Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 233

Thread: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

  1. #31
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by rjay View Post
    The internet has become or is becoming a utility. Like water and electricity, there are fewer and fewer businesses that can function without internet access. Cash registers are often connected in order to monitor inventory and sales. Can you imagine an office environment without internet?
    Reclassifying it will upset some of the Supreme Court rulings from the last 10 years. It will be interesting to hear the pros and cons of the plan. My biggest fear is having a government regulate the internet. It needs to be a hands off place. Any regulation by the government will be a power grab. With power they can control the flow of information. That is possibly the worst outcome.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And that magically makes it more expensive to dig up thousands of miles of dirt to lay cables?

    Unless your less-expensive alternative is "not have an internet."

    You don't have to build new networks, simply allow others to resell what's already there. We, after all, paid to have it all built anyway. Much the same as gas and electricity are being resold in most markets. Soon enough the internet will be fast enough wirelessly that cabling or "new" cabling will not be necessary, at least in the short term.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #33
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Reclassifying it will upset some of the Supreme Court rulings from the last 10 years. It will be interesting to hear the pros and cons of the plan. My biggest fear is having a government regulate the internet. It needs to be a hands off place. Any regulation by the government will be a power grab. With power they can control the flow of information. That is possibly the worst outcome.
    The whole point of net neutrality is to keep ISP businesses from choking off sites that don't pay them extra money. It's not about the govt. regulating; it's about the govt saying "the net is for everyone, hands off ISPs". I would think everyone on all sides of the political spectrum would be in favor of this, but apparently Ted Cruz and people like him are all about big business taking over the internet.

    The internet should be available for use by all providers, not by who the ISPs choose.

    In terms of the govt starting the networks - certainly the internet started in the govt world, as part of ARPANET, and the govt has encouraged its spread. I think we all benefited from that particular govt focus. Imagine the chaos if every ISP in every town set up its own local standards and then tried to connect! I agree it would be nice to have more options, but as stated it's very expensive to lay cable; a company coming into a town needs reassurance that it will have a market before it pays all the money up front to lay cable. That's the advantage to DSL in that it goes over phone lines that already exist. But where I live, it's DSL or Satellite; I don't have a cable option. And Satellite doesn't work because of upload/download limits.

    We need net neutrality. And I personally would like to see the govt push for higher speeds in rural areas; my DSL is 4.5 mgs download, and my phone company can't afford to do much more - they can't lay fiber to the house, for instance. But that's another topic.

    Without net neutrality, we have an internet that is controlled by a handful of big ISPs instead of the wide open marketplace we have now.

  4. #34
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    The whole point of net neutrality is to keep ISP businesses from choking off sites that don't pay them extra money. It's not about the govt. regulating; it's about the govt saying "the net is for everyone, hands off ISPs". I would think everyone on all sides of the political spectrum would be in favor of this, but apparently Ted Cruz and people like him are all about big business taking over the internet.

    The internet should be available for use by all providers, not by who the ISPs choose.

    In terms of the govt starting the networks - certainly the internet started in the govt world, as part of ARPANET, and the govt has encouraged its spread. I think we all benefited from that particular govt focus. Imagine the chaos if every ISP in every town set up its own local standards and then tried to connect! I agree it would be nice to have more options, but as stated it's very expensive to lay cable; a company coming into a town needs reassurance that it will have a market before it pays all the money up front to lay cable. That's the advantage to DSL in that it goes over phone lines that already exist. But where I live, it's DSL or Satellite; I don't have a cable option. And Satellite doesn't work because of upload/download limits.

    We need net neutrality. And I personally would like to see the govt push for higher speeds in rural areas; my DSL is 4.5 mgs download, and my phone company can't afford to do much more - they can't lay fiber to the house, for instance. But that's another topic.

    Without net neutrality, we have an internet that is controlled by a handful of big ISPs instead of the wide open marketplace we have now.
    There is nothing you said I disagree with. My only issue, is that the government will be regulating the net, the same way they do air waves and TV. That is the part I am interested in. What will be the impact of the government having a say in the utility.

    I am with you. Infrastructure upgrades are greatly required throughout the country. Rural areas especially.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  5. #35
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,948
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    There is nothing you said I disagree with. My only issue, is that the government will be regulating the net, the same way they do air waves and TV. That is the part I am interested in. What will be the impact of the government having a say in the utility.

    I am with you. Infrastructure upgrades are greatly required throughout the country. Rural areas especially.
    How much innovation is going on in the public utilities? Doesn't seem like much.
    Lots of innovation continues on the Internet. Turning the Internet into a public utility is going to stifle the innovation?

    The Internet, and innovations built on the Internet, run at the speed of the Internet, quickly and fleet a foot. Public utilities can't, don't and will never. You want to turn the Internet into a public utility with feet of clay?
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  6. #36
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Jesus. Who said anything about an alternative? I'm saying the network is nonsense as it is completely unworkable for anyone but the government to build. If you want competition in an industry it would help to not put in place networks that have a price tag only government can afford.

    Simply put, If the price tag is outside anyone's range in the private sector your network sucks.
    If it was possible to build a network that delivers this much data this fast for a small enough amount of money that anyone could compete, why hasn't that happened?

    Oh wait. It's not. That's why you don't have an alternative. Your alternative, like I just said, was literally "don't have an internet."

    "The internet is nonsense."
    -A guy, posting on the internet.

    Let's hear your ideas for a different network that doesn't have such a large price tag.
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-11-14 at 11:16 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #37
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    How much innovation is going on in the public utilities? Doesn't seem like much.
    Lots of innovation continues on the Internet. Turning the Internet into a public utility is going to stifle the innovation?

    The Internet, and innovations built on the Internet, run at the speed of the Internet, quickly and fleet a foot. Public utilities can't, don't and will never. You want to turn the Internet into a public utility with feet of clay?
    Um, this is a pretty ridiculous notion. Innovation via the internet happens because the internet is a tool to transfer information. There are nearly infinite things you can do with information.

    Water pipes are a tool to transfer water. What sort of innovation do you think water would undergo if that darned government didn't step in and stop it? How many ideas can you think of for water transportation beyond "is clean" and "comes out of the faucet at the rate and temperature I desire?"

    It just staggers me that people are so blindly anti-government that they just assume net neutrality must be a bad thing because the government is talking about doing it. Net neutrality is why the internet has been so innovative. Net neutrality is the reason that little startups like Facebook can rise to supplant MySpace. It's also why a little forum like DebatePolitics can exist without being relegated to the slow lane because they don't have the money to pay off Comcast.
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-11-14 at 11:15 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #38
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    The government wanting to control the medium by which most speech is conducted today. What could possibly go wrong?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Obama want the feds to run and rule the internet like any decent socialist state.

  10. #40
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,958
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Obama Urges F.C.C. to Adopt Strict Rules on Net Neutrality

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    My only issue, is that the government will be regulating the net, the same way they do air waves and TV.
    They won't be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    The government wanting to control the medium by which most speech is conducted today. What could possibly go wrong?
    They won't "control" it in the way that you seem to be implying.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Obama want the feds to run and rule the internet like any decent socialist state.
    lol. That one is is just way out there.
    I may be wrong.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •