Page 86 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 893

Thread: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans[W:466]

  1. #851
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I agree. Therefore I don't. By all means if you think:

    Slavery had nothing to do with racism. -- apdst

    Go ahead and attach your support to that sentiment here.
    Slavery was all about getting free labor. You can understand that if you understand that there have always been slave-owners who shared the same race as their slaves. In fact that's continuing in the world today.

    Using 'racism' as a catchall explanation for the historically unfair treatment of other human beings is probably the easiest way to go, but it's also the laziest because it demonstrates the lack of research. Slave is actually derived from the word Slav, and is centuries old.

  2. #852
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Slavery was all about getting free labor. You can understand that if you understand that there have always been slave-owners who shared the same race as their slaves. In fact that's continuing in the world today.
    Slavery in America (which is what we are talking about) was economic in its purpose and racists in its implementation. You can't say race had nothing to do with slavery in America. That would just be ridiculously obtuse. Having a slave class of another race allows for people to justify it by claiming that them being another race means that they aren't really human and can be treated as such. They were brought here for economic reasons and held in place by racial prejudices and laws wrapped around those racist prejudices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #853
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Slavery in America (which is what we are talking about) was economic in its purpose and racists in its implementation. You can't say race had nothing to do with slavery in America.
    Slavery is about getting free labor. That's it. Slavery in America was no different than slavery anywhere else. It was forcing people to work for free, or for their basic upkeep. It was also not a very good economic policy however, and you can discover more about why this was so if you read "Democracy in America", a book that should be studied in all schools.

    That would just be ridiculously obtuse. Having a slave class of another race allows for people to justify it by claiming that them being another race means that they aren't really human and can be treated as such. They were brought here for economic reasons and held in place by racial prejudices and laws wrapped around those racist prejudices.
    Certainly there were racist laws, and racist attitudes, and they come from all races, colors and religions. But slavery on its own only had one motive, and that was free labor. Indentured labor was very similar during that period and that was usually White on White.

  4. #854
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Slavery is about getting free labor. That's it. Slavery in America was no different than slavery anywhere else. It was forcing people to work for free, or for their basic upkeep. It was also not a very good economic policy however, and you can discover more about why this was so if you read "Democracy in America", a book that should be studied in all schools.

    Certainly there were racist laws, and racist attitudes, and they come from all races, colors and religions. But slavery on its own only had one motive, and that was free labor. Indentured labor was very similar during that period and that was usually White on White.
    Ok... so you are going to take this route. lol

    just for the record all I want to know is, do you stand with this comment...

    Slavery had nothing to do with racism. -- apdst

    Yes or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #855
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    human
    Ah, whatever, Landrieu lost. Shut this thread down as irrelevant.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #856
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Slavery in America (which is what we are talking about) was economic in its purpose and racists in its implementation. You can't say race had nothing to do with slavery in America. That would just be ridiculously obtuse. Having a slave class of another race allows for people to justify it by claiming that them being another race means that they aren't really human and can be treated as such. They were brought here for economic reasons and held in place by racial prejudices and laws wrapped around those racist prejudices.
    What if it's a slave class of the same race? The first slave owner in N. America was black, after all.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #857
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    You said there needed to be agreement that racism is a problem. I agree--racism is a problem, and not just among whites but all races, including blacks. So what else is new? Like the common housefly, I doubt it will ever be eradicated, especially as long as we make race an issue in this country.

    My point was that racism was a bigger problem for blacks decades ago when a black man could only take a leak in a restroom designated for "coloreds" but he still somehow managed to marry, put food on the table, go to church, and raise and educate a family. Now the bigger problem for blacks is the breakdown of the black family. Blacks need to look there first if they want to solve a problem like poverty, and they should stop using racism as a cop out for lack of material progress or attainment.

    Okay. I agree with your point almost entirely. You are correct, there are a lot of us that blame "the white man" for all our failures. However, there is a large working class of blacks like myself who are saying stop blaming everything on "the white man". I grew up in the inner city, work my way through college and got a degree. I have a great career with a great family. So for the most part, I am doing pretty good for myself. However, I do run into racism every now and then. It pisses me off because I say to myself "I'm doing everything right and I still get discriminated against".

    I think the first step to improve race relations is to get pass stereotypes on both side. Judge the individual for their actions

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  8. #858
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    What if it's a slave class of the same race? The first slave owner in N. America was black, after all.
    Like I said, it was economic in it's intention and racist in it's implementation. You can't sustain a slave class societally without justifying it through class differences of one manner or another... just to be able to say "they are slaves because they aren't us". In the US it was race based.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #859
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Some people in the GOP can't deal with the truth. But in the future the truth will deal with the GOP.

    'What goes around, comes around." No one can stop time, and/or change.
    Sorry but this just doesn't make any sense.

    The Democrats have controlled at least 2 of the 3 elected branches of the federal government for the past 8 years and the reason for this most often cited is that "the GOP is out of touch". Well, if that has been the case for 8 years then what in the hell just happened last night? Did the GOP suddenly surpass the Democrats in this regard and become the compassionate ones?

    The truth of the matter is that neither party really gives a **** about people except when it is politically expedient to do so and the pendulum swings each time one party fails to live up to their promises. The GOP had a 6 year run from 2000-2006. They ****ed it up and set the table for the Democrats from 2006-2014. Depending on what happens in 2016 we'll see where this thing goes from here but if history is any indicator it will be much more about one party screwing things up than it will be about the other party actually doing the right thing.

    We don't vote FOR people anymore. We vote AGAINST... and this is exactly what happened last night.

  10. #860
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Like I said, it was economic in it's intention and racist in it's implementation. You can't sustain a slave class societally without justifying it through class differences of one manner or another... just to be able to say "they are slaves because they aren't us". In the US it was race based.
    Well, that's how the historically challenged see it, anyways.

    The Irish Slave Trade
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 86 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •