Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Is it not a conflict of interest?


    Sure, I'd say it probably is.


    Two reasons I don't think it is a big deal....

    1. I am reasonably sure most politicians do a lot worse.

    2. If I was him I'd do the same for my son under the same circumstances, and if it cost my political career, then so be it.


    If he gets dinged for some kind of ethics violation, so be it. I'm just not gonna throw the first stone when I would have done the same though.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #22
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    This level of compassion and reasonability shouldn't be limited to sons of governors.
    and it isn't... he pardoned 700 other people.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Over a decade ago, why the need for a pardon in the first place? He'll still have to answer yes to the "have you ever been arrested/convicted" question on employment applications.
    A pardon from a governor can be the difference between getting that job and being seen as a pariah for the rest of your life.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sure, I'd say it probably is.


    Two reasons I don't think it is a big deal....

    1. I am reasonably sure most politicians do a lot worse.

    2. If I was him I'd do the same for my son under the same circumstances, and if it cost my political career, then so be it.


    If he gets dinged for some kind of ethics violation, so be it. I'm just not gonna throw the first stone when I would have done the same though.
    I appreciate your honesty and reflection, I truly do. I just think it's a sad state of affairs when we think (trust me I do the same with the idiots we elect here in Canada) when we pull the "the other guy does a lot worse, so it's okay." It really shouldn't be because of the following: other Americans, with the same type of record, will not get the privilege of pardon because their parents -- who probably love them as much -- do not have the power to do so. It's not fair... they are not fortunate sons, yet they are just as American as the other. I feel compassion for the son, it seems like he's turned over a new leaf. But to me, he should not be pardoned over any one else who is equally deserving or even more deserving.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #25
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    and it isn't... he pardoned 700 other people.
    I'm fairly certain that there are more than 700 citizens of Arkansas with non violent criminal histories.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  6. #26
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrepresented View Post
    I'm fairly certain that there are more than 700 citizens of Arkansas with non violent criminal histories.
    ... If he had pardoned them all, you would have been satisfied? 700 people being pardoned on a case by case basis is pretty good. It's around 2 cases a day for a year. Far better than what the average governor deals with. Your outrage is noted, but it's not different than anything I would do.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #27
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    A pardon from a governor can be the difference between getting that job and being seen as a pariah for the rest of your life.
    Not for a simple marijuana conviction 10 years ago for which he had already served his probation. The folks who are likely to be concerned at all by that aren't going to be swayed another way because he was pardoned by his father. It seems like a risky and zero sum gain move by a politician to make.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not for a simple marijuana conviction 10 years ago for which he had already served his probation. The folks who are likely to be concerned at all by that aren't going to be swayed another way because he was pardoned by his father. It seems like a risky and zero sum gain move by a politician to make.
    You ever been convicted of a felony?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #29
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You ever been convicted of a felony?
    No, but I've many times been on the other side of the HR table. The pardon won't erase his conviction in any practical manner. Again, he'll still have to answer yes to your question. Every form I've ever seen that contains that question also asks for an explanation. That it was what it was and 10 years ago, sentence fully discharged, is enough.

  10. #30
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Arkansas governor to pardon son on drug charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ... If he had pardoned them all, you would have been satisfied? 700 people being pardoned on a case by case basis is pretty good. It's around 2 cases a day for a year. Far better than what the average governor deals with. Your outrage is noted, but it's not different than anything I would do.
    I'm not against him correcting an unjust ruling, my concern is that the unjust laws still stand and are strengthened by the perception of oversight, rather than corrected.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •