Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69

Thread: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Huff Po is putting it out as BO wants the Strongest Possible rules.....Wheeler says everything is on the table.

    On Monday, President Barack Obama came out in favor of the "strongest possible rules to protect net neutrality," endorsing a popular proposal that would empower the Federal Communications Commission to require Internet service providers to treat all web traffic equally and not charge content providers for better access.

    "We cannot allow Internet service providers to restrict the best access or to pick winners and losers in the online marketplace for services and ideas," Obama said in a statement.

    Last week, The Wall Street Journal reported that the FCC was considering a "hybrid" compromise that would empower ISPs to make deals with companies to allow for faster content delivery, while still allowing for oversight.....snip~

    Obama Urges FCC To Set 'Strongest Possible Rules' To Protect Net Neutrality
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-...154738302.html
    So, you against net neutrality or in favor of it?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Read the post above yours. Restricting content on the internet is no different than banning books at federal libraries. Say the government decided to censor books like Mein Kempf or the Communist Manifesto on the grounds that access to it could corrupt the minds of the young. They'd basically have to argue that you don't have a right to that information. That's a pretty big violation of freedom of speech. Access to information is covered under the 1st in the same way dissemination of said information.
    I'm not going to trust the federal government to give a tinker's dam about me or my rights. Maybe that's just me, but it's how I feel. If they could be trusted to do so, there would have not been any of the court cases people could quote to support the reason why they can't do it and to trust them. It's a circular argument that is based on the fallacy that the government is restrained by either the law or the courts.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  3. #53
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I know what Net Neutrality is, and support it completely, including legislation to make it law. I do not support the FCC regulating the internet (no gay sites, no unlimited access to sites that may be "questionable" in their content, etc.). The FCC regulates what we can and cannot see or hear on the TV and radio - I do not want them having that power over the internet. Can you imagine Ted Cruz being in charge of the FCC internet oversight committee?
    The FCC won't have regulation over the internet, they are trying to regulate the people that want to regulate the internet.

    Regulating the internet can come with some pretty damning consequences for those in power, just look at the arab spring, where regulation of the internet was a major driving force in numerous circumstances. The only reason it works in places such as China and Bahrain is because it's been around since near the www's introduction into those countries.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  4. #54
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    The FCC won't have regulation over the internet, they are trying to regulate the people that want to regulate the internet.

    Regulating the internet can come with some pretty damning consequences for those in power, just look at the arab spring, where regulation of the internet was a major driving force in numerous circumstances. The only reason it works in places such as China and Bahrain is because it's been around since near the www's introduction into those countries.
    You're conflating Net Neutrality and federal regulation by the FCC. I do not and will not believe that once the FCC gets such powers that it will end at the ISP.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So, you against net neutrality or in favor of it?
    I am in favor of it.....but I would be against the FCC regulating the Internet. For the same reasons Beaudreaux has brought out.

    Do you think those other less restrictive rules that BO doesn't care about should be brought out into the open?

  6. #56
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I'm not going to trust the federal government to give a tinker's dam about me or my rights. Maybe that's just me, but it's how I feel. If they could be trusted to do so, there would have not been any of the court cases people could quote to support the reason why they can't do it and to trust them. It's a
    circular argument that is based on the fallacy that the government is restrained by either the law or the courts.
    So your argument that you don't want the government to ensure net neutrality is because... they can overstep their boundaries? That's a pretty soft argument, my friend.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #57
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    You're conflating Net Neutrality and federal regulation by the FCC. I do not and will not believe that once the FCC gets such powers that it will end at the ISP.
    Am I conflating the two or are you???

    Net neutrality does not give the FCC any authorization to regulate the internet in any way. Net neutrality is synonymous with keeping all regulation, private or public, away from the internet. If there is legislation that needs to be made to enforce this then that's necessary due to the nature of business, it still doesn't give the FCC the ability to actually regulate the internet itself.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #58
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So your argument that you don't want the government to ensure net neutrality is because... they can overstep their boundaries? That's a pretty soft argument, my friend.
    The US DOJ can enforce legislation, which is the way it should be done. The FCC does not need to be allowed to create rules and regulations by treating the internet as a utility under laws that already exist, but have absolutely nothing to do with the uniqueness of the internet. The FCC should not be given authority that it does not have. The Congress needs to pass legislation and let the DOJ enforce it and prosecute any ISP that breaks the law.

    And, it isn't an argument, but rather my belief. A closely held belief based on my ~30 years dealing with the federal government in one form or another.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  9. #59
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Am I conflating the two or are you???

    Net neutrality does not give the FCC any authorization to regulate the internet in any way. Net neutrality is synonymous with keeping all regulation, private or public, away from the internet. If there is legislation that needs to be made to enforce this then that's necessary due to the nature of business, it still doesn't give the FCC the ability to actually regulate the internet itself.
    What is being proposed is not lawful in my opinion, and any Net Neutrality regulations should be promulgated from legislation made into law, not given to a relatively unaccountable federal commission that has its own internal courts that are not appealable to any other federal court.

    There's more to this than just saying "Wow, that makes sense. Yeah, Mr. President. Do that."
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: President Tells F.C.C. to Ensure Open Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    The US DOJ can enforce legislation, which is the way it should be done. The FCC does not need to be allowed to create rules and regulations by treating the internet as a utility under laws that already exist, but have absolutely nothing to do with the uniqueness of the internet. The FCC should not be given authority that it does not have. The Congress needs to pass legislation and let the DOJ enforce it and prosecute any ISP that breaks the law.

    And, it isn't an argument, but rather my belief. A closely held belief based on my ~30 years dealing with the federal government in one form or another.
    And you trust the DOJ to do this, yes?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •