Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 185

Thread: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Just because they had orders that were lawful under US law does not mean they are right.
    What were they doing that was wrong? They appeared to be standing in line when attacked, doing harm to no one.

  2. #82
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I'm basing it on the fact that there are significant numbers of civilian deaths.
    Which is why you couldn't get more wrong about it since numbers never dictate intentions.
    If that's what you're basing your argument on then it simply holds no water.

    As to your second point, there are more "terrorists" in the United States than any other country around the world according to the FBI. So, are you saying the US should call for outside force to help us out at home?
    When was the last time an American citizen had committed an act of terrorism on non-American soil?
    And America is actually known to pursue and deliver justice upon its own criminals, unlike your sovereign countries.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #83
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Which is why you couldn't get more wrong about it since numbers never dictate intentions.
    If that's what you're basing your argument on then it simply holds no water.
    It doesn't work that way. This is the same thing as a mother saying "I was just trying to quiet my baby, I didn't mean to suffocate it."


    When was the last time an American citizen had committed an act of terrorism on non-American soil?
    They carry out acts of terror here. Religious terrorists, crazed shooters, bombings.

    And America is actually known to pursue and deliver justice upon its own criminals, unlike your sovereign countries.
    So therefore, it is ok that the US kills as many citizens as they want in that country. And we wonder why Americans get attacked by foreigners (its mindsets like that)
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #84
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What were they doing that was wrong? They appeared to be standing in line when attacked, doing harm to no one.
    You missed the beginning of the discussion. In this case I do not condone the attacks. I am referring to the quote in the original article that was a Turk man yelling that Americans were murderers.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #85
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    When was the last time an American citizen had committed an act of terrorism on non-American soil?
    And America is actually known to pursue and deliver justice upon its own criminals, unlike your sovereign countries.
    Americans citizens are part of drug gangs who commit considerably more violence than terrorists. If the Mexicans started droning McDonalds if a cartel guy was inside, I doubt you'd accept the dead Americans as mere collateral damage.

  6. #86
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Americans citizens are part of drug gangs who commit considerably more violence than terrorists. If the Mexicans started droning McDonalds if a cartel guy was inside, I doubt you'd accept the dead Americans as mere collateral damage.
    Up until the second line I thought you were joking, from then on it's a total face palm.
    I wouldn't even go into this I'll just note that drug gang members are not terrorists so your argument too holds no water.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #87
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    It doesn't work that way. This is the same thing as a mother saying "I was just trying to quiet my baby, I didn't mean to suffocate it."
    No, it doesn't work the way you want it to work.
    You cannot bring up numbers and expect it to make an argument for intention for you.
    Unless you are agreeing that Americans do not target civilians and what you are claiming is that they are causing a lot of collateral damage and that's an entirely different approach.

    They carry out acts of terror here. Religious terrorists, crazed shooters, bombings.
    Not really, and it's not non-American soil so once more the point you're trying to make, has no basis.

    So therefore, it is ok that the US kills as many citizens as they want in that country. And we wonder why Americans get attacked by foreigners (its mindsets like that)
    The US doesn't target civilians.
    It's okay for the US to be there and it's perfectly legal because the sovereign countries attacked have proven incapability in handling the international terror threats that their citizens impose.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #88
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Turkey didn't assault those sailors, a group of anti-government Turkish youths did. Certainly the fringes of a semi-secular Islamic society in the heart of the Middle East is going to be quite extreme. These were essentially Turkish skinheads, not the norm.

  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    It does when there is no official declaration of war against a state. If we were at war with Iraq then it would be understandable that the Iraqi civilians would be collateral, but, we are at an unofficial war with a nomadic ideology.
    A distinction without a difference. The civilian collateral damage in a war renders those people just as dead. Your definition makes no sense.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: US Sailors Victims of Videotaped Attack in Istanbul

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    No, I don't have any links. But you do not see uniformed members in airports traveling like you did when I was in military in early 70's. Maybe some current members of the military here can comment as to whether they are advised or ordered not to wear uniform.
    When I was traveling in the early '70's, I always wore my uniform because you had to in order to qualify for military standby flights. The early '70's was a much tougher time to be in the military and I never had any problems in airports. It's difficult for me to believe that servicemen are having difficulties in US airports today.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •