Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 657

Thread: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Exactly, we ALWAYS fight with one hand tied behind our back. And while we may not be a weak nation, even if we do withdraw-that isn't what matters-what MATTERS is what our enemy thinks-and they think we will cut and run-announcing the pull out date no less.
    If that is your personal conviction, you should put YOUR money towards that cause, I'm not moved by that cause though, so keep your hands out of my pockets to pay for it. I'd rather use my tax dollars here at home, or reinvest them into my business.

  2. #552
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Iraq was not in chaos when Bush left office and Obama took over. That occurred only after Obama pulled the troops.
    So, we should invade, set up a government to our liking, then keep a military presence indefinitely in order to keep the peace?

    I thought the war in Iraq was only supposed to have lasted six months or less?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #553
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, we should invade, set up a government to our liking, then keep a military presence indefinitely in order to keep the peace?

    I thought the war in Iraq was only supposed to have lasted six months or less?
    Those same people who support that are the ones claiming they are small government fiscal conservatives lol! The war in Iraq is a case of big government progressivism at its finest, the conservatives are in this thread BEGGING for more of it.

  4. #554
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeburte View Post
    If that is your personal conviction, you should put YOUR money towards that cause, I'm not moved by that cause though, so keep your hands out of my pockets to pay for it. I'd rather use my tax dollars here at home, or reinvest them into my business.
    I will do that as soon as my money isn't spent on liberal pyramid schemes and entitlements. Hows that sound?

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, we should invade, set up a government to our liking, then keep a military presence indefinitely in order to keep the peace?
    Yes, with the exception of "setting up a government to our liking". That would be up to the Iraqi people.
    I thought the war in Iraq was only supposed to have lasted six months or less?
    That would have been an optimistic guess but, as in many other more 'stable' countries throughout the world, a minimum of 10,000 troops should have remained. That was the advice of the CIA, the Military, and the previous administration.

  6. #556
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, with the exception of "setting up a government to our liking". That would be up to the Iraqi people.
    That would have been an optimistic guess but, as in many other more 'stable' countries throughout the world, a minimum of 10,000 troops should have remained. That was the advice of the CIA, the Military, and the previous administration.
    That was the recommendation of the Project for a New American Century (PNAC), of which Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Cheney were members. They wanted the US to be even more assertive in imposing a Pax Americana on the world through force of arms. Is that really the role of the US, though, as a world cop imposing a new world order? Personally, I just don't see any nation in that role.

    Here is a summary of the goals of the PNAC, in case you're not familiar with that movement. Unfortunately, clicking on the link to their website yields a "site has been suspended" notification. I think they're out of business currently.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #557
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That was the recommendation of the Project for a New American Century (PNAC), of which Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and Cheney were members. They wanted the US to be even more assertive in imposing a Pax Americana on the world through force of arms. Is that really the role of the US, though, as a world cop imposing a new world order? Personally, I just don't see any nation in that role.
    That they were also for leaving a sufficient number of troops behind, apart from those I mentioned, only strengthens the case. Was what we have in Iraq now actually planned by the Obama Administration? I doubt it was deliberate, but there are those who believe it was.

    Here is a summary of the goals of the PNAC, in case you're not familiar with that movement. Unfortunately, clicking on the link to their website yields a "site has been suspended" notification. I think they're out of business currently.
    I am familiar with them, thanks.

  8. #558
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That they were also for leaving a sufficient number of troops behind, apart from those I mentioned, only strengthens the case. Was what we have in Iraq now actually planned by the Obama Administration? I doubt it was deliberate, but there are those who believe it was.

    I am familiar with them, thanks.
    Oh, sure, if the PNAC had their way, we'd have left plenty of troops in Iraq, regardless of any agreements we may have had with the government of that nation. Their idea was to invade and occupy indefinitely, and not just Iraq but any place else they found troublesome.

    So, when the invasion was being discussed, back before the war, why didn't they just come out and say, "We expect to be in Iraq for the foreseeable future"? That was the truth. What we heard was that it would be six months or less.

    The voters of this country were not ready to pour treasure and blood into a quagmire for decades to come, and the PNAC darned well knew it. They went ahead anyway, and with the predictable result. Obama took the fall, as he was the one in charge when things went to Hell.

    At least it appears that the PNAC is also on the dustbin of history.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I will do that as soon as my money isn't spent on liberal pyramid schemes and entitlements. Hows that sound?
    Finally an admission that conservatives are reaching deeply into my pocket to make me pay for someone else's benefit (Iraqi "freedom"). That's big government socialism. I believe in self reliance. If the Iraqis and Syrians don't like their terrorist dictator regimes, we should give them only consultative services, training and maybe LOAN them money and supplies with INTEREST so they can try to free themselves and we can profit off of it. Democrats and Republicans keep giving poor men fish, and once the fish is gone the poor men are still hungry (or in Iraqs case, oppressed). Libertarians believe in teaching poor people to fish, so the problem will be solved and they can become self reliant.

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: CNN: 1,500 more troops to Iraq

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    That isn't an accurate statement. Repubs don't give a damn about fixing third world. We want to make money off of it.
    What a terrible business investment. And your investment is already drowned in trillions of dollars of debt. I thought Republicans were supposed to be business savvy. When do you expect to see returns on that investment.

Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •