Page 92 of 143 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1422

Thread: Stupidity of the American Voter?

  1. #911
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

  2. #912
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Do you people like inflicting pain on yourselves? It amazes me that any of you still seriously converse with that guy.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #913
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Nice try, however most of the federal dole goes to the inner city welfare weenies....whether they are in Blue or Red states.
    America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist
    20110806_WOM959_0.jpg
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #914
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    You can stop the spin. Ofcourse he is no Stalin. However he is a tyrant. And he has broken the law.
    Sure, cite the law(s) he's broken. Good luck in court.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #915
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The same thing that they thought about education - that it should not be a federal gov't matter. Simply because something is "important" does not make it a federal government matter.
    Your honestly telling me that if the Founding Fathers were alive and well today, you know their stance on health care?

    Jesus.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #916
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    That map is misleading. The green spots are simplistic because they don't account for Federal spending that props up major industries that by multiplier effects help generate tax revenue to offset the Federal spending.

    Texas for example is green, yet one of its biggest industries, Aerospace is heavily dependent on Federal spending. Take that out and the spending impacts down the line would result in huge reductions in activity and thus Federal taxes.

    The red states are even worse when you account for states like Virgina that have massive portions of their economies dependent on Federal contracts. Not only does Virgina not only result in a net negative for the Federal government, but that's on top of all of the activity that the Federal government is essentially providing there. So if we removed Federal spending, Virgina would likely be even more red.

    The only real way to determine if a state isn't Federal spending dependent is to see what industries it relies on for its economic activity and what the impact would be of reducing Federal spending in those areas. Cutting federal aerospace in Texas would eviscerate large portions of its tech industry, removing Federal defense in Virgina would be hugely painful and removing defense spending in Hawaii would break the state.

    That map helps, but it's really simplistic
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #917
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,622

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Well...careful now. There was quite a bit of support for President Washington's National University concept, including Benjamin Rush and James Madison. A twin consequence was also with the military academy, which was eventually created under Jefferson.
    Using the reasoning (excuse?) that an educated and healthy (or any other desirable trait) population is "necessary and proper" could, indeed, be used to make things (everything and anything?) into "derived" federal powers. If that is your argument then there are no bounds (limits?) to federal powers except how clever one is in making the argument for including (adding?) them. The question then becomes - why have states at all?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #918
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,076

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    It certainly did have a negative effect on the housing market. It is ignorant to suggest otherwise.
    The hell it would. You do not know what red lining is. It was a racist business policy that would lay a map on the table and say "we will not give loans to anyone within these red lines. Basically carving out the black neighborhoods. Unlike what the right wing propaganda says, the anti-redline policy didn't force anyone to give loans to people who couldn't afford it. It said you couldn't use red lines as an excuse to deny someone a loan who is eminently qualified for that loan.

    You're welcome for this enlightenment. You and your cohorts would have so much more credibility and intelligence had you followed evidence rather than starting with the political angle that "It's the gubamints fault!!!!1!111!!!.... now how can I prove this?" then fabricate lines to support your conclusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #919
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,695

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Using the reasoning (excuse?) that an educated and healthy (or any other desirable trait) population is "necessary and proper" could, indeed, be used to make things (everything and anything?) into "derived" federal powers. If that is your argument then there are no bounds (limits?) to federal powers except how clever one is in making the argument for including (adding?) them. The question then becomes - why have states at all?
    There's a place for the states, and often it makes sense to use federalism because it works better. However, it should also be explained that some founders like Hamilton thought there shouldn't be any states except to be completely subservient to the national government. It mostly became a necessity to placate the Southerners.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #920
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,137
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Sure, cite the law(s) he's broken. Good luck in court.
    So if he can get away with it, does that make it OK in your book?

    Bill Clinton got away with the whole Monica/Grand Jury thing, but it still didn't make what he did right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •