Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 216

Thread: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

  1. #101
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Strippin and hookin are safe.
    Not necessarily, Japan can tell you that.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Like I said before, if you've been a postal worker for the past 40 years or so, you wouldn't think it at all necessary to know how to do things like coding and whatnot. Hell, most people who use computers and the internet have no idea how to code or how the internet actually works.
    But it's not a surprise that physical mail is going away, we've known for 20 years or so that e-mail was severely cutting into physical mail and anyone who sat as a postal worker for the past 20 years with their eyes clenched closed and their fingers in their ears and didn't do anything to prepare for the inevitable end of their job deserves what they get. They had a chance, the writing was on the wall and they ignored it. It doesn't have to be web design but there are plenty of jobs out there that people can get ready for if they see what's coming in the future.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    This is one reason I got into medicine. PA and Paramedic wont be on a list like that for some time.

  4. #104
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    If you are lazy when it comes to your education and planning, then you will be picking apples. Yes I have done farm work. Quite a bit of farm work and if the choice was to do it or be unemployed or living off other people, I would still choose farm work.
    A hundred years ago, something like 90% of all human labor was involved in the production of food. These days it's less than 10%. So thanks for using apple picking as an example. The problem is that nearly all industries are moving in the direction of fewer workers.

    Heck, a lot of our products today aren't even manufactured at all. They are "virtual" products that are delivered at low cost or even no cost over the internet. I can't remember the last time I purchased a map. Or got film developed. Or held a home phone. Or used a piece of stationary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #105
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Libertarians generally oppose government intervention into our economy.

    In the future, probably much sooner than what most people think, unless we have more government intervention in our economy, there will not be enough income opportunities for every family to be able to have at least one income earner.

    So basically, by being a libertarian, you are dooming your kids and grandkids to a life of poverty. Unless of course libertarians evolve as our economy does.

    I have a very strong libertarian streak, I absolutely hate government intervention, and I oppose socialism and communism. I don't even agree that we should have means tested welfare, or subsidize anything for any reason. But I realize that due to changes in technology, the world is going to be a terrible place if we don't have appropriate government intervention to change the rules of capitalism so that they will work for most everyone as our economy changes.
    My kids won't be doomed to a life of poverty. They will hopefully go into the right fields and choose professions that won't be obsolete.

    The government can't stop technology from replacing humans. It's been happening for generations.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #106
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Like HELL you say...




    Guess I proved you wrong. 250,000 people paid $400 each to watch some dudes push buttons on a stage last month in Georgia.

    By the way, my kid is in this video.
    I'm assuming it's some sort of tecno dance thing (can't watch it at the moment) there will always be a market for that stuff I suppose, however there is no way you'll ever see a punk rock , Rockabilly or a bluegrass band pushing buttons. People who like real music can tell bull****. There will always be a need and market for the arts. Musicians, painters, actors, poets, authors. People will always crave what is created by humans. How the hell is a computer going to write a book?

  7. #107
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But it's not a surprise that physical mail is going away, we've known for 20 years or so that e-mail was severely cutting into physical mail and anyone who sat as a postal worker for the past 20 years with their eyes clenched closed and their fingers in their ears and didn't do anything to prepare for the inevitable end of their job deserves what they get. They had a chance, the writing was on the wall and they ignored it. It doesn't have to be web design but there are plenty of jobs out there that people can get ready for if they see what's coming in the future.
    It's not only the postal worker who is loosing job security due to email. It's also printing companies, and paper manufacturers, and shipping companies, etc.

    And that web design job? Yea, that's fairly new, but once that website is designed, it costs nothing to reproduce. And there are lots of "automatic" web design platforms and do it yourself web design systems which are replacing web designer jobs. It may be a stable field, but it's far from a rapidly growing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #108
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    I'm assuming it's some sort of tecno dance thing (can't watch it at the moment) there will always be a market for that stuff I suppose, however there is no way you'll ever see a punk rock , Rockabilly or a bluegrass band pushing buttons. People who like real music can tell bull****. There will always be a need and market for the arts. Musicians, painters, actors, poets, authors. People will always crave what is created by humans. How the hell is a computer going to write a book?
    It's actually currently the highest paid genre of music, called EDM, and yes it evolved from tecno. Some of those dudes pushing buttons on stage are making 8 figures. Now how man rockabilly or bluegrass bands make that type of jack? Just shows where the demand is, and it ain't exactly where you seem to believe it is.

    It's kinda funny that the genres that you mention are all pretty much dead. I haven't heard "punk rock" mentioned in probably three decades. You should really get out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It's not only the postal worker who is loosing job security due to email. It's also printing companies, and paper manufacturers, and shipping companies, etc.

    And that web design job? Yea, that's fairly new, but once that website is designed, it costs nothing to reproduce. And there are lots of "automatic" web design platforms and do it yourself web design systems which are replacing web designer jobs. It may be a stable field, but it's far from a rapidly growing field.
    I'm talking about the specific case that was presented, that of a postal employee. Printing companies, paper manufacturers and the like, they've all seen the writing on the wall too. Either adjust to the coming reality or go out of business, that's how business operates.

    And, of course, I said that it didn't have to be web design, there are plenty of jobs in the modern era that people can be trained for.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #110
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: 50% of occupations today will no longer exist in 2025: Report

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It's actually currently the highest paid genre of music, called EDM, and yes it evolved from tecno. Some of those dudes pushing buttons on stage are making 8 figures. Now how man rockabilly or bluegrass bands make that type of jack? Just shows where the demand is, and it ain't exactly where you seem to believe it is.

    It's kinda funny that the genres that you mention are all pretty much dead. I haven't heard "punk rock" mentioned in probably three decades. You should really get out more.
    Well **** if that's the case I'll toss out my Social Distortion and Reverend Horton Heat records. Real music will always be relevant. It's like the difference between some processed velveeta and some really good upper Wisconsin aged cheddar. The processed **** feeds the instant need, the real cheese feeds that real long term desire. And if you think Rockabilly is a "dead genre" then you're the one who needs to get out.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •