Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1042

Thread: The Mid-Terms Results Thread [W:517]

  1. #591
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    Nobody ever thinks they've been swayed by a political ad, but there's definitive proof that they work, so your argument doesn't really hold water. The problem with trusting billionaires is that most of them spend their life trying to get richer. Their interests don't lie in making the country a better place for the average American. Their interests lie in shifting public policy to benefit themselves, regardless of how many average americans are harmed in the process.

    I don't have a problem with the existence of lobbyists, it's the fact that the big three I mentioned - special interests, bureaucrats and billionaires - have our politicians on leashes. Either you aren't paying attention and thus do not accept this to be true, or you prefer we have a system where our representatives have no incentive to do the right thing.
    The truth of the matter was that the Republicans could run the best political ads in the world, but if we were growing at an average rate of 3% per year and Obama didn't and approval rate in the law 40's, we wouldn't be talking about a Republican wave election. I mean, in my home state, the reason Grimes lost has nothing to do with the millions that came in. The election changed when she didn't have an answer for if she voted for Obama. All the money does do, it nationalize elections that might otherwise be local. But in today's age, you can't escape the larger narratives at play.

    Back to the billionaire thing, keep in mind that I wasn't referring to hedge brokers like Warren Buffet. The reason most people become billionaires is they come up with some awesome new idea that ends up creating lots of jobs, bringing in lots of new revenue, and generally making people's lives batter. You see, more billionaires don't get rich because their first thought is "to make more money", sure that's what they like, but let's face it, if that's all it took, well I doubt you and I would be having this discussion right now. The truth of the matter is that all people are trying to do one thing: find a need and fill it. Once you do that, the money will roll in, as well as prosperity for us all. Even with the hedge brokers like Warren Buffet, you're still talking about people with deep pockets that can invest in new ideas and industries much more efficiently than the federal government can, simply because they can react quicker and be more adaptable. In other words, they can fill those needs, before the government can even think of them

    As far as their influence in politics, again the reason they have this much money is generally speaking they've made a lot of smart decisions. I mean if it was easy to be a billionaire, You have some exceptions of course like with everything, but overall, these are business leaders who know their stuff. Lastly on this point, the money raised on both sides is pretty even without favoring one party or the other. Hell if the Right has the Kochs, the Left has Soros and Buffet... that evens things out a lot wouldn't you say?

    My solution to all of this is term limits. In my experience, the only politician with a spine is one that isn't running for re-election. And it has the side effect of also solving your special interest thing because well, no money to be gained eh?

  2. #592
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,214
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    Sorry, I despise Ted Cruz. He is a radical, a troublemaker and a publicity whore.
    I just think he's a whore. So your position is even more nuanced than mine.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  3. #593
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    He downplayed the idea that he might vote against him without committing. People are looking for a good storyline.


    He will lead the far right tea party conservatives against the moderates in the senate.

  4. #594
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    Sorry, I despise Ted Cruz. He is a radical, a troublemaker and a publicity whore.
    In other words, the republican Elizabeth Warren.

  5. #595
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,214
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Mia Love wins in Utah! Hot Dog.
    That was the worst election to watch. She was down 7-5 pts the ENTIRE race up until the last two updates where she pulled 900 votes and then 3K votes ahead.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  6. #596
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Best thing about this night is that it was decided early, allowing me to go to bed... night all.

  7. #597
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    He will lead the far right tea party conservatives against the moderates in the senate.
    it's not impossible. He's smart, however. We'll see how strategic a thinker he is, and the extent to which he can balance prepping for 2016.

  8. #598
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I understand the need to separate and not be lock-step. However, he shouldn't go too far against the grain, otherwise they can tank their chances in two years. This insurgency crap is self-defeating.


    He makes Rand Paul look good, even to me! Maybe that is what he is supposed to be doing! Will Rand Paul even run if he can't hold on to his senate seat?

  9. #599
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,013

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    In other words, the republican Elizabeth Warren.
    I was thinking a saner Cynthia McKinney (which isn't saying much).
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-05-14 at 02:47 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #600
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,214
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Mid-Terms Results Thread

    I can't stay up any longer, but DeMaio is leading Peters. If that holds til morning, we've got a new black female Republican and new gay Republican elected.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •