Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 362

Thread: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

  1. #121
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. Multitasking isn't a skill only those of us in the private sector need to rely on in order to do our jobs. Not all 200+ Democratic Congresspersons and 60 Democratic Senators spent all day every day writing the content of the ACA.
    Both houses of Congress have commitees that handle the writing of specific pieces of legeslation.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #122
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,146

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Both houses of Congress have commitees that handle the writing of specific pieces of legeslation.
    I already know that. But it doesn't have anything to do with what I posted.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #123
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The President is being forced to act because the House hasn't acted.
    That's called cause-and-effect, not strawman.
    No, that's not how our system of government works and you should know that. If the house has different priorities as to legislation does not grant the POTUS the power to legislate from the executive branch.

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I realize you have no defense of the House inaction, which can't be defended, so you want to make this about the President.
    We wouldn't be talking about what actions Mr. Obama would be taking if the House had done its job.

    With many of the common-sense actions like my friend Beaudreax has put out along with like-minded GOP Congressmen.
    This country needs more Republicans like him if we're to get compromise on IR and move forward .
    One, any bill coming from house republicans isn't going to see the light in the senate until Reid is gone as majority leader. Reid made that promise long ago and has kept it. Not to mention, as has already been stated by the incoming republican leadership, IR is not their first priority. The POTUS wants them to follow his TODO list, but it really doesn't work that way.

    Besides, Obama and the dems want the repubs tied up in an immigration debate.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, that's not how our system of government works and you should know that. If the house has different priorities as to legislation does not grant the POTUS the power to legislate from the executive branch.



    One, any bill coming from house republicans isn't going to see the light in the senate until Reid is gone as majority leader. Reid made that promise long ago and has kept it. Not to mention, as has already been stated by the incoming republican leadership, IR is not their first priority. The POTUS wants them to follow his TODO list, but it really doesn't work that way.
    The conservatives want the president to enact an conservative agenda, but that's not the way things work either.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #125
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    The conservatives want the president to enact an conservative agenda, but that's not the way things work either.
    You're right, it doesn't work that way - the POTUS does not enact, congress does that.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You're right, it doesn't work that way - the POTUS does not enact, congress does that.
    Obama is not a conservative though, and the legeslation the conservatives want to enact has little chance surviving a veto unless the bills are within reason.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  7. #127
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    since i follow constitutional law...i don't see it in the powers of congress.
    It's in Article One, where the Congress is given sole power to legislate and appropriate.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The fact that it was discussed didn't make it any less idiotic, just as the way the issuance of citizenship or green cards doesn't become any less idiotic to speculate about because people (including you) are discussing it.
    It's strains ALL credibility in my mind to believe that someone would make it through all the vetting systems, both internal and by opponents, that a person running for the highest office in the land actually isn't legally qualified for it. It doesn't strain credibility in my mind for this administration to potentially over reach on something, considering there's been instances where it can be argued by pointing at legitimate scholarly legal opinions (the prisoner release) to actual SCOTUS cases (overturning action done by executive branch actors). I get that you may find them on par, but I do see a slight difference...enough to warrant at least a minor discussion, if done with a full acknowledgement that we simply don't know yet and that it's more likely than not to go a different direction.

    I looked back at the posts, and you're right. I misunderstood your comments. My bad.
    Thanks. And let me be frank...I have zero issue with you taking a stance that it shouldn't even be discussed. I've said in other threads that I think discussing, and more specifically getting upset about, what to do about his Executive Actions on this matter is kind of irrelevant because we just frankly DON'T KNOW. Until it actually happens, or at least until he publicly announces what he plans, it's all just guesses and rumors right now.

    Now, unlike you, I don't see a problem DISCUSSING the rumors...I just don't see a reason to get upset or angry or worried about it because we just don't know. But I fully understand and think it's reasonable for someone to feel like even discussing it isn't even needed.

    I've got no issue with you feeling like it's not worthy of discussion....I had more of an issue with you seemingly acting like my discussion of it was a suggestion or implication it was likely, or that it's being done for some reason to push speculation that it will happen. It's not, I'm simply discussing the topic (government shutdown) and relating it to the rumors out there currently (and everything currently is unsubstantiated rumor).

    And it's not "likely something less than that" It's pretty much guaranteed because, as you have pointed out, granting permanent residency or citizenship are powers POTUS does not possess.
    Well, see...here you and I disagree. The President has shown a willingness to walk the line of acceptable and not acceptable, generally betting that he'll stay just close enough to "acceptable" that no significant action can be taken against him. My stance...not just on this President but in general...is that anyone that walks the line repeatedly has a legitimate chance of stepping over it at times. While I don't think it's likely he'd do something extremely blatantly unconstituional, I wouldn't be SHOCKED by something that's got some grey in it...such as green cards. While I personally would very much view that as a step in the naturalization process and outside of the Executives scope, I can absolutely step back and play devil's advocate and see a way of arguing that it isn't *technically* naturalization and thus is within that scope.

    So me and you simply disagree on how much of a "guarantee" it is. You seem to be in the camp that would think its like a 1% shot, if not 0%. I'd probably put it closer to a 10% that he does something that a legitimate argument could be made falls in line with the role of naturalization in some fashion. Likely? Absolutely not. Aliens from Mars? Not quite.

  9. #129
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,805

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    How many of those 24 months did Democrats have 60 votes?
    Keeping in mind Al Franken and Ted Kennedy.
    And the unprecedented number of McConnell filibusters in that 2009 term alone, not to mention the 2011 and 2013 terms .

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. Multitasking isn't a skill only those of us in the private sector need to rely on in order to do our jobs. Not all 200+ Democratic Congresspersons and 60 Democratic Senators spent all day every day writing the content of the ACA.
    Physics is Phun

  10. #130
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    It's in Article One, where the Congress is given sole power to legislate and appropriate.
    sorry that's not correct....article 1 grants congress general powers, their are no powers authorizing foreign aid.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •