Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 893

Thread: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans[W:466]

  1. #211
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You made a dubious factual statement. I've posted numerous links that prove your statement is dubious.

    The Negro in Illinois: The WPA Papers - Google Books
    You've proven nothing. You're simply spamming google results that emphatically prove that racism also existed in the North. Slavery, institutionalized racism under the guise of States rights, voter supression, all of the above persisted for longer periods of time and to a greater degree in the South. Deal with it.

  2. #212
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,890

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Wow, the National Black Republican Association (I'm sure all three of them have a blast) "debunked" the Southern Strategy.

    Landrieu never said we were living in the 1960s; that's yet another lie.
    The NBPA has more than three members. They are a national grass roots organization for black Americans.
    They do not accept the so called "Southern Strategy" that left folks promote.
    And I never stated Landrieu "said" we were living in the 60's. It was a reference in regard to her comments that sounded like we were still living in the 60's.

  3. #213
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Sen. "Diapers" Vitter versus Mayor Mitch Landrieu next year for the Louisiana governor. As we saw with the Virginia governor last year. Inside Out--Phil Collins
    Physics is Phun

  4. #214
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    You've proven nothing. You're simply spamming google results that emphatically prove that racism also existed in the North. Slavery, institutionalized racism under the guise of States rights, voter supression, all of the above persisted for longer periods of time and to a greater degree in the South. Deal with it.
    Your objective is to propagandize Southern ownership of racism. You people never mention racism that existed outside the former Confederate states. You're trying to cover your ass by saying, "to a greater extent", which, as I've proven is a very debatable claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #215
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Your objective is to propagandize Southern ownership of racism.
    Wrong. As usual.

    You people never mention racism that existed outside the former Confederate states. You're trying to cover your ass by saying, "to a greater extent", which, as I've proven is a very debatable claim.
    To a greater extent implies that racism existed in other areas bonehead Comical levels of stupid here.

  6. #216
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Wow, the National Black Republican Association (I'm sure all three of them have a blast) "debunked" the Southern Strategy.

    Landrieu never said we were living in the 1960s; that's yet another lie.
    She's trying to svare black folks to the polls by suggesting that it's still the 1960's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,066

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    More Democrats voted in favor (overall) because there were more overall.
    Well, I'm glad you finally got that out of your system. Now, let's move on to the second part:

    ..but that's not your argument. Simply put, more northern Democrats voted against it than southern Republicans did. Simple.
    Huh? Do you understand what is being written or do you just post as you see fit? What was stated is that voting for the CRA'64 wasn't based on party lines, it was based on GEOGRAPHY and TIES TO THE CONFEDERACY. How was this proven? Two facts, 1 - Southern states voted against the CRA'64 - Fact. All 13 former confederate states voted against it. Fact. Do you have ANYTHING which disproves those facts? No? Okay, then this conversation is done.

    It's quite clear that racism was MORE entrenched in the south than anywhere else, but it's a fallacy to use that as a defense of the Democratic Party.
    Nobody has used it to defend anything. What was stated was that the narrative you're telling is ridiculous, simplistic and far from reality. The facts - pesky things they are - show that the Democratic Party was divided. How can this be proven? Again, facts. The party was undisputably divided by the numbers alone. The majority of Democrats were in favor of the CRA'64. There was a minority that was against it. How was that minority defined? It was defined by the fact that it held office almost without exception in the South and in confederate states (13 of those states provided 116 of the votes).

    Now, how do we confirm that it was along geographic lines? Again - facts - we check to see how Republicans voted. Even as a minority, Republicans - the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF SOUTHERN REPUBLICANS - voted against the bill. We have to check a third issue, how did Northern Republicans and Democrats vote? Without much of a difference. They were pretty much unilaterally in favor of it. Again, your narrative? Democrats - bad! Republicans! Good! Breaks down under any sort of scrutiny and there isn't a mangled sentence you make that can change that now.

    Racism (and racist Democrats) did exist elsewhere throughout the country, and while overall...both Parties supported the civil rights act of 1964, that can't be said of any of the previous attempts at civil rights legislation. The Republicans are clearly the majority factor in every attempt at achieving civil rights legislation from it's very beginning right up to 1964. So, it's a fallacy to claim the party that had historically opposed (including the President) civil rights up to that one vote was the driving factor, or more a factor in support of civil rights is revisionist nonsense.
    Are you, are you reading facts? Yes or no? Okay, here we go again - let's prove you are reading:

    1. How did Southern Republicans vote in regards to the CRA'64?
    2. How did Southern Democrats vote in regards to the CRA'64?
    3. How did Northern Republicans vote in regards to the CRA'64?
    4. How did Northern Democrats vote in regards to the CRA'64?

    Okay, now that you've answered those questions. Did the Democratic voting base who elected those racist Democrats and Republicans Congressmen/Senators cease to exist after 1964? Where did they go? Did they migrate out of the South? Now remember, the statement was that Obama is unpopular in the South partly because he's black. For that statement to be untrue, there simply can't be a sizeable percentage of the Southern population which was in full support of those racist Democrats and Republicans you enjoy telling and omitting about. We both know they didn't. They stayed put. Some migrated out. Some stayed Democrats, some became Republicans. Do you think 50% of the South moved North or suddenly became embracing of multicultural values? Lol. Get serious mac.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #218
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Wrong. As usual.

    To a greater extent implies that racism existed in other areas bonehead Comical levels of stupid here.
    Insults...proof that you've accepted defeat.

    Thanks for playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #219
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    As long as Blacks and LGBTs don't vote in 2014 as in 2010, this is not racist. It is only racist for DEMs to ask their core constituencies from 2008 and 2012 to vote for Dems now. Not so for the GOPs to ask their baggies and RW militia folks to vote now .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #220
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Sen. Landrieu's remarks on race anger Republicans

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    More Democrats voted in favor (overall) because there were more overall...but that's not your argument. Simply put, more northern Democrats voted against it than southern Republicans did. Simple.

    It's quite clear that racism was MORE entrenched in the south than anywhere else, but it's a fallacy to use that as a defense of the Democratic Party. Racism (and racist Democrats) did exist elsewhere throughout the country, and while overall...both Parties supported the civil rights act of 1964, that can't be said of any of the previous attempts at civil rights legislation. The Republicans are clearly the majority factor in every attempt at achieving civil rights legislation from it's very beginning right up to 1964. So, it's a fallacy to claim the party that had historically opposed (including the President) civil rights up to that one vote was the driving factor, or more a factor in support of civil rights is revisionist nonsense.
    Since this got me curious, just for the heck of it I looked up the 1957 and 1960 civil rights bills passed under Eisenhower:
    1957 House Democrats 122 AYE Republican 172 AYE
    1957 House Democrats 109 Nay Republican 22 Nay
    1957 Senate Democrats 29 Aye Republican 43 AYE
    1957 Senate Democrats 18 Nay Republican 0 Nay
    1960 House Democrat 179 AYE Republican 132 AYE
    1960 House Democrat 93 Nay Republican 15 Nay
    1960 Senate Democrat 44 AYE Republican 34 AYE
    1960 Senate Democrat 18 Nay Republican 0 Nay
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 22 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •