Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 175 of 175

Thread: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Never mind, we're just talking past each other.
    Apparently so. I respect you as a poster for sure, I just don't understand why you're so intent on making this ridiculous point despite the fact that all evidence outweighs you. Libertarians have been a key ally of the LGBT movement for decades so I don't understand how anyone could mistake us for being antipathic towards it simply because a few of us would like to see all government involvement eliminated.

  2. #172
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Apparently so. I respect you as a poster for sure, I just don't understand why you're so intent on making this ridiculous point despite the fact that all evidence outweighs you. Libertarians have been a key ally of the LGBT movement for decades so I don't understand how anyone could mistake us for being antipathic towards it simply because a few of us would like to see all government involvement eliminated.
    Thank you, Telekat, I respect you too. Unfortunately I'm not communicating my point successfully, since when you repeat my argument back to me it's consistently not the one I've stated. If I recall, the only thing you've gotten right thus far is that I did not accuse you personally of siding against gays in the ssm debate. After that, though, it's pretty much been like shooting at each other in the dark.

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Thank you, Telekat, I respect you too. Unfortunately I'm not communicating my point successfully, since when you repeat my argument back to me it's consistently not the one I've stated. If I recall, the only thing you've gotten right thus far is that I did not accuse you personally of siding against gays in the ssm debate. After that, though, it's pretty much been like shooting at each other in the dark.
    Well, lets back-track then. I will try to do a better job of understand where you are coming from. Are you of the opinion that Libertarians are generally (or consistently) antipathic towards SSM?

  4. #174
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Opposition to abortion goes up and down like a wave and there is no indication that this is likely to change anytime soon. There is not a huge difference in support/opposition to abortion in younger generations, unlike with same sex marriage.
    That is incorrect, especially when you compare younger generations to their parents generations.

    Ironically (given the political divide) the driving force is the same behind the increase in those who are pro-life and the increase in those who are pro-SSM: raw broadening of empathy.

  5. #175
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage issue now linked to Ohio senator

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is incorrect, especially when you compare younger generations to their parents generations.

    Ironically (given the political divide) the driving force is the same behind the increase in those who are pro-life and the increase in those who are pro-SSM: raw broadening of empathy.
    I have evidence from polls that show otherwise. It has gone up and down only a little bit. Overall, it has remained pretty steady since at least the Roe decision.

    Abortion | Gallup Historical Trends

    This graph looks a lot different than those in connection with same sex marriage.

    There hasn't been a huge amount of change with time when it comes to abortion. Most of the opposition/support on the abortion issue comes with specifically where the limitations should or should not be. The majority feels it should be legal under limited circumstances, while the other two options had low numbers for both, all abortion illegal or all abortion legal.

    And there is very little generational difference. The biggest difference being in whether all abortions should be illegal, which still does not have a majority in that younger age group. What has the majority is abortion legal under certain circumstances.

    Generational Differences on Abortion Narrow

    Otherwise all groups have been changing with time, trending up and down between decades. We may (and likely will) see another change in the future where support with all age groups for abortions (at least limited) grows.

    The graph for same sex marriage looks a whole lot like the graph for interracial marriage, only over a lot fewer years.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •