Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 175

Thread: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

  1. #71
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I never heard anything on the young being more and more pro-life. Time will tell if you are right. It is possible and I always believe in possibilities. Perhaps when it comes social conservatism I do not that that is a precondition to fiscal responsibility. To me being fiscal responsible is not spending more than one takes in. Having 18 trillion and rising in debt is very fiscal irresponsible. Now yes, I would rather have the families of the 1950's when out of wedlock birth was looked down on and was a disgrace. A Father Knows Best or Ozzie and Harriet type family for one and all.

    But that is impossible today. How or why society moved away from that I do not know. Perhaps it was the hippies and free love of the 60's. There is nothing wrong in letting a woman decide her own fate. I still look upon it as more as an individual freedom than having the state dictate she must give birth. Then who is going to take care of all these unwanted babies? The state? Would each pro-life family open their homes to these babies?

    A government role in marriage, no. Although it will be very hard if nearly impossible to get government out of marriage. The IRS code is full of deductions and taxes based on marriage and there is government benefits and the like. But should there be and is it necessary? This government never kept track who was married until some states began the practice after the civil war. If memory serves me right, Kentucky became the last state to finally keep records on marriages around 1911. But there was no income tax back then.

    Polygamy doesn't fit into western society but quite nicely in other societies. But then again with governments involvement in marriage and other things dealing with the repercussions of marriage a ton of laws would have to be changed.

    Now I agree this nations is divided, it has become much more polarized one way or the other. I think ideally for me, I would like the government to be fiscal responsible by not spending more than it takes in and not be involved in things that do no harm to others. So as to the direction of the country, we will see, time will tell.
    The government didn't track births for a long time either, til around the 1900s, and we now have people who are having problems proving who they are because they don't have a birth certificate. Times change.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #72
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No it doesn't, it only limits the government (in the degree to which it issues). Any issuance of a license requires selective issuance of the license. As a single example, everyone (well, most folk) agrees it shouldn't be issued to those whom we have judged are incapable of making fully informed decisions.
    Selective issuance not based on a legitimate state interest when it comes to issuing a license limits individual freedoms and legally recognized relationships without legitimate cause.

    You could not limit drivers licenses to only married people, white people, or men unless you are able to show how any of these limitations further at least a legitimate state interest, something not likely to happen. While we still do have limitations on drivers licenses based on age or even disabilities due to being able to show how these further a legutimate state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #73
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator



    I like him. He's pro-gay marriage and isn't afraid to show it. Can't say the same for a lot of other liberal Republicans...
    Good for him to finally see the light, educate himself and support equal rights because of his son.
    I find it sad that a person needed somebody that close to them to finally understand thier selfishness BUT the understanding part is whats important and late is better than never. GOOD JOB!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #74
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Good for him to finally see the light, educate himself and support equal rights because of his son.
    I find it sad that a person needed somebody that close to them to finally understand thier selfishness BUT the understanding part is whats important and late is better than never. GOOD JOB!
    Why do you think it's "sad"?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #75
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Why do you think it's "sad"?
    because the understanding, respect and want for equal rights of your fellow americans (especial from a politician) should come before a family member needs them.

    Its sad that it took a personal experience like that to turn on the common sense logic that ALL americans deserve equal rights. But like I said better late than never. The ability to learn is better than pure ignorance and denial.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #76
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    because the understanding, respect and want for equal rights of your fellow americans (especial from a politician) should come before a family member needs them.

    Its sad that it took a personal experience like that to turn on the common sense logic that ALL americans deserve equal rights. But like I said better late than never. The ability to learn is better than pure ignorance and denial.
    He found out in 2011 that his son was gay. In 2013 he publicly came out in support of gay marriage. Gay marriage hasn't been a front and center issue for the last 40 years. It's relatively new, so much so that even President Obama didn't change his stance on it until 2012.

    It isn't sad at all. It's actually very understandable. The issue of gay marriage became very real to him because of his son. That isn't sad. It's called being human and a father.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #77
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So anyone that isn't for gay marriage is a bigot? Is that your contention?
    Ironic as hell, isn't it?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #78
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    1.)He found out in 2011 that his son was gay. In 2013 he publicly came out in support of gay marriage. Gay marriage hasn't been a front and center issue for the last 40 years. It's relatively new, so much so that even President Obama didn't change his stance on it until 2012.

    2.)It isn't sad at all. It's actually very understandable. The issue of gay marriage became very real to him because of his son. That isn't sad. It's called being human and a father.
    1.) none of that changes that i find it sad. Even your own words are sad to me "Gay marriage hasn't been a front and center issue for the last 40 years." I find it sad that a person would even think that it matters if it was a "front and center issue"

    womans rights, minority rights, interracial marriage was always a "front and center issue either, its still find it sad that people were ignortant and orbigoted enough to not care about it or want the right thing done

    2.) nope i disagree its still sad thats what it took.
    Im against rape and i dont need a daughter to get rape to realize it because that would be sad. Also theres nothing about being against rape after my daughter is rape that makes me being human or a father. It would shows how selfish and ignorant i was but at least i can learn from my mistakes which is good.

    Im glad he came around but i still find it sad thats what it took. But that result is better than the despicable people who abuse thier kids and or disown then when they come out.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #79
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,816

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So anyone that isn't for gay marriage is a bigot? Is that your contention?
    not for it? no that doesnt make one a bigot alone, feelings are fine

    anyone who actively tries to stop it, yes they are bigots
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    He found out in 2011 that his son was gay. In 2013 he publicly came out in support of gay marriage. Gay marriage hasn't been a front and center issue for the last 40 years. It's relatively new, so much so that even President Obama didn't change his stance on it until 2012.

    It isn't sad at all. It's actually very understandable. The issue of gay marriage became very real to him because of his son. That isn't sad. It's called being human and a father.
    It's sad because it took a couple of years for the father to come around to support it. When my brother told me he was gay I accepted him for who he was right away. Some gay people wish all their families would accept them that way.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •