Page 70 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 1422

Thread: Stupidity of the American Voter?

  1. #691
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Explain "politically feasible"... because it sure as hell looks like a conservative way of being Politically Correct in calling the electorate too stupid to know better.
    The architect of Obamacare always called the electorate stupid. He apparently was right with the 41% that still support Obama

  2. #692
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Here's the U-6 charted out so that everyone can see the trends... TRENDS. That thing you can't stand:

    Attachment 67175869

    link to easier to read blown up version.

    Oh look at that. Bush drove up the U-6 numbers to the horrific levels and it's been declining every since the economy rebounded after Bush disappeared from office. Go freegin' figure. Learn to read Conservative.

    Here's one more up to date. Enjoy Con.

    Attachment 67175870
    LOL, discouraged workers are still higher than any number Bush ever had and when you get to record levels you better decline. You simply don't have a clue and nothing Obama has done is going to change your mind. Ideology trumps reality and that is sad. Again you pointed to the 700,000 jobs lost and claimed it was monthly and I actually gave you the monthly discouraged workers which were higher than any number Bush ever generated but those are ignored.

  3. #693
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Oh look Conservative... Here's that GDP you were crowing about...

    Attachment 67175872

    Pretty amazing what comes to light when you put date trends into the equation ain't it Con?

    time for you to disappear right after you throw a slew of personal insults. THAT... is your trend.
    It is amazing what all that govt. spending will do to GDP, raise the debt and not create full time jobs. Thank you Obama. Guess your base is indeed stupid

  4. #694
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Why do you say they "certainly are unemployed?" Ever since the introduction of the Labor Force concept in the 1930's, actually looking for work has always been the main definition of unemployed. So what definition of unemployed are you using and where does it come from?

    I am sure you understand the definition but the reality is discouraged workers go in and out of the labor force depending on economic conditions but for others here is the definition

    Discouraged worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  5. #695
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I am sure you understand the definition but the reality is discouraged workers go in and out of the labor force depending on economic conditions but for others here is the definition

    Discouraged worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, I know perfectly well what a Discouraged Worker is. What I'm asking is by what rationale are you saying they "certainly are unemployed?" What definition of Unemployed are you using that someone who is not available for work and cannot be hired (because he's not doing anything at all to find a job) is unemployed? And what makes them unemployed moreso than all other Marginally attached?
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #696
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreetVixen View Post
    Interesting, even financial advisors don't have much confidence in the intelligence average American.

    Makes me wonder how I'm able to sleep at night... I'm sure I'll get over it.



    You'd have to live to be 115 to get nearly everything back of what you put into Social Security. Wouldn't rely on the income you get from selling your home. Not less you're expecting another real estate boom.
    Keeping in mind how my father-in-law's retirement funds were almost depleted on the advice of a financial advisor, rest assured I am keep him at arm's length and not putting any significant weight into what I am being told by him.

    In regard to living to 115 to get my SS investments back, that would depend on how much I have put in, how old I am now and when I decide to retire. Unless you know those factors, it would be hard to make that claim as an absolute. But I hear what you're saying.

    Regarding my home, there's a lot of truth in that. Worst case scenario, unless the nation goes belly up and my home is deemed worthless, I should be able to get at least 200k from it, after I am finished paying it off, which will be about 3 years from now. Best case scenario, 230k or there abouts, by the time I reach retirement. My neighbor's house, which is about the same as mine was just appraised by the city at 220k. (But he has a new roof and driveway.) City appraisals around here always are always lower than the market appraisal value. So he shouldn't have any problem getting 220-240k if he decides to sell at this point in time. I don't live in a mansion. But it's comfortable.

    Thank you for your reply. Have a GREAT Friday!!!
    Last edited by Captain America; 11-14-14 at 10:01 AM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #697
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Yes, I know perfectly well what a Discouraged Worker is. What I'm asking is by what rationale are you saying they "certainly are unemployed?" What definition of Unemployed are you using that someone who is not available for work and cannot be hired (because he's not doing anything at all to find a job) is unemployed? And what makes them unemployed moreso than all other Marginally attached?
    The fact that they move in and out of the category means that they actually do want a job but are unable to get one so they become discouraged and stop looking until the economy gets better. Did you ever answer the question as to whether or not more discouraged workers affect the officially released unemployment rate?

  8. #698
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,681

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    The Department of Education makes Americans stupid and the Democrats leverage that to pass stupid bills.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #699
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The fact that they move in and out of the category means that they actually do want a job but are unable to get one so they become discouraged and stop looking until the economy gets better.
    All you're saying is that because they move out of the definition of unemployed they are "certainly unemployed" all the time. But all marginally attached, and also groups like students move in and out as well.

    The point is that while they are not looking for a job, they are no more available for work than someone who doesn't want a job. When they are looking then they are unemployed.

    Did you ever answer the question as to whether or not more discouraged workers affect the officially released unemployment rate?
    Since the unemployment rate is unemployed/(employed + unemployed) then no, of course discouraged workers do not affect the unemployment rate. If you're going to claim that they do because they're no longer in the equation, that's true for anyone who leaves the labor force.

    And if you really think it's important, follow the U-4 measure (Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization) It moves in the same direction as the official rate (U3)
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #700
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Stupidity of the American Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    All you're saying is that because they move out of the definition of unemployed they are "certainly unemployed" all the time. But all marginally attached, and also groups like students move in and out as well.

    The point is that while they are not looking for a job, they are no more available for work than someone who doesn't want a job. When they are looking then they are unemployed.


    Since the unemployment rate is unemployed/(employed + unemployed) then no, of course discouraged workers do not affect the unemployment rate. If you're going to claim that they do because they're no longer in the equation, that's true for anyone who leaves the labor force.

    And if you really think it's important, follow the U-4 measure (Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization) It moves in the same direction as the official rate (U3)
    Really? discouraged workers don't affect the officially released unemployment rate? The more discouraged workers the lower the unemployment number and the lower the OFFICIALLY released rate. The U-6 rate remains high, the labor force hasn't kept up with population growth, and the number of part time workers looking for full time jobs remains high. In the most important demographics the unemployment numbers remain extremely high and African Americans are suffering as well. The electorate sees it, why can't you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •