Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 235

Thread: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

  1. #221
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Since it was founded. Cities, states and the federal govt have always had some control over what can and cant be done on private property especially in cases where the effects can spill over to others. Not to mention unless you are doing the fracking on your own property it is a commercial venture and that definitely falls in the realm of govt authority
    That authority is under the jurisdiction of the state, in Texas. No town, nor county has the authority to ban fracing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That authority is under the jurisdiction of the state, in Texas. No town, nor county has the authority to ban fracing.
    The town most certainly does have the authority. Anything not prohibited by the US or state constitution the city has the right to deny or allow.

  3. #223
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    The town most certainly does have the authority. Anything not prohibited by the US or state constitution the city has the right to deny or allow.
    Not in this case, since the ban can effect drilling leases that at outside the city limits. Oil & gas formations don't stop and start at the city limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,771

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Amazing how you got that from my post.
    So you do or don't believe in "states rights"? Which is it?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #225
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not in this case, since the ban can effect drilling leases that at outside the city limits. Oil & gas formations don't stop and start at the city limits.
    How can the ban effect leases outside of city limits? The ban is about the wells built within city limits not a ban on fracking the formations

  6. #226
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    How can the ban effect leases outside of city limits? The ban is about the wells built within city limits not a ban on fracking the formations
    Because the formations don't stop at the city limits sign, as I pointed out. Oil and gas leases require X amount of acres, per well. The city doesn't have the authority to cancel, or void leases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because the formations don't stop at the city limits sign, as I pointed out. Oil and gas leases require X amount of acres, per well. The city doesn't have the authority to cancel, or void leases.
    And as i pointed out the ban is only on wells built within city limits no matter where the lease is. The city isnt canceling or voiding any leases that will be up the the owner and the company to figure out.

  8. #228
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    At various times over the last six years, the current crop of GOPs has supported County and Municipal rights over State's rights, as well as Federal rights, but only depending on the issue.

    In the last few years, we've also seen these same GOPs support certain Federal laws over State laws, such as with pot--again the issue. Yet remarkably, former GOP anti-pot crusaders are now becoming wealthy off the pot business.

    As for fracking, we've seen fracking robber baron Rex Tillerson prevent fracking, even a water tower, in his own backyard--the well-known NIMBY effect .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #229
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    And as i pointed out the ban is only on wells built within city limits no matter where the lease is. The city isnt canceling or voiding any leases that will be up the the owner and the company to figure out.
    The city doesn't have the authority, and certainly not via referendum, to ban drilling and fracing on private property. Drilling permits are issued by the state, not the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #230
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas Town Votes To Bar Fracking in City Limits

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    So, while I've been contemplating the hard losses for the Democratic Party in this years election, I came upon the winning of an issue that I'm personally involved in.


    I spoke out at a city council meeting a year and a half ago when Atmos Gas Corp wanted to erect a 285 foot tower that they claimed was only for radio communications. Coincidentally, that is the same height as a fracking drill tower. They even said that it would not have guide wires. That led me to believe that it was going to be planted quite deep into the ground. My house would have been within 500 feet of the tower.



    You lose some and you win some.


    I don't have any polls to point to, but my guess it that any Texans who are opposed to oil and gas operations are a minority of the population.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •