Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 362

Thread: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

  1. #291
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,873

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Don't you think that after ten years of living here they might consider it their country too?
    They can think what they want. Doesn't matter.

    It's NOT their country if they entered illegally.


    Damn, dude...you just keep fling stuff against the wall...and it just doesn't stick.


    btw, yesterday you suggested we both just lay out our personal position on this issue. I did. Will you?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #292
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,873

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I guess that is the end of the story of the marine who got locked up in Mexico. "He broke the law, end of story."
    LOL!!

    Are you REALLY comparing that Marine who accidentally entered Mexico and would have been perfectly happy to turn around and leave...to someone to deliberately enters the US and does everything they can to avoid being caught and sent back to their country?

    Now you are just being pathetic.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #293
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How about the illegal alien who, first, broke our law by entering illegally and then, ran some innocent young man down, killed him and continues to live illegally in our country?

    Do you care if he suffers?


    Tell me....do you have any respect for our rule of law? Or are you perfectly willing to let Obama take the law into his own hand?
    I respect the law enough to know that it is not as simple as you make it to be

    In Your scenario the answer would be no, I don't care about someone who crossed the border illegally and commited murder and I believe that man should be brought to justice.

    But that is not the only scenario that plays out in this debate. For instance, what if an illiegal broke into the country, falls in love with and Marries a legal resident of this country, they raise two children and settle down as a family, with the immigrant being the sole breadwinner for the family. Suppose the illiegal and his family live like this for ten years, until a minor traffic accident results in the illiegal being discovered by the immigration authorities. Tell me what the immigration authorities should do? There is no denying that he broke the law by crossing the border, but apart from that he has spent ten years living in America, raising a family, and has not gotten into trouble until the traffic incident. His family are legal American citizens and 10 years of living in America have effectivly removed any connection to his original home country.

    Is there anything to gain by deporting this illiegal, seperating him from his family?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #294
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    LOL!!

    Are you REALLY comparing that Marine who accidentally entered Mexico and would have been perfectly happy to turn around and leave...to someone to deliberately enters the US and does everything they can to avoid being caught and sent back to their country?

    Now you are just being pathetic.
    No I am comparing the treatment of Americans that break the laws abroad to the treatment of foreigners that break the law of our country.

    Don't expect mercy from another country if you don't show any in return
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #295
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    They can think what they want. Doesn't matter.

    It's NOT their country if they entered illegally.


    Damn, dude...you just keep fling stuff against the wall...and it just doesn't stick.


    btw, yesterday you suggested we both just lay out our personal position on this issue. I did. Will you?
    My belief is this: not all these illiegals deserve the same harsh treatment of deportation. Some of these people could be given leniency in some circumstances.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #296
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,873

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    No I am comparing the treatment of Americans that break the laws abroad to the treatment of foreigners that break the law of our country.

    Don't expect mercy from another country if you don't show any in return
    You really don't know what goes on, do you?

    When thousands of children entered our country illegally last summer, did we chain them, naked, to a bed and leave them there for 12 hours? That's what happened to that Marine, so quit your ridiculous hyperbole.

    This is just another dumbass thing you've flung against the wall. It doesn't stick.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #297
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,873

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I respect the law enough to know that it is not as simple as you make it to be

    In Your scenario the answer would be no, I don't care about someone who crossed the border illegally and commited murder and I believe that man should be brought to justice.

    But that is not the only scenario that plays out in this debate. For instance, what if an illiegal broke into the country, falls in love with and Marries a legal resident of this country, they raise two children and settle down as a family, with the immigrant being the sole breadwinner for the family. Suppose the illiegal and his family live like this for ten years, until a minor traffic accident results in the illiegal being discovered by the immigration authorities. Tell me what the immigration authorities should do? There is no denying that he broke the law by crossing the border, but apart from that he has spent ten years living in America, raising a family, and has not gotten into trouble until the traffic incident. His family are legal American citizens and 10 years of living in America have effectivly removed any connection to his original home country.

    Is there anything to gain by deporting this illiegal, seperating him from his family?
    Why should that illegal alien get any special treatment? He broke our laws.

    In any case, your hypothetical situation is illogical and unrealistic.

    1. How is he going to get legally married if he is not a legal resident? Is his State going to sanction his marriage?

    2. If he does want to marry a legal resident, there is a process...based on established laws...that he must go through to be able to do that. If he doesn't do that, he is breaking yet ANOTHER law.

    3. How is he the sole breadwinner if he is an illegal alien? Oh...wait...he's breaking MORE laws and he's being aided and abetted by US employers who are ALSO breaking the law. Am I supposed to have some compassion for that employer, too?

    4. If he's caught and deported, too bad...but his family, as legal residents, will be taken care of by our very liberal entitlement system. That is you and I, as citizens and taxpayers, paying the cost of his bad choices. But all he has to do is enter legally and everything will be okay.


    btw, I lived in Germany for 6 1/2 years. I didn't lose any connection to my country of birth. Ten years wouldn't have done it either.

    Also, I submit you DON'T have respect for our laws if you think it's okay for everyone from the President on down to the illegal alien to break them...just because they don't like them. No...for you, the ends justify the means.
    Last edited by Mycroft; 11-18-14 at 07:59 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #298
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You really don't know what goes on, do you?

    When thousands of children entered our country illegally last summer, did we chain them, naked, to a bed and leave them there for 12 hours? That's what happened to that Marine, so quit your ridiculous hyperbole.

    This is just another dumbass thing you've flung against the wall. It doesn't stick.
    You are right about one thing. I am flinging all the core arguments of what I think is right and just only to see it rejected by some entity i cannot fathom or reason with.

    I can not understand what conservatives consider immigration policy. Do they see the hundreds of undocumented children in some way that I don't? Yes they broke the law, but do conservatives not care about the fact that these kids are victims too? Where is the empathy? The compassion? The mercy?


    I cannot understand what makes people ignorant to suffering, and that is when I contemplate darker motivations behind conservative logic.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #299
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    let me just ask a simple question:

    if someone is stopped by law enforcement [violation], are you against asking their legal status?
    Not if there is reasonable suspicion. If there isn't reasonable suspicion, then I am against it, just like the Constitution is.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #300
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,873

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    My belief is this: not all these illiegals deserve the same harsh treatment of deportation. Some of these people could be given leniency in some circumstances.
    I haven't heard of ANY illegal alien receiving the "same" harsh treatment. You got any more hyperbole?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •