Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 557

Thread: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

  1. #491
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Listen, when I ask for some identified benefit, and you say something like this, all I can conclude is that you can't actually name a benefit. "It's good because they want it that way" is not an answer. Like I asked WCH, what happens when 51% of the population decides they don't want to endorse Christianity? These aren't good enough justifications for the government to make this kind of distinction. You? You can decide these things for yourself based on whatever you like. You can decide homosexuality is an abomination because cats have fur. That's good enough for your personal opinion, that's not good enough for government action.
    You don't have to worry about endorsing Christianity. It isn't demanding state endorsement like homosexuals are. Sanction is given, not taken.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #492
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    From the PBS documentary series, "Frontline":
    Which is not the same thing that was put out earlier, that said they were discharged because their illnesses were no longer considered mental illnesses, but rather the people didn't care or didn't have the money to deal with them, just like I said in the beginning. It had to do with a lack of money, not a change in the philosophy of dealing with mental illness.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #493
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The question put before the court was not whether the state must recognize the marriage as a civil marriage, it was whether the state had a right to ban their marriage. The Lovings were sentenced to a year in jail for a marriage that had no legal significance in the state.
    And yet the SCOTUS went far beyond just deciding to overturn the ruling that put the Lovings in jail, including requiring the state of Virginia, and all other states that had bans on interracial marriage at that time, to recognize all interracial marriages. The SCOTUS did not have to make such a broad ruling, except they could since the laws that did not recognize the Lovings as married due to their races, regardless of whether they were treated as criminals or not, violated the US Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #494
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Do Gays really want to tempt fate like that?
    I dare you or anyone else to try it. Because it won't happen anywhere in the near future. Heck, you couldn't even get enough support in Congress about 10 years ago, when most Congressmen actually did support banning same sex couples from marriage and DOMA was still law of the land.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #495
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It is good for society to endorse the behavioral expectations it deems desirable and it is not good for society to be forced to endorse behaviors that it does not wish to endorse. While I think those states that endorse homosexual marriage have lost their minds, it is their right to do that just as it is the right of my state to just say no to the insanity.
    Society in 1967 did not, as a whole, want to endorse interracial marriages throughout the country. This is a fact. The majority (the vast majority) wanted them to remain illegal.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #496
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    In Texas, it was the will of the people [about 71%] who made that distinction. We demanded the government impose that law.

    WE felt it was a better way forward for OUR state.
    Almost 10 years ago, that vote was taken. Now, it would be lucky to pass. In many states, those bans would be gone if it were put to a vote right now.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #497
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Revisionists like yourself did away with the original.

    Remember states rights? the 10th amendment?
    Do you not remember that the 10th also says individual rights? OR is that not convenient for you? The 14th places individual rights over states' rights, as it should, since whats the point of protecting us against a tyranny of the majority in the form of a federal government if we end up having just smaller tyrannies of the majorities in the form of state governments?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #498
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Generally performing their gay acts in public. [back to vile and disgusting]
    Ahh, so if I think heterosexuals kissing in public is disgusting, I can ban heterosexuals from marriage? That's quite the logic of yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Put it up for a vote.
    Thank you for proving my point. You are the poster boy for authoritarianism. There was never any principle here. To you, individual freedom only exists for people to behave as you demand they behave.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #499
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    In Texas, it was the will of the people [about 71%] who made that distinction. We demanded the government impose that law.

    WE felt it was a better way forward for OUR state.

    Yes. Exactly. Nothing except "I want it that way."

    Proving my point yet again. Freedom, to you, only means the freedom to do what WCH says is ok.

    It is absolutely comical that you people keep crowing about individual liberty when you are its worst enemy. The absolute antithesis of individual freedom is "I don't like that, therefore it will be illegal."
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #500
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You don't have to worry about endorsing Christianity. It isn't demanding state endorsement like homosexuals are. Sanction is given, not taken.
    Ahh, I get it.

    The existence of same-sex marriage is "state endorsement"

    The existence of Christianity is not. None of the religious exemptions count, apparently.

    Wonderful. I'm glad you cleared this up.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •