Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 175

Thread: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    How vague.
    Well then, give me a specific example and I will be more than happy to tell you.

  2. #12
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,145

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    I like him. He's pro-gay marriage and isn't afraid to show it. Can't say the same for a lot of other liberal Republicans...
    He's pro gay marriage because his son came out and he wanted to validate him - prior to that, he was against it.

    Meaning that he chooses his stance not on principle, but rather on what is most convenient to him. If you honestly think that access to SSM is a "right", you may want to consider how lightly he values it.

  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,145

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Being pro gay marriage I would think would hurt Portman in the primaries if he decided to run. I do not think he could ever be nominated by the GOP. Now I have never heard of Portman having presidential ambitions before either. That is new to me.
    TD claims to be a buddy of his (and may very well be), who thinks that he does, and was pushing for him last time around as Romney's VP pick.

    There are a lot of fiscal conservatives out there unaligned with the Republicans because of their stances on social issues. I think one day the GOP will have to decide between the religious right and those unaligned fiscal conservatives.
    Yeah. We tried the "let's pick a moderate Republican candidate who isn't strong on social conservatism but who is good on fiscal issues" in 2008 and 2012. It turns out, when you don't do a good job of turning out your base, you loose elections.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    If you honestly think that access to SSM is a "right", you may want to consider how lightly he values it.
    Yes, because we all know only heterosexuals value marriage.

    That is why there is almost a 50% divorce rate.

  5. #15
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Considering Libertarians espouse the nonsense that government should get out of marriage, as where liberals argue for legal recognition of it, I'd say he's a liberal Republican.
    Libertarians support gay marriage.

    The Libertarian Party platform states that "Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws."

    So no, you have it wrong. You may want to read up on how the Libertarians view SSM.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    He's pro gay marriage because his son came out and he wanted to validate him - prior to that, he was against it.

    Meaning that he chooses his stance not on principle, but rather on what is most convenient to him. If you honestly think that access to SSM is a "right", you may want to consider how lightly he values it.
    That really is not necessarily true unless you have access to more information than I do. Sometimes it takes an issue affecting a family member to re-examine more closely what you think on an issue. AUtomatically assigning the worst possible motives to some one simply because you do not like their stance on an issue is kinda sad. It is much like assuming people opposed to SSM are bigots.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Considering Libertarians espouse the nonsense that government should get out of marriage, as where liberals argue for legal recognition of it, I'd say he's a liberal Republican.
    While I would not want to insult any one by calling them a libertarian, and Portman certainly isn't(nor do I think he is a liberal republican, takes much more than one issue to make some one liberal), it is not so much libertarians arguing to get the government out of marriage as it is conservatives who see the writing on the wall and if they have to share their toys they will just break them instead. Notice that no one wanted the state out of marriage until they started having to share marraige with those icky gay people.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,145

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That really is not necessarily true unless you have access to more information than I do.
    I have only what he said at the time, where he clearly drew the line straight from "my son is gay" to "therefore I have decided to support gay marriage".

    Sometimes it takes an issue affecting a family member to re-examine more closely what you think on an issue. AUtomatically assigning the worst possible motives to some one simply because you do not like their stance on an issue is kinda sad. It is much like assuming people opposed to SSM are bigots.
    it might be so - but that is what he suggested at the time, and I see no particular reason (given that that is common) to assume otherwise.

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,145

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, because we all know only heterosexuals value marriage.

    That is why there is almost a 50% divorce rate.
    Oh hey look! A Strawman! Does it need a brain?

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah. We tried the "let's pick a moderate Republican candidate who isn't strong on social conservatism but who is good on fiscal issues" in 2008 and 2012. It turns out, when you don't do a good job of turning out your base, you loose elections.
    I would have a very hard time really calling either McCain or Romney anything but socially conservative, and the reason they lost had exactly jack and **** to do with social issues.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •