Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122

Thread: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    First year she can legally vote and she wins a seat in the West Virginia House of Delegates. Wow!

    Not particularly a fan, especially when it comes to her social issues, but I wish her the best of luck. We could use more young people in office!

    College student is now youngest elected politician in US | MSNBC

  2. #2
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    First year she can legally vote and she wins a seat in the West Virginia House of Delegates. Wow!

    Not particularly a fan, especially when it comes to her social issues, but I wish her the best of luck. We could use more young people in office!

    College student is now youngest elected politician in US | MSNBC
    pro gun is good. the opposition to same sex marriage is silly. No one is hurt in the least by state law recognizing gay marriage



  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    I might not support everything she does but I think it's good to break away from the norm of having middle ages-elderly individuals all having law degrees as career politicians occupying most of our elected offices (no offense to anyone that matches that description )
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #4
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    pro gun is good. the opposition to same sex marriage is silly. No one is hurt in the least by state law recognizing gay marriage
    Well, there is the question of keeping a religious term (if it is such) in law.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,741

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    pro gun is good. the opposition to same sex marriage is silly. No one is hurt in the least by state law recognizing gay marriage
    doesn't matter she is allowed to express her views and her opinion on subject matters. that is what this country is about. this you have to conform mentality is well sickening.
    if the people where she lives doesn't like then they don't vote for her.

    however this goes 100% against the GOPs war on women meme. more so from the state of WV.
    democrats usually outnumber republicans 2:1 and when it comes to representatives they usually swing democrat.

    I was surprised when caprio won the senate bid. I was more surprised when Rockefeller left office.

    WV could be considered a swing state even though it only carries 5 EC's it still goes either way depending on who is running.

  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    doesn't matter she is allowed to express her views and her opinion on subject matters. that is what this country is about. this you have to conform mentality is well sickening.
    if the people where she lives doesn't like then they don't vote for her.

    however this goes 100% against the GOPs war on women meme. more so from the state of WV.
    democrats usually outnumber republicans 2:1 and when it comes to representatives they usually swing democrat.

    I was surprised when caprio won the senate bid. I was more surprised when Rockefeller left office.

    WV could be considered a swing state even though it only carries 5 EC's it still goes either way depending on who is running.
    I would always vote for a pro gun anti gay marriage politician over a supposed supporter of "choice" who wants to ban guns



  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    I like her.

  8. #8
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    She is off to great start in the world of politics!

  9. #9
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    I could never vote for an 18 year old to represent me. She has no life experience, and her opinions will undoubtedly change as she matures. She is also in college, so she has to balance being a college Freshman with learning the ropes of the House of Delegates.

    She doesn't know what it's like to buy a house, pay bills, try raising a family in the current economy, etc.



    I read her campaign page, and I was unimpressed.

    West Virginia has a part-time legislature and most legislators have full-time jobs. If elected, I will attend WVU during the Fall Semester, defer the Spring Semester and attend summer classes. I already know the ropes and I can multitask too.

    Trust me with your vote and I will make you proud!



    That reminds me of my nieces begging for a puppy, saying they clean up and completely take care of it. It's easy to say, but it's hard to do. She is starting college and major role in her community at the same time. I would have been hesitate to vote for her.

    Then she sites her work experience:

    Student Teller for Eastern Panhandle Federal Credit Union
    Apple Crest Orchard
    Sunset Water Services


    http://www.blairforwv.com/about_saira


    I just don't understand why the people in her district voted for her...

  10. #10
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Saira Blair Becomes Youngest Elected Politician in US

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I might not support everything she does but I think it's good to break away from the norm of having middle ages-elderly individuals all having law degrees as career politicians occupying most of our elected offices (no offense to anyone that matches that description )
    Start when you are in your mid-to-late 20s, with the education and with some experience. I'm not going to say I hope she tanks, but I'm awaiting the representative to wish she had an internship at the very least.

    I'm not much for youth politics. I find that to be something a Democrat would do.

    I want a few gray hairs, receding hairlines, and retirement plans in the back of their head.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •