Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 93

Thread: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Neutrality is so very unpopular, I know.

    It is such bizarre behavior to consider all sides to any controversy.
    Neutrality, when it is one country against your homeland, is impossible.

  2. #72
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Putin is such an arrogant prick child. He could be engaging the problems of the world instead of creating them. What an ignorant self-absorbed bastard ego-maniac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #73
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 09:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,267

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Neutrality, when it is one country against your homeland, is impossible.
    Is it the homeland, or the government of the homeland?

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Is it the homeland, or the government of the homeland?
    Homeland first, government second, all in the same place though so trivialities are irrelevant. If Russia attacks the U.S. Homeland, they'll obviously target official and civilian population centers alike.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    These are obvious pretenses for american and UN involvement in war. the tensions are building. Main stream media didnt post what putin said a few days later, he talks about NATO and the UN pushing for a new order. I dont think russia is a great country, and i dont defend them. However, in this current process it is western government that is bullying russia.
    Your assertions are chalked full of RT propaganda, half truths, and outright lies.

    it was Russia that started all of this first with economic warfare in order to prevent the Ukraine's right to self determination:

    Ukraine's Employers Federation: Russia's customs service halts all Ukrainian imports

    Ukraine's Employers Federation: Russia's customs service halts all Ukrainian imports

    This prompted peaceful protests to join the EU both of which were supported by the majority of Ukrainians:

    Public opinion about Euromaidan

    According to December 2013 polls (by three different pollsters) between 45% and 50% of Ukrainians supported Euromaidan, while between 42% and 50% opposed it.[126][127][128] The biggest support for the protest can be found in Kiev (about 75%) and western Ukraine (more than 80%).[126][129] Among Euromaidan protesters, 55% are from the west of the country, with 24% from central Ukraine and 21% from the east.[130]

    In a poll taken on 7–8 December, 73% of protesters had committed to continue protesting in Kiev as long as needed until their demands are fulfilled.[6] This number has increased to 82% as of 3 February 2014.[130] Polls also show that the nation is divided in age: while majority of young people are pro-EU, older generations (50 and above) more often prefer the Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia.[131] More than 41% of protesters are ready to take part in the seizure of administrative buildings as of February, compared to 13 and 19 percent during polls on 10 and 20 December 2013. At the same time, more than 50 percent are ready to take part in the creation of independent military units, compared to 15 and 21 percent during the past studies, respectively.[130]

    According to a January poll, 45% of Ukrainians supported the protests, and 48% of Ukrainians disapproved of Euromaidan.[132]

    In a March poll, 57% of Ukrainians said they supported the Euromaidan protests.[133]

    A study conducted at Harvard University examining public opinion in regular and social media found that 74% of Russian speakers in Ukraine supported the Euromaidan movement, and a quarter opposed.[134]

    Public opinion about joining the EU


    According to an August 2013 study by a Donetsk company, Research & Branding Group,[135] 49% of Ukrainians supported signing the Association Agreement, while 31% opposed it and the rest had not decided yet. However, in a December poll by the same company, only 30% claimed that terms of the Association agreement would be beneficial for the Ukrainian economy, while 39% said they were unfavourable for Ukraine. In the same poll, only 30% said the opposition would be able to stabilise the society and govern the country well, if coming to power, while 37% disagreed.[136]

    Authors of the GfK Ukraine poll conducted 2–15 October 2013 claim that 45% of respondents believed Ukraine should sign an Association Agreement with the EU, whereas only 14% favoured joining the Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia, and 15% preferred non-alignment. Full text of the EU-related question asked by GfK reads, "Should Ukraine sign the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement, and, in the future, become an EU member?"[137][138]

    Another poll conducted in November by IFAK Ukraine for DW-Trend showed 58% of Ukrainians supporting the country's entry into the European Union.[139] On the other hand a November 2013 poll by Kyiv International Institute of Sociology showed 39% supporting the country's entry into the European Union and 37% supporting Ukraine's accession to the Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia.[140]

    In December 2013, then Prime Minister of Ukraine Mykola Azarov refuted the pro-EU poll numbers claiming that many polls posed questions about Ukraine joining the EU, and that Ukraine had never been invited to join the Union, but only to sign the Association Agreement.[141][142]


    Euromaidan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The claim that the protesters were funded, armed, or directed by the US is absolutely false:

    US Did Not Spend $5 Billion to Destabilize Yanukovich


    <<<CONTINUED BELOW>>>

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    <<<CONTINUED>>>


    These initially peaceful protests resulted in a Russian puppet at the direct behest of Putin, sending in his jack booted thugs to attack and murder the protesters on November 30th 2013:

    Putin pressured Yanukovych to crack down on the Maidan protesters. Ukrainska Pravda found that the notebooks of Yanukovych's security chief, Kostyantyn Kobzar, detail a private meeting between the two leaders at Putin's residence at Valdai on January 8, as the Maidan protests continued to grow.


    What the Ousted Ukrainian President Tried to Hide Before He Fled | New Republic


    Ukraine's bloody crackdown leads to call for sanctions
    Violent dispersal of pro-European protesters sparks opposition demand for trade embargo


    Ukraine's bloody crackdown leads to call for sanctions | World news | The Guardian

    The assertions that the snipers were protesters rather than Yanukovych Russian backed jack booted thugs is pure propaganda:


    15.17 Our correspondent, Damien McElroy, has spoken to the doctor at the centre of the claims that snipers that shot people in Kiev were hired by Maidan leaders:

    Olga Bogomolets said she had not told Mr Paet that policemen and protesters had been killed in the same manner.

    "Myself I saw only protesters. I do not know the type of wounds suffered by military people," she told The Telegraph. "I have no access to those people."

    But she said she had asked for a full forensic criminal investigation into the deaths that occurred in the Maidan. "No one who just sees the wounds when treating the victims can make a determination about the type of weapons. I hope international experts and Ukrainian investigators will make a determination of what type of weapons, who was involved in the killings and how it was done. I have no data to prove anything.

    "I was a doctor helping to save people on the square. There were 15 people killed on the first day by snipers. They were shot directly to the heart, brain and arteries. There were more than 40 the next day, 12 of them died in my arms.

    "Our nation has to ask the question who were the killers, who asked them to come to Ukraine. We need good answers on the basis of expertise."

    Mr Paet's assertion that an opposition figure was behind the Maidan massacre was not one she could share.

    "I think you can only say something like this on the basis of fact," she said. "Its not correct and its not good to do this. It should be based on fact."

    She said the new government in Kiev had assured her a criminal investigation had begun but that she had not direct contact with it so far.

    "They told me they have begun a criminal process and if they say that I believe them. The police have not given me any information on it."


    Ukraine crisis: March 5 as it happened - Telegraph


    Ukraine's special police shot dead dozens of anti-government protesters in Kiev in February, an initial government inquiry has found.

    Interior Minister Arsen Avakov told reporters 12 members of the Berkut police had been identified and three of them had been already arrested.


    The inquiry relates to the shootings on Instytutska street in Kiev, where 76 people were killed on 18-20 February......

    Meanwhile, Ukrainian Security Service chief Valentyn Nalyvaychenko said that Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) operatives had been involved in planning operations against the protesters. ....


    BBC News - Special police shot Kiev protesters, inquiry says

    This resulted in his impeachment followed by his treasonous self imposed exile to Russian occupied territory:

    Ukraine’s parliament votes to oust president; former prime minister is freed from prison
    Ukraine

    <<<CONTINUED BELOW>>>

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    <<<CONTINUED>>>


    Then what happened next is Russia invaded, occupied, installed an occupation government with Spec Ops holding AKs and rocket launchers in the Crimean parliamentary building during the swearing in of a new Crimean "prime minister" and this was followed by the outright illegal annexation of sovereign Ukrainian territory by the Russian Federation through a fraudulent and illegal referendum in which only two options were offered cessation or annexation rather than maintaining the status quo and which violated both the Crimean and Ukrainian Constitutions:

    Following the Ukrainian revolution, on February 27 an emergency session was held in the Crimean legislature while it was occupied by armed pro-Russian forces.[4] The masked gunmen identified themselves as members of Crimea’s "self-defense forces", all of which are, according to Aksyonov, directly under his control.[4] After sealing the doors and confiscating all mobile phones, the MPs who had been invited by Aksyonov to enter the building, passed the motion in the presence of the gunmen armed with Kalashnikov's and rocket launchers.[11][4][12][9]

    Sergey Aksyonov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    As we ALL know by now those so called "self defense forces" are Russian troops not wearing a fixed insignia in overt violation of the laws and customs of war as proven by video recordings of them admitting that they are Russian troops, as well as, the types of uniforms and weapons they are carrying which are exclusive to Russian special forces, not to mention that Russia has finally admitted it:

    The presence of Russian troops is acknowledged by new Crimean leader Sergei Aksyenov.[56] The troops were subsequently identified, based on their battle dress and equipment, as belonging to the 45th Spetsnaz Regiment, which has previously been deployed to conflicts such as Georgia and Kyrgyzstan.[80]

    2014 Russian military intervention in Ukraine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Aksenov acknowledged Saturday that Russian troops were protecting key sites in Crimea.

    “We have established cooperation with the Black Sea Fleet in protecting the important assets,” Aksenov said in televised remarks. “I am sure they can carry out tasks to protect public order.”


    New Crimea leaders move up referendum date - LA Times

    Crimea Invaded By High Readiness Forces Of The Russian Federation





    Unknown soldiers - upper picture.

    - New EMR camouflage combat uniforms used only by Russian Federation forces

    - New 6sh112 tactical vest used only by Russian Federation forces

    - New 6B27 composite helmet used only by Russian Federation forces

    - New 7,62 mm PKP machine guns used only by Russian Federation forces

    - Russian 5,45 mm AK74M assault rifles

    As a conclusion it is evident that the troops in question are high readiness troops of the Russian Federation.

    Unknonw soldiers - lower picture.

    - 6B26 composite helmets used only by airborne troops of the Russian Federation

    - Russian 5,45 mm AK74M assault rifles

    Soldier on the left:

    - New EMR-camouflage combat uniform used only by Russian Federation forces

    - 6SH92-5 tactical vest used only by airborne troops of the Russian Federation

    Soldier on the right:

    - Russian special forces and mountain troops Gorka-3 combat uniform used only by Russian Federation forces

    - Russian special forces Smersh AK/VOG tactical vest used only by Russian Federation forces

    With a 99 % probability we argue that these troops are the 45th Guards Separate Reconnaissance Regiment of VDV (Russian: 45-й гвардейский отдельный разведывательный ордена Александра Невского полк ВДВ), Kubinka, Moscow.


    Crimea Invaded By High Readiness Forces Of The Russian Federation | Suomen Sotilas

    Ukraine crisis: 'Russians' occupy Crimea airports


    The BBC has seen eight trucks with the black plates of the Russian army moving towards Simferopol

    Unconfirmed reports say eight Russian military helicopters have arrived in Sevastopol


    BBC News - Ukraine crisis: 'Russians' occupy Crimea airports[/QUOTE]



    Ukraine crisis: 'Russians' occupy Crimea airports


    The BBC has seen eight trucks with the black plates of the Russian army moving towards Simferopol

    Unconfirmed reports say eight Russian military helicopters have arrived in Sevastopol


    BBC News - Ukraine crisis: 'Russians' occupy Crimea airports

    Russia has vowed its troops will remain in Ukraine to protect Russian interests and citizens until the political situation has been "normalised".


    Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Russia was defending human rights against "ultra-nationalist threats".

    Russia is now in de facto military control of the Crimea region, despite Western condemnation of a "violation of Ukraine's sovereignty".


    BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Russia vows troops will stay

    Russian foreign ministry admits to entering Crimea from its Black Sea Fleet base as the Ukraine's interior minister accuses country of 'armed invasion'

    Ukraine crisis live: President Barack Obama warns of 'costs' for any violation of Ukraine - Telegraph


    Russia admits that it has moved troops in Ukraine

    Russia has finally confirmed that it has moved troops into Ukraine's restive Crimea region, after speculation about Moscow's involvement

    Russia admits that it has moved troops in Ukraine - Telegraph

    <<<CONTINUED BELOW>>>

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    05-05-15 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    632

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    <<<CONTINUED>>>


    Article 72.

    An All-Ukrainian referendum is designated by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine or by the President of Ukraine, in accordance with their authority established by this Constitution.

    An All-Ukrainian referendum is called on popular initiative on the request of no less than three million citizens of Ukraine who have the right to vote, on the condition that the signatures in favour of designating the referendum have been collected i n no less than two-thirds of the oblasts, with no less than 100 000 signatures in each oblast.

    Article 73.

    Issues of altering the territory of Ukraine are resolved exclusively by an All-Ukrainian referendum.


    http://www.legislationline.org/docum.../popup/id/7111

    It was not only illegal under the Ukrainian Constitution but under the Crimean Constitution as well:

    7
    In order for the referendum to be constitutional and legal, it would be required that the issues put before the voters be issues which can be the object of a local referendum under the Constitutions of Ukraine and the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. The Constitution of Ukraine enjoys supremacy over the Constitution of Crimea as an autonomous republic. Ukraine is a unitary state (Article 2 of the Constitution of Ukraine). According to Article 132 of the Constitution of Ukraine, “the territorial structure of Ukraine is based on the principles of unity and indivisibility of the state territory, the combination of centralization and decentralization in the exercise of state power, and the balanced socioeconomic development of regions (...)”. Under Article 134 of the Constitution of Ukraine, “the Autonomous Republic of Crimea is an inseparable constituent part of Ukraine and decides on the issues ascribed to its competence within the limits of authority determined by the Constitution of Ukraine”. The Autonomous Republic of Crimea therefore enjoys autonomy only to the extent that powers were transferred to it by the Constitution of Ukraine
    .
    8
    .
    Accordingly, Article 135 of the Constitution of Ukraine holds that, “regulatory legal acts of the Verkhovna Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and decisions of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea shall not contradict the Constitution and laws of Ukraine and shall be adopted in accordance wit h and in pursuance of the Constitution of Ukraine, laws of Ukraine, acts of the President of Ukraine and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine”. A corresponding provision is included in Article 28 of the Constitution of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea: “The statutory acts of the Supreme Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea upon any and all matters regarding the powers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea shall conform to the Constitution of Ukraine and Ukrainian laws.” An act by an authority of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea which is contrary to the Constitution of Ukraine is therefore also contrary to the Constitution of Crimea.


    http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/d...282014%29002-e

    This illegal invasion, occupation, and annexation was deemed illegal by the vast majority of the UNGA:

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262

    The resolution, which was supported by 100 United Nations member states, affirmed the United Nations commitment to recognize Crimea within Ukraine’s international borders and underscored the invalidity of the 2014 Crimean referendum. Armenia, Belarus, Bolivia, Cuba, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russia, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe all voted against the resolution. There were also 58 abstentions, and a further 24 states did not vote through being absent when the vote took place.

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases

    Even the UNSC voted against it and had it not been for Russia's permanent member status it would have passed, even China abstained which was tantamount to a yes vote:

    15 March 2014 – Owing to the negative vote of one of its permanent members, the United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt a draft resolution which urged countries not to recognize the results of this weekend's referendum in Crimea.

    Thirteen of the Council's 15 members voted in favour of the draft text, Russia voted against, and China abstained. A veto by any of the Council's five permanent members – China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States – means a resolution cannot be adopted.


    United Nations News Centre - UN Security Council action on Crimea referendum blocked

    Furthermore; the only mass murder of Ukrainians in the East was and is conducted and being conducted by the Russian funded, armed, trained and directed terrorists against ethnic Ukrainians and that is not according to me it is according to the United Nations Human Rights investigators into the matter:




    “We are talking of a reign of fear, if not of terror” in the pockets of territory around Donetsk and Luhansk controlled by armed separatists and now experiencing a state of total lawlessness, Mr. Magazzeni said, citing cases of people shot at checkpoints for no reason and members of armed groups who were summarily shot because they no longer wanted to fight.

    “The escalation in criminal activity resulting in human rights abuses is no longer limited to targeting journalists, elected representatives, local politicians, civil servants and civil society activists,” the report stated. “Abductions, detentions, acts of ill-treatment and torture, and killings by armed groups are now affecting the broader population of the two eastern regions.”


    They further report that pogroms in the Crimea are responsible for ethnic cleansing in the Crimea:

    The United Nations refugee agency has reported that more than 34,000 Ukrainians have been displaced. Most were from Crimea, where people who speak Ukrainian or do not want to change their nationality to Russian face discrimination and intimidation, Mr. Magazzeni said.

    “They are mostly concerned about security: people report staying in cellars to keep away from the fighting, facing harassment at checkpoints and fearing the increasingly common abductions, threats and extortion,” the monitors reported.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/wo...aine.html?_r=0

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by face, your View Post
    <<<CONTINUED>>>


    Article 72.

    An All-Ukrainian referendum is designated by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine or by the President of Ukraine, in accordance with their authority established by this Constitution.

    An All-Ukrainian referendum is called on popular initiative on the request of no less than three million citizens of Ukraine who have the right to vote, on the condition that the signatures in favour of designating the referendum have been collected i n no less than two-thirds of the oblasts, with no less than 100 000 signatures in each oblast.

    Article 73.

    Issues of altering the territory of Ukraine are resolved exclusively by an All-Ukrainian referendum.


    http://www.legislationline.org/docum.../popup/id/7111

    It was not only illegal under the Ukrainian Constitution but under the Crimean Constitution as well:

    7
    In order for the referendum to be constitutional and legal, it would be required that the issues put before the voters be issues which can be the object of a local referendum under the Constitutions of Ukraine and the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. The Constitution of Ukraine enjoys supremacy over the Constitution of Crimea as an autonomous republic. Ukraine is a unitary state (Article 2 of the Constitution of Ukraine). According to Article 132 of the Constitution of Ukraine, “the territorial structure of Ukraine is based on the principles of unity and indivisibility of the state territory, the combination of centralization and decentralization in the exercise of state power, and the balanced socioeconomic development of regions (...)”. Under Article 134 of the Constitution of Ukraine, “the Autonomous Republic of Crimea is an inseparable constituent part of Ukraine and decides on the issues ascribed to its competence within the limits of authority determined by the Constitution of Ukraine”. The Autonomous Republic of Crimea therefore enjoys autonomy only to the extent that powers were transferred to it by the Constitution of Ukraine
    .
    8
    .
    Accordingly, Article 135 of the Constitution of Ukraine holds that, “regulatory legal acts of the Verkhovna Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and decisions of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea shall not contradict the Constitution and laws of Ukraine and shall be adopted in accordance wit h and in pursuance of the Constitution of Ukraine, laws of Ukraine, acts of the President of Ukraine and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine”. A corresponding provision is included in Article 28 of the Constitution of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea: “The statutory acts of the Supreme Rada of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea upon any and all matters regarding the powers of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea shall conform to the Constitution of Ukraine and Ukrainian laws.” An act by an authority of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea which is contrary to the Constitution of Ukraine is therefore also contrary to the Constitution of Crimea.


    http://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/d...282014%29002-e

    This illegal invasion, occupation, and annexation was deemed illegal by the vast majority of the UNGA:

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262

    The resolution, which was supported by 100 United Nations member states, affirmed the United Nations commitment to recognize Crimea within Ukraine’s international borders and underscored the invalidity of the 2014 Crimean referendum. Armenia, Belarus, Bolivia, Cuba, North Korea, Nicaragua, Russia, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe all voted against the resolution. There were also 58 abstentions, and a further 24 states did not vote through being absent when the vote took place.

    United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region

    General Assembly Adopts Resolution Calling upon States Not to Recognize Changes in Status of Crimea Region | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases

    Even the UNSC voted against it and had it not been for Russia's permanent member status it would have passed, even China abstained which was tantamount to a yes vote:

    15 March 2014 – Owing to the negative vote of one of its permanent members, the United Nations Security Council today failed to adopt a draft resolution which urged countries not to recognize the results of this weekend's referendum in Crimea.

    Thirteen of the Council's 15 members voted in favour of the draft text, Russia voted against, and China abstained. A veto by any of the Council's five permanent members – China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States – means a resolution cannot be adopted.


    United Nations News Centre - UN Security Council action on Crimea referendum blocked

    Furthermore; the only mass murder of Ukrainians in the East was and is conducted and being conducted by the Russian funded, armed, trained and directed terrorists against ethnic Ukrainians and that is not according to me it is according to the United Nations Human Rights investigators into the matter:




    “We are talking of a reign of fear, if not of terror” in the pockets of territory around Donetsk and Luhansk controlled by armed separatists and now experiencing a state of total lawlessness, Mr. Magazzeni said, citing cases of people shot at checkpoints for no reason and members of armed groups who were summarily shot because they no longer wanted to fight.

    “The escalation in criminal activity resulting in human rights abuses is no longer limited to targeting journalists, elected representatives, local politicians, civil servants and civil society activists,” the report stated. “Abductions, detentions, acts of ill-treatment and torture, and killings by armed groups are now affecting the broader population of the two eastern regions.”


    They further report that pogroms in the Crimea are responsible for ethnic cleansing in the Crimea:

    The United Nations refugee agency has reported that more than 34,000 Ukrainians have been displaced. Most were from Crimea, where people who speak Ukrainian or do not want to change their nationality to Russian face discrimination and intimidation, Mr. Magazzeni said.

    “They are mostly concerned about security: people report staying in cellars to keep away from the fighting, facing harassment at checkpoints and fearing the increasingly common abductions, threats and extortion,” the monitors reported.


    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/19/wo...aine.html?_r=0

    Russia has a base in Crimea

    E.u. Sanctioned Ukraine because of response to attempted coup

    Crimea voted to stay with Russia, e.u does not care

    E.u. Sanctioned Russia for moving in troops to protect base

    Malaysian aircraft was shot down by "ukranian anti e.u. Rebels with Russian arms" Russia asked for prove, non was given.

    These are all things that happened, and tell me why the hell do we as the u.s.a need to be involved in any of this at all?

  10. #80
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    Russia has a base in Crimea
    Russia LEASED a base in Crimea from the rightful owner... Ukraine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    E.u. Sanctioned Ukraine because of response to attempted coup
    The EU never sanctioned Ukraine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    Crimea voted to stay with Russia, e.u does not care
    Referendum was illegal under both constitutions (Ukraine/Crimea) and held during an armed occupation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    E.u. Sanctioned Russia for moving in troops to protect base
    EU initially sanctioned Russia for the illegal annexation of Crimea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    Malaysian aircraft was shot down by "ukranian anti e.u. Rebels with Russian arms" Russia asked for prove, non was given.
    The forensic investigation is still underway. The rebels tampered with the crash site evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    These are all things that happened, and tell me why the hell do we as the u.s.a need to be involved in any of this at all?
    Because the executive and legislative branches of your government deem it important.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •