Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

  1. #51
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Why do think he's weak? What do expect him to do short of going to war with Russia over a country that is not only divided in its loyalties but not of strategic importance to us.
    Ukraine has tremendous potential strategic/economic significance. This is why Russia is doing everything possible - even applying direct force - to prevent Ukraine from turning West.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

  2. #52
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Ukraine has tremendous potential strategic/economic significance. This is why Russia is doing everything possible - even applying direct force - to prevent Ukraine from turning West.
    From the outside looking in, from a distance, I suspect there are also other reasons why Russia is trying to prevent the West from camping out in its back yard, ESPECIALLY considering the contemporary record of the West, especially the US. Considering the rhetoric of Zbig and many others, the stated purpose of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, I would say their concerns are justified.

  3. #53
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    From the outside looking in, from a distance, I suspect there are also other reasons why Russia is trying to prevent the West from camping out in its back yard, ESPECIALLY considering the contemporary record of the West, especially the US. Considering the rhetoric of Zbig and many others, the stated purpose of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, I would say their concerns are justified.
    As a sovereign nation, Ukraine should be free to choose its own destiny. Not history. Not backyards.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    From the outside looking in, from a distance, I suspect there are also other reasons why Russia is trying to prevent the West from camping out in its back yard, ESPECIALLY considering the contemporary record of the West, especially the US. Considering the rhetoric of Zbig and many others, the stated purpose of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, I would say their concerns are justified.
    Of course they are, but why be concerned of them? Diplomacy between our two nations are at a low point right now, there won't be any coming of minds. You gotta pick a side in this one too man.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    As a sovereign nation, Ukraine should be free to choose its own destiny. Not history. Not backyards.
    Yeah, but we can all wish in one hand... you know? The big guys on the block do what they want with the small guys.

    Kind of like this:






  6. #56
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    The big guys on the block do what they want with the small guys.
    Ukraine isn't a small guy. 46 million people and the largest country totally within the European continent. It's current problems stem from Russian domination/neglect for the past 300 years. This is why the majority of Ukrainians wish to align with the EU and the West. Needless to say, such a shift would be a huge embarrassment to Russia.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,372

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Ukraine isn't a small guy. 46 million people and the largest country totally within the European continent. It's current problems stem from Russian domination/neglect for the past 300 years. This is why the majority of Ukrainians wish to align with the EU and the West. Needless to say, such a shift would be a huge embarrassment to Russia.
    It looks like the that situation is over in the way the Georgian land grab is. The Russians are not giving back Crimea and probably will back the Eastern provinces' secession. And as the population there probably does in its majority want to go it with Russia....

    The EU bungled it badly, and will pay a price in support.

    The great price is being paid by the people of Ukraine, who believed the EU schmoozes about being the guarantor of Peace in Europe.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Ukraine isn't a small guy. 46 million people and the largest country totally within the European continent. It's current problems stem from Russian domination/neglect for the past 300 years. This is why the majority of Ukrainians wish to align with the EU and the West. Needless to say, such a shift would be a huge embarrassment to Russia.
    Russia > Ukraine

    Big Guy > Little Guy

    Sure, Ukraine is the size of like 4.6 Michigan's population wise, but there military, in comparison to Russia's, definitely makes them the Little Guy. Russia could have its way with the Ukraine just like Bubba does Little Guys in prison.

  9. #59
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Russia > Ukraine

    Big Guy > Little Guy

    Sure, Ukraine is the size of like 4.6 Michigan's population wise, but there military, in comparison to Russia's, definitely makes them the Little Guy. Russia could have its way with the Ukraine just like Bubba does Little Guys in prison.
    True enough. But force is not necessarily equivalent to righteousness. The US invading and annexing Cuba tomorrow would be just as wrong and illegal as Russia's invasion and annexation of Crimea in March.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

  10. #60
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,144

    Re: New Russian Boldness Revives a Cold War Tradition: Testing the Other Side

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    The EU bungled it badly
    I agree. They had no inkling of how far Putin would go to ensure Ukraine remains a captive state.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

    Repeal and Replace Trump.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •