Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

  1. #31
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Thus pud can't even attend a summit without threatening-theatrics.

    Good! let him. If the cost of oil keeps tanking he won’t be able to pay crew.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,308

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad View Post
    The Black Sea is a Russian lake for all intents and purposes. Been there. Have you?
    Not in Georgia, only in the area. But what does that have to do with it? You think that Putin's land grab was okay there? It is true that it is at the furthest fringes of Europe and far away. But land grab is not good precedence as Ukraine is learning. The small Baltic countries are worried about that point.

  3. #33
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,118

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad View Post
    The Black Sea is a Russian lake for all intents and purposes. Been there. Have you?
    I have and I've lived in Crimea and Odessa. Russian lake? Five countries - Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine - have a littoral Black Sea coastline. The 1936 Montreux Convention provides for a free passage of civilian ships between the international waters of the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. Turkey has a complete control over the Turkish Straits connecting the two seas. The 1982 amendments to the Montreux Convention allow Turkey to close the Straits at its discretion in both wartime and peacetime.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  4. #34
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    72

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    I have and I've lived in Crimea and Odessa. Russian lake? Five countries - Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine - have a littoral Black Sea coastline. The 1936 Montreux Convention provides for a free passage of civilian ships between the international waters of the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. Turkey has a complete control over the Turkish Straits connecting the two seas. The 1982 amendments to the Montreux Convention allow Turkey to close the Straits at its discretion in both wartime and peacetime.
    ...and that disputes the fact that Russia treats the Black Sea as their own. My guided missile cruiser was shadowed and harassed every minute that we dared to violate their "lake".

  5. #35
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,118

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad View Post
    ...and that disputes the fact that Russia treats the Black Sea as their own. My guided missile cruiser was shadowed and harassed every minute that we dared to violate their "lake".
    The Black Sea does not belong to Russia. Period.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  6. #36
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by AuburnGrad View Post
    ...and that disputes the fact that Russia treats the Black Sea as their own. My guided missile cruiser was shadowed and harassed every minute that we dared to violate their "lake".
    You have a guided missile cruiser? You are the coolest dude on DP.

    /thread

  7. #37
    Educator
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-20-17 @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,153

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    But the Ruskies have submarines that our Navy can't find. And our carriers are scared of the Ruskies Slava class cruisers.
    Basically a myth. The USN has historically never had much trouble tracking Russian submarines.

    And in the event of a war the Slava class cruisers would be lucky to last long enough to get their 16 missiles off.

    The Slava's are an interesting design, but they are basically fallbacks in case the Kirovs failed to work properly.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Basically a myth. The USN has historically never had much trouble tracking Russian submarines.

    And in the event of a war the Slava class cruisers would be lucky to last long enough to get their 16 missiles off.

    The Slava's are an interesting design, but they are basically fallbacks in case the Kirovs failed to work properly.
    >" The Defense Ministry has ordered a total of six Varshavyanka-class subs, dubbed "black holes in the ocean" by the US Navy because they are nearly undetectable when submerged..."<

    Russia


    >"The Project 636 Kilo-class submarine has been dubbed the “black hole” by the U.S. Navy for its level of quietness. The Project 636MV-class sub has improved stealth features through the removal of flooding ports and treating the hull with multilayer anechoic rubber tiles. The tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb active sonar waves that reduce and distort the return signal. The anechoic tiles also shield sounds from within the submarine thus reducing the range of detection by passive sonar.

    The improved Kilo is 73.8 meters (242 ft.) in length, 9.9 meters (32.4 ft.) in width with a draft of 6.2 meters (20.34 ft.). It has a surface displacement of 2,350 tons and can dive up to quarter of a mile. The improved Kilo is powered by diesel-electric engines. It has a range of 9,650 km (5,996 miles) and can travel 700 km (434 miles) underwater at 2.7 knots (5 km/hour) at quiet speed. The Kilo can reach a top speed of 20 knots (37 km/hour). Vietnam apparently has not opted for the Air Independent Propulsion system that would permit extended time on patrol. The Improved Kilo has a crew of 57.

    The Project 636MV submarine has six 533-mm forward torpedo tubes. It can carry 18 torpedoes (six loaded in the tubes and 12 in racks) or 24 mines (two in each tube and 12 in racks). Two of the torpedo tubes are designed to fire remote-controlled torpedoes with very high accuracy. The improved Kilo can also fire anti-ship cruise missiles from its torpedo tubes. The Kilo also carries MANPADS Strela-3 antiaircraft missiles..."<

    Russian Subs in Vietnam - USNI News

  9. #39
    Educator
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-20-17 @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,153

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    >" The Defense Ministry has ordered a total of six Varshavyanka-class subs, dubbed "black holes in the ocean" by the US Navy because they are nearly undetectable when submerged..."<

    Russia


    >"The Project 636 Kilo-class submarine has been dubbed the “black hole” by the U.S. Navy for its level of quietness. The Project 636MV-class sub has improved stealth features through the removal of flooding ports and treating the hull with multilayer anechoic rubber tiles. The tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb active sonar waves that reduce and distort the return signal. The anechoic tiles also shield sounds from within the submarine thus reducing the range of detection by passive sonar.

    The improved Kilo is 73.8 meters (242 ft.) in length, 9.9 meters (32.4 ft.) in width with a draft of 6.2 meters (20.34 ft.). It has a surface displacement of 2,350 tons and can dive up to quarter of a mile. The improved Kilo is powered by diesel-electric engines. It has a range of 9,650 km (5,996 miles) and can travel 700 km (434 miles) underwater at 2.7 knots (5 km/hour) at quiet speed. The Kilo can reach a top speed of 20 knots (37 km/hour). Vietnam apparently has not opted for the Air Independent Propulsion system that would permit extended time on patrol. The Improved Kilo has a crew of 57.

    The Project 636MV submarine has six 533-mm forward torpedo tubes. It can carry 18 torpedoes (six loaded in the tubes and 12 in racks) or 24 mines (two in each tube and 12 in racks). Two of the torpedo tubes are designed to fire remote-controlled torpedoes with very high accuracy. The improved Kilo can also fire anti-ship cruise missiles from its torpedo tubes. The Kilo also carries MANPADS Strela-3 antiaircraft missiles..."<

    Russian Subs in Vietnam - USNI News
    Kilo's are 20 year old technology.

    And finding an SSK has always been more annoyance than anything. They can operate best in shallow, coastal waters. Not in blue waters where carriers operate.

  10. #40
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Vladimir Putin stations Russian warships off Australia's coast ahead of G20

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Are you saying if something happens to the president whilst in Africa he should go unprotected to a local hospital?
    Only a Democratic president.

    Or was there an audible Apachie squeak when Laura Bush was setting the record as the most-travelled First Lady of all time:

    Watchdog group's double standard with Obama and Bush kids' vacations | Washington Times Communities

    And when the Buch twins took a 2006 trip to Argentina:

    U.S. Embassy Asks Bush Twins to Leave Country - ABC News

    There was not even a pretense of state business in the twins' Argentina trip.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •