Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 86

Thread: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

  1. #61
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,961
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The effective rate is about 24% and the other developed nations come in at around 20%-23% so ours are not out of line. Of course, if you want us to have an economy like the Bahamas or Bermuda, we could lower ours to theirs.
    I'll take your word for it. But I find it hard to understand why we can't have a set rate and tax at that rate. I know that means eliminating deductions and loop holes, but wouldn't it be better just to tax corporations at 24% on a post card return than to go through all the hoops to get a 40% rate down to 24%.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #62
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Depends on what one means by "strongest". I would rather have an economy growing at 7% than 2%
    Sure, but I'd also rather live the average standard of living in the US with 2% growth, than to live the Chinese standard of living with 7% growth.

    2% of our median wage is far more than 7% of China's median wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #63
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    The tax rate they actually pay "isnt a good indicator of caputring what Corporations pay in corporate taxes"?
    Um, no. And if you do, I have a couple of questions for you:

    1) What type of Corporate Tax System does the United States currently have?

    2) How much income do you believe the average Corporation makes?

    When you understand the answer to both, you'll understand how misleading the effective tax rate is.

  4. #64
    Educator WallStreetVixen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York City/London
    Last Seen
    06-04-15 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    715

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    What metric do you suggest one use to capture what corporations pay in corporate taxes?
    There is no adequate metric for capturing what corporations pay in Corporate Taxes. The Effective Corporate Tax Rate is merely the total tax liability of all Corporations divided by the total taxable income of all corporations lumped in together. The problem with this equation is that it lumps in all corporations, regardless of income, and assume all corporations have the same marginal tax bracket. They don't.

    The only true way to determine what Corporations pay is to calculate the effective tax rate according to their income, just like we do with individuals.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Someone has to pay taxes. If we eliminated corporate taxes, we would have to increase individual income taxes, and the net effect on the economy would be just the same.
    Really ?

    More tax payers, not higher taxes on a shrinking number of people who can pay them.

    Incentivize corporate investment into the economy and you CREATE more tax payers.

    Increase taxes on those who you feel SHOULD pay higher taxes and you get the last 6 years of economic stagnation and part time jobs.

  6. #66
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I'll take your word for it. But I find it hard to understand why we can't have a set rate and tax at that rate. I know that means eliminating deductions and loop holes, but wouldn't it be better just to tax corporations at 24% on a post card return than to go through all the hoops to get a 40% rate down to 24%.
    This is a common misunderstanding. The complexity of the tax code has nothing to do with figuring out your tax rate. Once you've figured out your taxable income, all you have to do is look up your rate in a table, and multiple. Any fourth grader should be able to do that. The complexity comes when figuring taxable income.

    And sure, it can get complicated figuring out what deductions one is entitled to, but there's no getting around that because "deduction" is just another word for "expense". If nothing was deductible, then we would be taxing businesses on their revenue which makes no sense because it's possible to have billions in revenue yet have no profit.

    However, if the complexity flummoxes any business, there's a simple solution - they can not take the deductibles and pay more taxes than they're required to.
    Last edited by sangha; 11-14-14 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #67
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Really ?

    More tax payers, not higher taxes on a shrinking number of people who can pay them.

    Incentivize corporate investment into the economy and you CREATE more tax payers.

    Increase taxes on those who you feel SHOULD pay higher taxes and you get the last 6 years of economic stagnation and part time jobs.
    The only thing that incentivizes corporate investment is an increase in demand. Eliminating corporate taxation would do little to increase demand, but lowering taxes on individuals who have the highest propensity to spend would significantly increase demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #68
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    Um, no. And if you do, I have a couple of questions for you:

    1) What type of Corporate Tax System does the United States currently have?

    2) How much income do you believe the average Corporation makes?

    When you understand the answer to both, you'll understand how misleading the effective tax rate is.
    How about you just explain yourself instead of playing Socrates?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #69
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,961
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    This is a common misunderstanding. The complexity of the tax code has nothing to do with figuring out your tax rate. Once you've figured out your taxable income, all you have to do is look up your rate in a table, and multiple. Any fourth grader should be able to do that. The complexity comes when figuring taxable income.

    And sure, it can get complicated figuring out what deductions one is entitled to, but there's no getting around that because "deduction" is just another word for "expense". If nothing was deductible, then we would be taxing businesses on their revenue which makes no sense because it's possible to have billions in revenue yet have no profit.

    However, if the complexity flummoxes any business, there's a simple solution - they can not take the deductibles and pay more taxes than they're required to.
    Guess that is why I go to H&R Block. I agree, taxing total revenue without deducting expenses would be asinine. So the 40% corporate tax rate is applied only to profit. It is figuring out exactly what is an expense that is where all those CPA's and financial guru's come in.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #70
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: U.S. Companies Now Stashing $2 Trillion Overseas

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    Um, no. And if you do,


    I have a couple of questions for you:

    1) What type of Corporate Tax System does the United States currently have?
    A corporate tax system...


    2) How much income do you believe the average Corporation makes?
    This is subjective question..

    When you understand the answer to both, you'll understand how misleading the effective tax rate is.
    How does one hold a subjective question to analyze what you are claiming to be 100% fact?


Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •