Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 552

Thread: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,341

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Cutting taxes increased revenue as has been proven so please tell me why tax cuts that increase revenue aren't being paid for with that increase in revenue? Please show me the math that proves your claim that tax cuts contributed a major part of the debt generated?

    What is a signature Democrat move is convincing good people that keeping more of what you earn is an expense to the govt. and has to be paid for. Keep eating that up, liberals love you
    Show me the proof that cutting taxes makes more revenue than not cutting taxes. You can't because it is impossible. Revenue going up after cutting taxes proves nothing.

    Here's what happened to Gov. Brownback when he made his "signature" tax cuts....


    Tax Cuts Don’t Pay For Themselves The Dish

  2. #152
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Show me the proof that cutting taxes makes more revenue than not cutting taxes. You can't because it is impossible. Revenue going up after cutting taxes proves nothing.

    Here's what happened to Gov. Brownback when he made his "signature" tax cuts....


    Tax Cuts Don’t Pay For Themselves The Dish
    I have given you the numbers for the Reagan and Bush income tax cuts and you ignored them. I couldn't care less what happened in your state nor your opinion on what tax cuts do. You apparently don't want to keep more of what you earn therefore send it back. I know Democrats would love it.

    I will never understand people like you who have no problem with the govt wasting your tax dollars and defend them for taking more of your income. That makes no sense to logical people

  3. #153
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why should I listen to any politician? Name for me the site that measure saved jobs? Thanks in advance. By the way what was the California unemployment rate with those saved jobs??

    You willingly buy what you are told when that person tells you what you want to hear. I buy the data and there is no such site that measure saved jobs.
    you can source the Congressional Budget Office as cited here at Factcheck.org...

    The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office released a report in August that said the stimulus bill has "[l]owered the unemployment rate by between 0.7 percentage points and 1.8 percentage points" and "[i]ncreased the number of people employed by between 1.4 million and 3.3 million."

    linkypoo...

    Now explain how you don't like that data. I'm sure you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #154
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Lower spending that could have happened all along, but NOOOOOOOOO can't have that. Reid wouldn't allow it.
    I agree that we should have had lower spending long ago - like when Bush and Reagan were POTUS. If it didn't happen with republican presidents, I can't imagine why anyone would expect it to happen with a Dem.

    The truth is that spending only seems to matter to republicans when we have a dem POTUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #155
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    total national debt exceeds GDP.

    To me, that seems like a random milestone that means nothing.

    Can you explain the significance of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #156
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    LOl Bushs great recession. How did Bush cause that global recession again?
    Global recession? "When America sneezes, the entire world catches a cold"

    Bush was asleep at the wheel. It's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #157
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,567

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ...

    Dem's had control 89 to 1994.
    Reps had control 95 to 2000
    Split controll from 01 to 2002
    Reps had control from 03 to 2006
    Dems had control from 07 to 2010
    Split control from 11 to the present
    ...
    What I want to know is during those years that we had a Republican POTUS and republicans controlled both houses of congress, why didn't they pursue serious border control and build a fence? Why didn't they eliminate welfare? Why didn't they fix SS? Why did they spend MORE money instead of less? Why did they grow the size of government? Why did they run huge budget deficits?

    I'm just asken.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #158
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The 1990's
    That was all Clinton's doing as evidenced by the fact that same Republican Congress had us back into deficit territory as soon as he got of office. The last fiscally conservative Republican was Eisenhower. The Republican Party is the party that bitches about deficits when Democrats are in power.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #159
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    I might add that we have the Republican fiscal "experiment" running here in Kansas with Brownback and his statehouse cronies. It has been an absolute unmitigated disaster for the state.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #160
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: U.S. Deficit Decline to 2.8% of GDP Is Unprecedented Turn

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Obama has been good on the deficit...
    I understand you feel that way. Narrowly taking the context you've tried to present the debate in, where it should only be viewed in the context of how it looks now compared to how it looked in 2009, I'd agree. However, I don't personally think that's a good way to judge it and personally I feel he's been mildly poor when it comes to the deficit.

    but if we are going to measure a presidency by the end results and not specific policies (as the Republican talk machine often does) then we have to say Obama is in fact doing well.
    First, part of your issue is that you simply decide to make giant claims, wave your hand that they should be accepted as the truth, and then arguing against them (such as your "republican talk machine" thing). Not to mention you're basically taking what you think is the Republican argument and presenting it in the most skewed and caricatured way as possible based on your own world view of said stance.

    Second, I'm going to measure the presidency based on how I feel it's reasonable to be measured, not how any particular party does...or how you say they do...measure it.

    Third, if you're going to stereotype republicans and take their stereotyped argument, then you should also take their stereotyped starting point which is NOT 2009. What you're doing is trying to take their argument, apply your subjective criteria, and then dishonestly attempt to present your criteria with their argument as their argument and demand that they accept it as well.

    For me personally, still being above the floor of the fiscal crisis level deficits 6 years into his administration, including multiple years over $1 trillion, combined with an estimated increase to next years deficit of nearly $100 billion and a seeming intent to maintain an over $400 Billion deficit number going forward, is not an indicative of a "good" stance on the deficit to me. Is it better than the horrendous situation at the very start of his presidency? Yes. Is the past few years better than his first few years? Yes. However an average deficit over his tenure just under $1 trillion dollars and WELL off the average during the Bush and Clinton administrations is not a "good" sign for me.

    I understand that my subjective context as to what I'm judging him and his presidency against is different than yours, and that's fine. The difference is I will clearly and unapologetically note that my stance is simply my opinion, the facts I use are based on subjective choices of what I find important, and that I can understand someone having a differing opinion regarding his record than mine.

    My assertion about the President alone getting credit is based on the overall idea that the president is where the buck stops.
    And that's fine as your opinion, it's not fact nor the singular way to look at things.

Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •