Page 28 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 893

Thread: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans[W:466]

  1. #271
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I mainly hate bigots from Bagdad, LA., but there is so many to choose from...
    Hatred is the atmosphere of hell.

    Martin Farquhar Tupper

    Hate Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,210

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    No, they were conservative Democrats. They were people like Strom Thurmond who switched to become Republicans when they realized where the rest of the racists were headed. And African Americans are, contrary to your beliefs, smart enough to figure that out.

    Oh please, they were DEMOCRATS.

    The Democrat party has DEVOLVED to insulting its own supporters.

    Landrieu apparently thinks voters are dumb enough to buy into her false narratives.


    Hell, the entire Democrat party thinks their supporters are stupid.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,912
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If he adds this part of history to his argument, he has to admit that by 1964, the lack of Republicans in Congress made Democratic support for the CRA'64 essential to its passing. If Democrats become essential in its passing, then how can they be painted as the big bad racists he says they are? Hell, your numbers show that within 3 years, the near the middle split of the Democratic Party had turned to a majority of Democrats voting in favor of the act. So how can mac get away with saying Democrats as a party opposed it? I think you just made his simplistic narrative a lot more complicated.
    In 1964 there were only 33 Republicans in the senate of those 27 voted for the civil rights bill and 6 against it. Democrats numbered 67 which 46 voted for, 21 against. The House was about the the same, out of 248 Democrats who voted 152 voted for it, 96 against. The Republicans in the house broke down to 138 for and 34 against.

    Slightly over 80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill, the Democrats were 61% for the bill in the house and 69% in the senate. Just be thankful back then there wasn't party line voting like today.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #274
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,334

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Black folks vote with a herd mentality. Are they CAPABLE? Yes. Do they exercise that capacity when it comes to voting? Well...ask a black guy...



    97%

    Why bother even ASKING the question.
    Greetings, VanceMack.

    Malcolm X warned them in 1964 that they were chumps for voting Democrat, and expecting their lives to get better. Have they remembered what he said 50 years ago? Not so far, it appears. :

  5. #275
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    They were people like Strom Thurmond who switched to become Republicans when they realized where the rest of the racists were headed.
    No matter how many times you parrot that, it still doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #276
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,215

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    In 1964 there were only 33 Republicans in the senate of those 27 voted for the civil rights bill and 6 against it. Democrats numbered 67 which 46 voted for, 21 against. The House was about the the same, out of 248 Democrats who voted 152 voted for it, 96 against. The Republicans in the house broke down to 138 for and 34 against.

    Slightly over 80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill, the Democrats were 61% for the bill in the house and 69% in the senate. Just be thankful back then there wasn't party line voting like today.
    Ouch! That's going leave a mark!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #277
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,834

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    How did he vote?



    Oh no, I based it on the available evidence. There were 11 Republican Congressmen in the South. Guess how they voted?
    Yes there were 11 Republican Southern Congressmen. One senator and 10 House members. If you take the time to review these members records and any Republican that voted against the Civil Rights Bill you will find more times than not, they had a good record in supporting other civil rights legislation prior but some were not happy with Title II. They felt it infringed on the liberty of an individual and violated states rights. Goldwater, senator from Ar. was one who voted against the bill for those reasons. Not because he was racist. His voting record proves otherwise. His view was you can't legislate morality.
    Last edited by vesper; 11-01-14 at 01:54 PM.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    In 1964 there were only 33 Republicans in the senate of those 27 voted for the civil rights bill and 6 against it. Democrats numbered 67 which 46 voted for, 21 against. The House was about the the same, out of 248 Democrats who voted 152 voted for it, 96 against. The Republicans in the house broke down to 138 for and 34 against.

    Slightly over 80% of Republicans in the House and Senate voted for the bill, the Democrats were 61% for the bill in the house and 69% in the senate. Just be thankful back then there wasn't party line voting like today.
    Hey, I'm with ya. What I think is funny though is that people refuse to admit that those divisions in the parties were based on regional differences and not so much party ideology. It keeps being demonstrated and people just refuse to acknowledge that the "Democrats racists" and "Republicans non-racist" narrative doesn't really work across geographic lines. Republicans in the South voted just like Democrats in the South. The Civil Rights Act in all of its forms was from a congressional perspective a North v. South issue. Northern Democrats started courting blacks almost immediately after the civil war. Southern Democrats didn't. The reasons are just more than obvious and that people are attacking this lady for pointing out that the South has a history of racism and that some of those attitudes influence how a black president would be seen is simply ridiculous.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #279
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yes there were 11 Republican Southern Congressmen. One senator and 10 House members.
    I should have edited that. It was actually 11 House members and 1 Senator. Guess how they all voted?

    If you take the time to review these members records and any Republican that voted against the Civil Rights Bill you will find more times than not, they had a good record in supporting other civil rights legislation prior but some were not happy with Title II.
    Lmao, spare me. What I care about is evidence. If you want to review their voting records go for it. I work with what I am given. You threw out the CRA'64 and voting records? I responded in kind. Now: How did Southern Republicans vote?

    They felt it infringed on the liberty of an individuals and violated states rights. Goldwater, senator from Ar. was one who voted against the bill for those reasons. Not because he was racist. His voting record proves otherwise. His view was you can't legislate morality.
    Let me get your argument correct. If Republicans opposed the act, they have valid reasons like states rights. However, if Democrats opposed it, it's part of their racist history? Is that really how you want to go about this? Because I think I've shown conclusively that the narrative of both parties is a lot more complex than that. As a matter of fact, I think we've established that Democrats opposed desegregation and CRAs on the grounds that they violated their states rights. Was Bary Goldwater's concern grounded in longed, but those of Democrats who voted the same way he did not? Be careful.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #280
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,834

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I should have edited that. It was actually 11 House members and 1 Senator. Guess how they all voted?



    Lmao, spare me. What I care about is evidence. If you want to review their voting records go for it. I work with what I am given. You threw out the CRA'64 and voting records? I responded in kind. Now: How did Southern Republicans vote?



    Let me get your argument correct. If Republicans opposed the act, they have valid reasons like states rights. However, if Democrats opposed it, it's part of their racist history? Is that really how you want to go about this? Because I think I've shown conclusively that the narrative of both parties is a lot more complex than that. As a matter of fact, I think we've established that Democrats opposed desegregation and CRAs on the grounds that they violated their states rights. Was Bary Goldwater's concern grounded in longed, but those of Democrats who voted the same way he did not? Be careful.
    If you really want to get to the truth of the matter you will take the time to delve into it deeper instead of using the issue to claim conservatives/republicans are racists and sexists. It's a fact those Republicans serving in Congress at that time did have a good record in support of civil rights legislature introduced by Ike. When talking about the Southern vote it is usually refers to the states that were part of the confederacy. You will find an overwhelming number of these Democrats had no record of supporting any civil rights legislation in their time. It might also interest you in knowing the Republican Party in the 1940's had already endorsed equal rights for women as part of their platform long before the civil rights bill. It's time to stop the race baiting and war on women.

Page 28 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •