Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 362

Thread: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

  1. #191
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,948

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I.e

    Enforce a policy that treats those who enter the country illiegally like wild dogs.
    illegally is the KEY word....

    they broke the law, and by staying here, continue to break the law

    our immigration policy needs fixing....no denying it

    it shouldnt take 10-15 years to come here legally

    but by thumbing their nose at our laws, what should we be thinking about them

    i cant get past that issue.....i can understand their desire for a better life

    i cant understand them breaking the law, and NEVER trying to right that wrong
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #192
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    As tempted as they may be to see the Republicans blamed for economic disaster, giving the Democrats a chance to recapture the House in 2014,

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA <splat>
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #193
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I.e

    Enforce a policy that treats those who enter the country illiegally like wild dogs.
    Your point, other than to mischaracterize what happens during a deportation process?

    Regardless, let's assume we are treating them like wild dogs, the solution for them is quite simple - don't come/stay here illegally and we won't treat you like the wild dogs your behavior suggests.

  4. #194
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    So when do you think this Congress will ever pass their own bill?
    after clearly refusing to take up their own Sen. Rubio's Dream Act?
    And forever disdaining the process of Joint-Committee on anything ?
    When they get good and ready to do so, There is nothing wrong with existing law other than the fellow whose job it is to enforce it has decided not to do his job the last six years. And good on them if they don't take up the silly stupid Dream Act.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,062

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The President is being forced to act because the House hasn't acted.
    That's called cause-and-effect, not strawman.

    I realize you have no defense of the House inaction, which can't be defended, so you want to make this about the President.
    We wouldn't be talking about what actions Mr. Obama would be taking if the House had done its job.

    With many of the common-sense actions like my friend Beaudreax has put out along with like-minded GOP Congressmen.
    This country needs more Republicans like him if we're to get compromise on IR and move forward .
    So you support King Obama VIII?

    He's pretty much on an island on this, acting like Fidel Castro.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,939

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If a father is convicted of murder and goes to jail, the inhumanity of separation happens. If both parents are convicted of murder, it does as well. I don't think "inhumanity of family separation" is supposed to be taken into account during the application of laws, is it?
    It does matter with regards to deporting families.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #197
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,939

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Your point, other than to mischaracterize what happens during a deportation process?

    Regardless, let's assume we are treating them like wild dogs, the solution for them is quite simple - don't come/stay here illegally and we won't treat you like the wild dogs your behavior suggests.
    I agree that that they broke the law but I am arguing that there are mitigating circumstance that we have to take into account.

    I don't agree with the veiw that we have to ruthlessly condemn every illiegal the way we would a notorious murderer.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  8. #198
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,939

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    illegally is the KEY word....

    they broke the law, and by staying here, continue to break the law

    our immigration policy needs fixing....no denying it

    it shouldnt take 10-15 years to come here legally

    but by thumbing their nose at our laws, what should we be thinking about them

    i cant get past that issue.....i can understand their desire for a better life

    i cant understand them breaking the law, and NEVER trying to right that wrong
    Maybe because you don't understand that these people do not have the luxury of time.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #199
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    As I said before, I agree in some ways. I don't know why you would want to continue an argument that I have basically agreed with, but have only stated that it can be argued in court by the Congress that they in fact have that power. I'm not stating that they do, just that they can easily argue that they do.
    i stated what i stated because you said its a power...

    there is no such power in article 1 section 8

  10. #200
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I agree that that they broke the law but I am arguing that there are mitigating circumstance that we have to take into account.

    I don't agree with the veiw that we have to ruthlessly condemn every illiegal the way we would a notorious murderer.
    That is a fallacious argument because, with the laws on the books right now, we don't HAVE to "ruthlessly condemn" anyone. If we enforced current laws, they would leave on their own. If we secured the border, they wouldn't come back and we wouldn't get waves of more illegal immigrants.

    The only thing that would be left to do is to improve and streamline the ability for people to come here LEGALLY.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •