Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 557

Thread: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

  1. #111
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You really think the man is intellectually incapable of discerning any significant difference between polygamy and same sex marriage? Somehow it seems like a stretch to me. Harvard would take back his degree.
    Refer back to what i said about compartmentalized insanity (aka religion)

    There's a line from this ruling on marriage between man/woman has been the norm since Genesis was written. He's not the first zealot dumbass on a power trip to graduate from Harvard i can assure you (see: GW Bush)

  2. #112
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    I'm just wondering when AGENTJ will come in here and concede that this "law" is now fact.. Of course it's an opinion like all the other laws in the land, but it will give me a smile in any event watching how he tries to reacquaint himself with a shred of consistency.


    Tim-
    I am kind of lost. Same-sex marriage was banned in those states prior to the ruling and it still is after the fact.

  3. #113
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Refer back to what i said about compartmentalized insanity (aka religion)

    There's a line from this ruling on marriage between man/woman has been the norm since Genesis was written. He's not the first zealot dumbass on a power trip to graduate from Harvard i can assure you (see: GW Bush)
    If he was such a religious zealot why would he concede that same-sex couples can make excellent parents?

  4. #114
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo allstar View Post
    Democrat segregationist I believe.


    Before they switched over and became GOP segregationists after the 1964 Civil Rights Act became law.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 11-07-14 at 01:26 AM.

  5. #115
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Which is why the fact they punted on the other appeals completely reveals how they'll rule on this one. That the 6th in this instance ruled so clearly in defiance of this suggests they have little regard for SCOTUS, or the constitution for that matter. I'm going out on a limb that 25 is well above average
    I disagree with your take on this. "little regard for the SCOTUS" is hyperbolic and the same with the constitution. LIke it or not gay marriage or even being gay is not quite the black and white issue some would say it is when it comes to inalienable rights. What you are arguing for is a "right to marry someone you find attractive". gay men can marry women the same as straight men can



  6. #116
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If he was such a religious zealot why would he concede that same-sex couples can make excellent parents?
    Same reason he knew better than to insert "queers" in every other line. Even most zealots these days have learned how to 'mask' their hate.

    I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt as you're doing. Guess what, Scalia went to Harvard too. Is he too not a bigot despite his myriad anti gay rulings and references to "culture wars" and "americans don't want homosexuals as neighbors"? The reason they equate polygamy and SSM is they are *bigots*, in spite of their education. They have something in common with the local redneck bar.

  7. #117
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    AWESOME!!!!

    a circuit break!
    which was thought to happen to make SCOTUS take it up after they passed on it

    this means that there is a very high probability that SCOTUS will hear it now and there ruling will become national with one case!

    While I figured it would take probably till 2016 and all 12 would just eventually rule leaving SCOTUS out of it now they are thrown into the game.

    My guess now is they rule in 2015 in line with the other 24 decisions and almost 50 judges that its unconstitutional and that will be that.

    I also like this path better because we'll never have to hear the crybabies say "SCOTUS never ruled on it"

    Equality is coming!
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #118
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I disagree with your take on this. "little regard for the SCOTUS" is hyperbolic and the same with the constitution. LIke it or not gay marriage or even being gay is not quite the black and white issue some would say it is when it comes to inalienable rights. What you are arguing for is a "right to marry someone you find attractive". gay men can marry women the same as straight men can
    That is why the dissent chastised the majority for treating the plantiffs as abstractions. It has more to do than "attraction". These are people with kids. There are real consequences to their families by not having these rights. They are being punished because they are not in a traditional family structure and then belittled and told that their family would be worthy of marriage if they had chosen a partner of the right sex.

  9. #119
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That is why the dissent chastised the majority for treating the plantiffs as abstractions. It has more to do than "attraction". These are people with kids. There are real consequences to their families by not having these rights. They are being punished because they are not in a traditional family structure and then belittled and told that their family would be worthy of marriage if they had chosen a partner of the right sex.
    I was under the impression that where SSM recognition is most "needed" is not for raising children but when something happens to one of the partners and that relationship is traumatically ended-such as the case where District Judge Tim Black (one of the very best in Ohio) ruled that a SS Couple that had one partner dying of ALS was deemed to be "married" to his partner so the trust of guy who was not dying would be met in that the family grave site was restricted to "spouses" of members of the family

    or when one gay partner is declared "brain dead" and the partner wants to make the call to pull the plug or donate the organs to those who need them

    rather than not having the family structure "belittled"



  10. #120
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Appeals court upholds laws against gay marriage in Michigan, 3 other states

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I disagree with your take on this. "little regard for the SCOTUS" is hyperbolic and the same with the constitution. LIke it or not gay marriage or even being gay is not quite the black and white issue some would say it is when it comes to inalienable rights. What you are arguing for is a "right to marry someone you find attractive". gay men can marry women the same as straight men can
    Take a look at the protected classes under employment discrimination. Many of them are far more questionable in terms of life choices (putting oneself into said class): race, color, religion, sex, national origin, pregnancy, citizenship, familial status, disability, veteran, genetics

    What is the basis for a hetero marriage right, if not someone they find attractive? Raising kids? Gays can do that too and many married hetero couples do not. But being gay is pretty clearly an established identity by this point, as affirmed in various anti discrimination laws, numerous studies, and common sense. If it wasn't a real identity, there wouldn't be this uproar about 'gay agenda' to begin with. If it's an identity, then yeah, inalienable rights come with it.

    Now i take equal protection to mean precisely what it says. You can't rule that interracial marriage bans violate equal protection but gender marriage bans do not. You can't decide infertile couples can marry but gay couples cannot.

Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •