But the reporting is what we have to go on, and in this case given what is reported it would make sense for anonymous to go after the KKK (as they have done to many other groups they target.)

  10. #20
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Anonymous seizes Ku Klux Klan Twitter account over Ferguson threats

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    4chan is anonymous because of the nature of the message board, but they aren't "anonymous" as in, the hacking group that hacked the Turkish govt and all that. Though 4channers and 8channers may have a higher ratio of people visiting/being part of the community that actually know a thing or two about hacking than other communities.

    And yes, as you said below, everyone can claim to be anonymous. There is no card carrying thing to prove you're a "member". That's the whole point. Also, I don't know what "usurping" is going on. This was the whole message of Anonymous, doesn't matter what people do, they can claim to be part of it.

    That being said, maybe that's Anonymous speech, but it's also common sense coming from a guy who works in the field of programming.


    Also, I know that it wasn't any serious hackign attempt because
    a) it's twitter. Who cares about your twitter? nobody.
    b) hacking usually takes time. nobody would be interesting in hacking such a low-value high-PR target. There are no "bragging rights" to be found here.

    That's why it was a kid or some kids who introduced passwords at random to see what works. And something worked.
    I do not in "essence" disagree, the nature of the message board allowed anonymous entries as well.

    But 4chan members were still the originators of Anonymous as a group, and these actions are not attributable to them. (the originators)

    Others are just usurpers of the title and are nothing but (little "a") anonymous, as they are not the originators, regardless of the seriousness of their hacking, such as those you mentioned.

    To the current actions, the anonymous in ref here, foments discord against Ferguson and was identified as being from Pakistan and well funded.
    And because of funding and 24/7 activity, speculation abounds as to whether or not it is a non-US Gov entity.


    So while anyone can be anonymous, not everyone can be Anonymous. Which is the point I was making.
    The group/person in question "OpFerguson" while it is anonymous to most folks, it is fake Anonymous.
    Which may explain the non-serious hacking.
    And the KKK site was previously revealed as not belonging to the KKK.


    Lets put it this way.
    Lets say a group using the moniker Anonymous presents itself as being against Iran developing/obtaining nukes and is going to us it's hacking prowess to disrupt everything Iranian it can until they give up the pursuit.
    It then turns out that group is actually the CIA, I seriously doubt anybody would then say it was an actually representation of Anonymous.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •