Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 557

Thread: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

  1. #151
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    1.)You are incorrect.
    2.)The court has recognized a right to marriage, not a right to a state-sanctioned marriage.
    3.) It is perfectly legal for states to get out of the marriage business altogether.
    4.) If you believe otherwise, perhaps you can provide FACTS that support this instead of more STATEMENTS that do not.

    5.)And yes, you claimed that states don't get to determine equal rights. This is false. They can't write laws that conflict with the Federal law, but they do determine those rights within their borders.
    1.) no i am 100% correct lol
    2.) good thing i didnt say that, thats what you added on and has nothing to do with my statement, thanks, like i said my statement was right. Marriage is a right
    3.) another thing i never said but marriage isnt a business its a contract
    4.) since i never made any of the statements you made up its not need, MY actual statement is still 100% true,. Marriage is a right.

    let me know when you want to discuss something i actually siad instead of making stuff up

    5.) nope again you are wrong i didnt claim anything i pointed out the fact that its beyond thier power to do so and its 100% right. They don't determine equal rights has in the 14th if the violate it that sun constitutional. Yes they can make laws inside thier board as long as those don't violate the constitution. You didnt even say anything contrary to what i said LMAO.

    again please stick to what was actually said and to avoid further confusion on your part instead of assuming or making stuff up, simply ask. Youll have better success.

    Fact remains, marriage is a right
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #152
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) no i am 100% correct lol
    2.) good thing i didnt say that, thats what you added on and has nothing to do with my statement, thanks, like i said my statement was right. Marriage is a right
    3.) another thing i never said but marriage isnt a business its a contract
    4.) since i never made any of the statements you made up its not need, MY actual statement is still 100% true,. Marriage is a right.

    let me know when you want to discuss something i actually siad instead of making stuff up

    5.) nope again you are wrong i didnt claim anything i pointed out the fact that its beyond thier power to do so and its 100% right. They don't determine equal rights has in the 14th if the violate it that sun constitutional. Yes they can make laws inside thier board as long as those don't violate the constitution. You didnt even say anything contrary to what i said LMAO.

    again please stick to what was actually said and to avoid further confusion on your part instead of assuming or making stuff up, simply ask. Youll have better success.

    Fact remains, marriage is a right
    I could go back and spoonfeed your quotes back to you, but won't bother wasting my time with a poster who makes argument-less "statements" that he can't back up and who refuses to engage in any sort of intelligent discussion. The fact that you can't support any of your claims speaks for itself.

    Why try playing chess with someone who only wants to play tiddley-winks?

  3. #153
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    1.)I could go back and spoonfeed your quotes back to you
    2.) but won't bother wasting my time with a poster who makes argument-less "statements" that he can't back up and who refuses to engage in any sort of intelligent discussion.
    3.) The fact that you can't support any of your claims speaks for itself.

    4.) Why try playing chess with someone who only wants to play tiddley-winks?
    1.) PLEASE do so you will further fail because your made up statements still wont be there
    2.) deflecting and posting lies wont help your failed statements. my statement still stands 100%
    Marriage is a right and that statement can be backed up 100%
    3.) sorry nobody educated, honest and objective buys this lie because my statement is supported, remind us what you have on your side besides "nu-huh"
    ill stick to facts, and court cases over your foot stomping

    SCOTUS ruled that way 14 times and many lower courts including ones recently on this very subject called marriage a right
    Video: 14 Supreme Court Rulings on Marriage | American Foundation for Equal Rights

    list of rulings for equal rights which some repeat this
    Same-sex marriage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    fact remains marriage is a right and you have posted ZERO to change that fact


    4.) I agree this is why its a good move for you to stick to tiddlywinks and i accept your concession.
    your post fails and facts win again

    if you disagree simply bring facts to the table that prove the SCOUTS wrong and explain why we should listen to you over them.
    I bet you dodge this because you know your post was factually wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #154
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    If they don't get to decide, then who does? A judge, two maybe three of them? Aren't "they" people too?


    Tim-
    When the judges strike down laws as unconstitutional, they are upholding the will of the people, that which is deemed most important to us found in the US Constitution, ensuring that everyone's rights are upheld, not just the majority's will.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #155
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    Were not these same men in black robes OK with slavery at one point in time??? You don't need to answer that.
    As was the will of the majority at that time. Judges are people who can get things wrong. That doesn't mean that they don't serve the role of deciding on what is constitutional or not, and should do so without considering whether it is the "will of the people", since that has anything to do with whether something is or should be constitutional or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #156
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    AWESOME!!!!

    a circuit break!
    which was thought to happen to make SCOTUS take it up after they passed on it

    this means that there is a very high probability that SCOTUS will hear it now and there ruling will become national with one case!

    While I figured it would take probably till 2016 and all 12 would just eventually rule leaving SCOTUS out of it now they are thrown into the game.

    My guess now is they rule in 2015 in line with the other 24 decisions and almost 50 judges that its unconstitutional and that will be that.

    I also like this path better because we'll never have to hear the crybabies say "SCOTUS never ruled on it"

    Equality is coming!
    I had previously called June 2015. (end of the current SCOTUS session) It looked like I might be wrong after SCOTUS rejected cert before.

    Now it looks like my schedule could be back on track. Depends on whether they go for an en banc hearing and if that drags out, it could force things to 2016.

    I have to wonder about something pointed out in the dissent for this decision: the ruling seems so poorly thought out and supported that it almost seems like these judges wanted to create a circuit split so SCOTUS would be forced to take the case.

    And that leads me to wonder whether or not this is the cover SCOTUS wanted in the first place. "Oh, well, looks like we HAVE to take the case now. Well, we tried to keep our hands off, but now we have to decide!"
    Last edited by Deuce; 11-07-14 at 10:42 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #157
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I am not a good person to argue the ED stuff with-I don't have much use for those laws on a federal level since I don't believe that the federal authority was legitimately delegated to the government but your point has some merit.

    I don't oppose gay marriage as I have noted. but its almost impossible to "fake" being black or Hispanic or pregnant
    But same sex marriage bans are not banning marriage based on being homosexual, but rather on being a certain sex trying to marry someone who is of that same sex, which is sex discrimination. You can fake being gay, but so can you fake being attracted to people of a different race, yet we still got the Loving decision.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #158
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the action is gay marriage. merely being gay is not the trigger to these laws
    Then it easily compares to the Loving case, since the action was interracial marriage. The Lovings chose to be with each other, even if neither chose their race. They could have chosen to be with other people of their own race, but they didn't want to because they were attracted to each other. Just as same sex couples could choose to be with other people of the opposite sex, but the don't want to (and shouldn't have to) because they are attracted to each other. Those people in same sex relationships did not chose their sexes, their genders, anymore than the Lovings chose to be different races, despite their attractions. In both cases, these should be personal choices that other people cannot limit unless those other people can show that such limitations are necessary to further an (important in my opinion) but at least legitimate state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #159
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Not to mention there were light skinned black people who "passed" as white in the past in order to get around all kinds of segregationist laws.
    Most of these celebrities could easily avoid segregationist laws, yet all would be covered under the majority, if not all of them, since they were based on how much "nonwhite/black blood" a person had, not their actual looks (the laws themselves), but enforced by looks and knowledge (if you lived in a small community and they knew about your parentage, then the laws would be enforced against you).

    http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/08/...g-for-white/5/
    Last edited by roguenuke; 11-07-14 at 11:15 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #160
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You are incorrect. The court has recognized a right to marriage, not a right to a state-sanctioned marriage. It is perfectly legal for states to get out of the marriage business altogether. If you believe otherwise, perhaps you can provide FACTS that support this instead of more STATEMENTS that do not.

    And yes, you claimed that states don't get to determine equal rights. This is false. They can't write laws that conflict with the Federal law, but they do determine those rights within their borders.
    The SCOTUS has recognized a right to a state recognized marriage, many times. Plus, there is the right to equal protection under the law, which covers those things that may not in themselves be rights, such as getting a driver's license is not a right, yet laws regarding them must treat people equally.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •