Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 362

Thread: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

  1. #61
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Basten View Post
    Right on the nail.

    The circus just keeps going with the GOP.
    No, the circus is about to leave town, and Obama is hurrying to pass something NOBODY wants before they do.

    He's throwing a liberal hissy fit (the worst kind), and can't get passed the massive rejection just handed him.

    No means no, Obama.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So do you have a similar stance on believing that those in congress shouldn't disobey their constitutional duties and vote for bills they believe are wrong for the country? Or have you criticized the Republicans in congress at any point for not "compromising"?
    Not only do they refuse to compromise (its a dirty word to the "new" Republicans) but the House has passed numerous "insult" bills like defunding the ACA to add to the partisanship. It is like they have forgotten how to get things done and the House is the most obstructionist in history. I don't remember the Dems doing the same to GW Bush. In fact Bush only vetoed 12 bills when the Dems had control of Congress and 4 of them were over-ridden by Congress. Now that Reid can't block these "dead in the water" bills we will see how many times Obama exercises his right as President. Without the votes to override them they are an exercise in futility.

  3. #63
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Foreign aid is a tool used in International Relations (part of any country's foreign policy efforts), not just a giveaway to other countries.

    It is in our country's best interest to have countries in need of assistance coming to the US for that assistance, rather than going to another country that presents a danger to the US - such as Russia or China. We want those countries in our debt, not our potential enemies. We went through this already when the Russians funded revolutions in Central and South America, and when China bought the Panama Canal because we refused to fund it anymore. If China becomes a belligerent to the US, they could close the Panama Canal, militarize it, and we would either have to go to war to gain access to it or all of our ships would have to go around the horn of South America just to go between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

    I would agree that we need to have tighter strings attached to our aid, but I could never agree to cutting it off, or reducing it to the point that our potential advisories rise up to fill that void.
    since i follow constitutional law...i don't see it in the powers of congress.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    No, the circus is about to leave town, and Obama is hurrying to pass something NOBODY wants before they do.

    He's throwing a liberal hissy fit (the worst kind), and can't get passed the massive rejection just handed him.

    No means no, Obama.
    The polls say YES to immigration reform Erod. You don't know what you are talking about. Obama will get things done without the GOP obstructionists.

    Two New Polls Show Continued U.S. Support for Immigration Reform - NBC News

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Not only do they refuse to compromise (its a dirty word to the "new" Republicans) but the House has passed numerous "insult" bills like defunding the ACA to add to the partisanship.
    Wait wait wait....

    If they think that defunding the ACA is "what's best for the country" don't they have a "constitutional duty" to attempt to do so?

    Or do you take such a high brow approach only to those on your political side?

  6. #66
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The polls say YES to immigration reform Erod. You don't know what you are talking about. Obama will get things done without the GOP obstructionists.

    Two New Polls Show Continued U.S. Support for Immigration Reform - NBC News
    Old polls. Essentially useless.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #67
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The polls say YES to immigration reform Erod. You don't know what you are talking about. Obama will get things done without the GOP obstructionists.

    Two New Polls Show Continued U.S. Support for Immigration Reform - NBC News
    The polls also show that the people want border enforcement done first. We've already seen how liberals lie when they want it all lumped together like in the 80s.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Wait wait wait....

    If they think that defunding the ACA is "what's best for the country" don't they have a "constitutional duty" to attempt to do so?

    Or do you take such a high brow approach only to those on your political side?
    54 times in 4 years? At what point is what they are doing going to be considered a waste of time and money?

    I can understand a couple of times in a year maybe, but clearly when they know they aren't going to get it repealed, that is a little too much don't you think?

    At what point would you consider it nothing more than a waste of time and political grandstanding? Yes, I'm well aware the Dems do this too, that doesn't make it any less a waste of time or any less wrong.

    Now, given that the GOP have won these last elections I would not consider it a waste if they were to try and do it as the tables and playing field have changed. However, in the past they have more than wasted time on this.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Wait wait wait....

    If they think that defunding the ACA is "what's best for the country" don't they have a "constitutional duty" to attempt to do so?

    Or do you take such a high brow approach only to those on your political side?
    No, not when they do not have the votes and they know it. Grandstanding is not governing. I believe we will see a lot more of it now that they have the Senate. Now both Houses will be wasting time 24/7. All they are talking about now is shutting down the Govt. again. That's why the President will have to take the reigns. The GOP's inability to pass legislation that becomes law has left a huge power vacuum.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 11-17-14 at 12:33 PM.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    54 times in 4 years? At what point is what they are doing going to be considered a waste of time and money?

    I can understand a couple of times in a year maybe, but clearly when they know they aren't going to get it repealed, that is a little too much don't you think?

    At what point would you consider it nothing more than a waste of time and political grandstanding? Yes, I'm well aware the Dems do this too, that doesn't make it any less a waste of time or any less wrong.

    Now, given that the GOP have won these last elections I would not consider it a waste if they were to try and do it as the tables and playing field have changed. However, in the past they have more than wasted time on this.
    Why not 54 times in 4 years (if those numbers are accurate)? Heck, EVERYTHING they did was a waste of time thanks to Harry...even stuff that had Democratic support in the House.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •