Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

  1. #31
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Here's what the Constitution says.
    I understand that. The primary power still resides with the President because he decides who to initiate treaty negotiations with, he can decide to not submit a treaty to congress and he can decide to not finalize a treaty after congress has consented to it.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #32
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The United States is a sovereign nation.

    It is none of the UN's business, nor of any other outsiders, what laws we make and enforce within the borders of our own nation.
    That's incorrect. Article VI paragraph 2 elevates all treaties that the United States enters into to the status of federal statute. Only the Constitution itself supersedes them.

    This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  3. #33
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I understand that. The primary power still resides with the President because he decides who to initiate treaty negotiations with, he can decide to not submit a treaty to congress and he can decide to not finalize a treaty after congress has consented to it.
    What is your point? What I have stated is correct, and that's all there is to it. I think you just want to argue about small bull****. If there is a treaty in place that is related to the UN agreement on drugs, then we are obliged to follow it. It's not my fault if we were stupid enough to sign up for such a treaty.

    God damn!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What is your point? What I have stated is correct, and that's all there is to it. I think you just want to argue about small bull****. If there is a treaty in place that is related to the UN agreement on drugs, then we are obliged to follow it. It's not my fault if we were stupid enough to sign up for such a treaty.

    God damn!
    I agree. We singed the treaty we are obligated to follow it until we decide to abrogate it.

    My point is simply that the President is the primary responsible party with respect to treaties. Congress role is important but decidedly secondary.

    I made that statement because of a statement of yours that seemed to say the opposite. If I got that wrong my apologies.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #35
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency | Reuters

    Better smoke em while you got em, because the UN wants to take away your drugs.
    Our first amendment also violates the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD). This is because we allow hate speech in America, which I am fine with. And as Dave Chapelle said:

    Goto: 3:10
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #36
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    They dont. The guy is just doing his job, as is the UN, where drugs are "bad and illegal" because that is what the UN members have agreed on. If you have to blame anyone, blame decades of conservative thinking on drugs in the west including the US, because that is what has defined the official view of the UN.. which this guy is only following.
    Pete, I feel it has always been a bi-partisan campaign. If you want to pin the whole thing on Republicans, that is fine, but the Democrats have their hands in this too.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #37
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Pete, I feel it has always been a bi-partisan campaign. If you want to pin the whole thing on Republicans, that is fine, but the Democrats have their hands in this too.
    Where did I say GOP or Democrats? I said "conservative thinking"... I am fully aware that even the left wing was anti drug 40 years ago.. it was how society with massive influence from religious quarters saw drugs.. hell even alcohol in some times and countries. But it is that "conservative thinking" that is the basis of the UN view on drugs.
    PeteEU

  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Where did I say GOP or Democrats? I said "conservative thinking"... I am fully aware that even the left wing was anti drug 40 years ago.. it was how society with massive influence from religious quarters saw drugs.. hell even alcohol in some times and countries. But it is that "conservative thinking" that is the basis of the UN view on drugs.
    My mistake. I read it as republican.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  9. #39
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,962

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Those UN anti drug laws were hammered into place by the US Federal Government.

  10. #40
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: U.S. states' pot legalization not in line with international law: U.N. agency

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    That's incorrect. Article VI paragraph 2 elevates all treaties that the United States enters into to the status of federal statute. Only the Constitution itself supersedes them.
    Such treaties are legitimate where they concern the dealings between our nation and other nations.

    No other nation has any business intruding on what we do within the borders of our own nation. Period. That's what being a sovereign nation is about, after all. If we allow any outside nation or organization to dictate what we may or may not do within the borders of our own nation, then we give up our status as a sovereign nation.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •