Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 657

Thread: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

  1. #581
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It's absolutely part of it. That and obstinate Shia politicians.
    If a business gives up on a failed marketing strategy or new product after almost a decade of trying to make that venture successful, that's just smart business practice (actually, smart would have been giving up in it years earlier), because obviously their objective wasn't manifesting and likely never would. Would you say Blockbuster Video execs have a short attention span because they decided to finally close up shop after years of no success in the new digital video market? Like I've said before, conservatives who pride themselves in business acumen and fiscal responsibility throw all of that out the window when it comes to foreign policy.

  2. #582
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    ...why do you assume I'm a conservative? I always find it odd that political partisans, when someone disagrees with them, assume that the other person is someone of the opposite political side. Very strange.

    I don't think Iraq and Blockbuster are very similar, as far as business models. Do you?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #583
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    They still did not kick the inspectors out in 1998, as you asserted they did.

    And Iraq had nothing to do with the attack on the WTC. Everyone knew that they had nothing to do with the attack of 2011. The attack was simply a convenient excuse to carry out a war that the PNAC had wanted to start for years.
    It's always a good idea to check your facts before other people check the facts for you and leave you looking like you make your own facts up as you go along. Iraq did kick the weapons inspectors out in 1998. Here you go. Iraq Weapons Inspections Fast Facts - CNN.com
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #584
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    It wasn't an excuse, so much as it was the best option in an effort to actually take seriously the reconstruction and reshaping on the Middle East.
    That was it exactly and should have been understood by everyone. Things would be a great deal different with a US base in the center of the ME, and of course other countries should have contributed as well.
    Something that wasn't taken seriously before 9/11, was improperly executed in 2003, and then not taken seriously again after the surge. There could've been major progress made, but the American public doesn't have the stomach for it. More's the pity, but a short attention span is to be expected in this era of tweets and soundbites,
    You nailed it again.

  5. #585
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,565

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeburte View Post
    If a business gives up on a failed marketing strategy or new product after almost a decade of trying to make that venture successful, that's just smart business practice (actually, smart would have been giving up in it years earlier), because obviously their objective wasn't manifesting and likely never would. Would you say Blockbuster Video execs have a short attention span because they decided to finally close up shop after years of no success in the new digital video market?
    to bad you weren't making policy right after WWII. I'm sure your "blockbuster video" theory would have been gangbusters.
    I don't want to give a history lesson but you do realize we STILL have troops in Japan and Germany. They didn't say "hey lets give this a few years to work and then do a TOTAL withdrawal." That would have been a disaster(like you are currently seeing thanks to the decisions of the current administration).

    Maybe you have a Hollywood Video theory to rebut...

  6. #586
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Bin Laden and most of his henchmen were Saudis.
    Al Qaeda was behind the attack on the WTC.
    There was no Al Qaeda Iraq before the invasion.
    Bush warned the weapons inspectors to leave Iraq before the US invaded. Facts. No "quasi religious" scripture required to see why the invasion was a bad idea. Trying to support the war does take some faith, however.
    If you looked at the turmoil as a Middle East problem rather than just an Iraqi problem then you'd get closer to the reality of what was happening. The idea was to have a strong Coalition presence in the ME, in Iraq, along with the "Super Embassy", in order to help control events there. Saddam Hussein supplied the opportunity for coalition troops to enter, and remain. Now there is little control anywhere.

    What good does it do in simply taking out a leader without considering the consequences? That happened recently in Egypt and Libya and we see what happened. We see it in Iraq too, of course, after pulling the troops.

  7. #587
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    to bad you weren't making policy right after WWII. I'm sure your "blockbuster video" theory would have been gangbusters.
    I don't want to give a history lesson but you do realize we STILL have troops in Japan and Germany. They didn't say "hey lets give this a few years to work and then do a TOTAL withdrawal." That would have been a disaster(like you are currently seeing thanks to the decisions of the current administration).

    Maybe you have a Hollywood Video theory to rebut...
    Very very bad example. First off we were attacked by Japan and Germany, we were never attacked by Iraq. Secondly, the implementation of democratic governments in those regions (west Germany and Japan) went very smoothly. In Iraq it started a civil war and actually created NEW and stronger terrorist organizations. Thirdly, we libertarians don't believe the U.S. Should still be in japan and Germany! It's a complete waste of my tax dollars and U.S. Resources! Socialist big spending republicans however want MORE troops over there. If it really makes you feel better having troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, Germany and Japan, that's fine, but you have to pay for it. Don't be a socialist and force me to use my tax dollars for an international welfare cause I don't believe in.
    Last edited by Leeburte; 11-14-14 at 05:21 PM.

  8. #588
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    ...why do you assume I'm a conservative? I always find it odd that political partisans, when someone disagrees with them, assume that the other person is someone of the opposite political side. Very strange.

    I don't think Iraq and Blockbuster are very similar, as far as business models. Do you?
    Iraq and Blockbuster aren't similar but the premise is. It's well know that Japanese business tycoons of the 1980s were using strategies from The Art of War and translating them into business moves. The premise is, if a policy or strategy is consistently failing to meet results, it must be significantly altered or abandoned, or it will do more harm than good for the company/government. The strategy had been altered a few times, with limited results, so it was obviously time to abandon the mission. Not to mention, the American public, nor congress, ever agreed to a 50 year occupation of Iraq because of supposed WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda (which all turned out to be fabrications anyway). It's not fair for the American tax payer to pay several more trillion dollars simply for "Iraqi Freedom". That's the biggest case of welfare fraud in world history.

  9. #589
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeburte View Post
    Iraq and Blockbuster aren't similar but the premise is. It's well know that Japanese business tycoons of the 1980s were using strategies from The Art of War and translating them into business moves. The premise is, if a policy or strategy is consistently failing to meet results, it must be significantly altered or abandoned, or it will do more harm than good for the company/government. The strategy had been altered a few times, with limited results, so it was obviously time to abandon the mission. Not to mention, the American public, nor congress, ever agreed to a 50 year occupation of Iraq because of supposed WMDs and ties to Al Qaeda (which all turned out to be fabrications anyway). It's not fair for the American tax payer to pay several more trillion dollars simply for "Iraqi Freedom". That's the biggest case of welfare fraud in world history.
    Yeah, the idea is in geopolitics, five years really isn't that long. This isn't a mom and pop restaurant.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #590
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Yeah, the idea is in geopolitics, five years really isn't that long. This isn't a mom and pop restaurant.
    It's hard to justify being there much longer than that when the two main reasons for going were found to be completely false. Very few Americans would have supported invading Iraq just clear the world of another dictator, in a country where extremism continually festers anyway. Americans were primarily scared by WMDs and Hussein funding Al Qaeda. When those were found to be complete b.s., even a lot of Republicans wanted to stop paying for it. It had nothing to do with "short attention span"

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •