Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 551 to 557 of 557

Thread: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

  1. #551
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,212

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Which part is steering?
    You know the .... with young castrated male bovines...

  2. #552
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    All the rest of the dressing except for the central question. I was clear about that.

    Btw, it also matters where they poll. Polls taken in urban environs are going to turn out differently than those taken in rural environs. The result can easily be steered by polling heavily in one or the other. Pollsters know this.
    Yes, pollsters know this, which is why they've gotten pretty good at avoiding exactly that sort of bias.

    And I think the rest is part of the central question. It clarifies exactly what is being asked about: government recognition of marriage from a legal standpoint. Otherwise you leave potential for someone to say what many have said on these very forums "Well if gay people want to get 'married' they can have a ceremony but the government shouldn't endorse their sinful ways."

    Which way does that person answer?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #553
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes, pollsters know this, which is why they've gotten pretty good at avoiding exactly that sort of bias.

    And I think the rest is part of the central question. It clarifies exactly what is being asked about: government recognition of marriage from a legal standpoint. Otherwise you leave potential for someone to say what many have said on these very forums "Well if gay people want to get 'married' they can have a ceremony but the government shouldn't endorse their sinful ways."

    Which way does that person answer?
    Absolute bull**** and you know it. If you really believe that tripe show us. Show just one of these polls you claim supports gay marriage where the demographics of the respondents is broken down to location and those locations are equalized for.

    And no, again, it's clear and blatant steering. The central question I posted was clear, it didn't need any clarification. And that person's answer to the central question is "No".

  4. #554
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Absolute bull**** and you know it. If you really believe that tripe show us. Show just one of these polls you claim supports gay marriage where the demographics of the respondents is broken down to location and those locations are equalized for.
    You are claiming bias, you prove it.

    And no, again, it's clear and blatant steering. The central question I posted was clear, it didn't need any clarification. And that person's answer to the central question is "No".
    So it's impossible for someone to interpret the question how I said? That rhetoric has never come up anywhere?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #555
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    It is. They could have simply asked, "do you think same sex couples should be allowed to marry?" Yes or No. The rest is all superfluous steering.
    Gays can already marry in every state, they go a religious organization and get married. The question therefore specifies legal marriage, totally appropriate.


    >>>>

  6. #556
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    All the rest of the dressing except for the central question. I was clear about that.

    Btw, it also matters where they poll. Polls taken in urban environs are going to turn out differently than those taken in rural environs. The result can easily be steered by polling heavily in one or the other. Pollsters know this.

    Actually: "Results are based on telephone interviews conducted May 8-11, 2014 with a random sample of –1,028—adults, aged 18+, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. For results based on this sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95% confidence level."

    You understand what "random" means right? Equal probability of calling rural v. urban individuals based on their representative sampling in the population. Emphasizing rural individuals over urban individuals would be biased.


    >>>>

  7. #557
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Actually: "Results are based on telephone interviews conducted May 8-11, 2014 with a random sample of –1,028—adults, aged 18+, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. For results based on this sample of national adults, the margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points at the 95% confidence level."

    You understand what "random" means right? Equal probability of calling rural v. urban individuals based on their representative sampling in the population. Emphasizing rural individuals over urban individuals would be biased.


    >>>>

    BTW - 80% of the population lives in an urban environment while 20% live in rural environments. So with true random sampling one would expect 8 out of 10 calls to go to urban individuals.

    https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=5971


    >>>>

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •