Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 111

Thread: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

  1. #61
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    ...and there was a reason the local government officials concocted the story about their helicopter having been shot at....

  2. #62
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,300

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    ...and there was a reason the local government officials concocted the story about their helicopter having been shot at....
    Sigh. Yep it is a conspiracy alright.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #63
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Sigh. Yep it is a conspiracy alright.
    It WAS a conspiracy, though that word might be too strong for this particular case.

    More like "just a plan" to keep the news helicopters out. In the end, of course, the news cameras were still present, just no aerial perspective. Seems silly to me, especially in retrospect.

  4. #64
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,300

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    It WAS a conspiracy, though that word might be too strong for this particular case.

    More like "just a plan" to keep the news helicopters out. In the end, of course, the news cameras were still present, just no aerial perspective. Seems silly to me, especially in retrospect.
    Keeping out dangerous air traffic? That seems silly? Did you not see the posts earlier?

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._and_incidents

    Besides. The media got coverage.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  5. #65
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Keeping out dangerous air traffic? That seems silly? Did you not see the posts earlier?

    List of news aircraft accidents and incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Besides. The media got coverage.
    No, the whole thing seems silly to me, and the locals' request for TFR sillier still, and an insight into their insecurity about what happened with Brown.

    Personally, considering the way he was throwing his weight around in the convenience store, karma was headed his way. He had it coming. Not a death sentence, but some sort of punishment for his theft and threats.

    But the TFR request was silly. The cameras were there anyway, who cares if there are also overhead cameras? Obviously the cops cared, but their reasons were selfish. There was no public safety to be gained by the TFR, only government control. It seems highly likely that nobody shot at their helicopter.

    What dangerous air traffic are you alluding to?

  6. #66
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,300

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    No, the whole thing seems silly to me, and the locals' request for TFR sillier still, and an insight into their insecurity about what happened with Brown.

    Personally, considering the way he was throwing his weight around in the convenience store, karma was headed his way. He had it coming. Not a death sentence, but some sort of punishment for his theft and threats.

    But the TFR request was silly. The cameras were there anyway, who cares if there are also overhead cameras? Obviously the cops cared, but their reasons were selfish. There was no public safety to be gained by the TFR, only government control. It seems highly likely that nobody shot at their helicopter.

    What dangerous air traffic are you alluding to?
    News helicopters are under the same FAA regulations and can change altitude and course without warning. Same for police. Not safe when they are sharing the same airspace.

    Just think of it this way: who would you rather have the airspace? The news? Or the people trying to handle the riot?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #67
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    What evidence do you have to support your claim?

    Restricting airspace because the helicopters are dangerously flown? Or the evidence regarding the death of brown? You know. The evidence that shows he was absolutely not some "sweet African American child destined for doctoral fame" and was instead involved in strong arm robbery and tried to grab the gun of the cop?
    Nevermind grab the gun from the cop he was punching him through the freaking window!

    I see absolutely positively nothing wrong with what action the cop took against the criminal.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  8. #68
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    News helicopters are under the same FAA regulations and can change altitude and course without warning. Same for police. Not safe when they are sharing the same airspace.

    Just think of it this way: who would you rather have the airspace? The news? Or the people trying to handle the riot?
    It is true that there is at least one instance of a midair between news helicopters covering a scene. But there are many hundreds, perhaps thousands of examples of multiple news helicopters covering the same scene without any midair. That is achieved by way of good communications between the ships, pilots keeping their eyeballs outside the ship, and simple and practical rules to avoid such a thing.

    TFR solves nothing, and in case you don't know, the existence of a TFR does not mean that ATC is controlling traffic within the TFR.

    So, I'm not sure what your point is here. It seems obvious that the locals wanted a TFR for just one reason, political, and were willing to prevaricate or exaggerate to the feds to achieve that goal.

  9. #69
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,300

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    It is true that there is at least one instance of a midair between news helicopters covering a scene. But there are many hundreds, perhaps thousands of examples of multiple news helicopters covering the same scene without any midair. That is achieved by way of good communications between the ships, pilots keeping their eyeballs outside the ship, and simple and practical rules to avoid such a thing.

    TFR solves nothing, and in case you don't know, the existence of a TFR does not mean that ATC is controlling traffic within the TFR.

    So, I'm not sure what your point is here. It seems obvious that the locals wanted a TFR for just one reason, political, and were willing to prevaricate or exaggerate to the feds to achieve that goal.
    There has been more than 1. Just google news collisions.

    Look. I'm quite frankly sick of the jackal mentality of the news. They don't even report facts anymore. They just say whatever they want and retract it later. They still had coverage on the ground...so why not just use the ground and not the helicopters?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #70
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: Ferguson police used flight restrictions to muzzle media, with feds' help

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    There has been more than 1. Just google news collisions.

    Look. I'm quite frankly sick of the jackal mentality of the news. They don't even report facts anymore. They just say whatever they want and retract it later. They still had coverage on the ground...so why not just use the ground and not the helicopters?
    I agree 150%.

    But the point of this thread is that the locals prevaricated to the feds in their request for TFR, and that little factoid shows the mentality of the authorities, and their desire to at least ATTEMPT to keep the public in the dark about what was happening there. Just that simple--the authorities make stuff up as they please.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •