Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81

Thread: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

  1. #61
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Zimmerman's life story, both before and after the shooting clearly demonstrate that he is a willfull idiot:

    Failing out of "State U", two arrests, and a pattern of "misunderstandings" with employers, girl friends, and the police. Not surprisingly, he then does something dumb while carrying a weapon.

    Your understanding is what is flawed.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #62
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    is that a punishable offense?

    He isn't the brightest bulb in the box, but then again neither are millions of other Americans. Ditto's right. It's time to let him go.
    No, being a willful idiot is not a punishable offense here. As an academic point, however, Napoleonic law may allow the willfully idiotic to be criminally punished as such in some cases. Of course, we do not have a Napoleonic system.

    I also agree with Ditto, and with you- the federal charges are contrived and unsustainable. They should never have been placed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Your understanding is what is flawed.
    Would you want "Z-man" marrying your daughter?
    Last edited by Cryptic; 11-18-14 at 01:52 PM.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Would you want "Z-man" marrying your daughter?
    I really couldn't care less, especially as he isn't a willful idiot.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #64
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,447

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    I really, really hate that stuff like this happens. They guy was tried once by the state of Florida. They couldn't make their case so now the Feds have to try. I know it isn't a double jeopardy situation but it should be. Trying a guy twice in two separate court systems for the same event is just wrong.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  5. #65
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Trying a guy twice in two separate court systems for the same event is just wrong.
    I agree with what you say.
    But while it may be the same event, it is for different things.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #66
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,447

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    I agree with what you say.
    But while it may be the same event, it is for different things.
    I agree. That's why it's not a double jeopardy issue. What's wrong to me is the idea that people have to submit to 2 trials and have twice as many sleepless nights. People are owed some measure of certainty and finality.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #67
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    People are owed some measure of certainty and finality.
    Which is what trials are supposed to bring to the specific charges.

    I just disagree with this because the information is overwhelming that there wasn't any Civil Rights violation.

    If there was at least a modicum of evidence to suggest such I would be all for not charging an individual until the investigation is complete.
    But in this case the length of the investigation seems absurdly long.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #68
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I really, really hate that stuff like this happens. They guy was tried once by the state of Florida. They couldn't make their case so now the Feds have to try. I know it isn't a double jeopardy situation but it should be. Trying a guy twice in two separate court systems for the same event is just wrong.
    This case is a non starter, Z was acquitted of all charges and now they want to try him for what? Killing a black kid.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  9. #69
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,447

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Which is what trials are supposed to bring to the specific charges.

    I just disagree with this because the information is overwhelming that there wasn't any Civil Rights violation.

    If there was at least a modicum of evidence to suggest such I would be all for not charging an individual until the investigation is complete.
    But in this case the length of the investigation seems absurdly long.
    Two trials stemming from the same incident is one too many. Decide who has jurisdiction, decide on the charges, have the trial and be done with it. In the best
    case the guy is acquitted both times and is in debt for the rest of his life. In the worst he would have been acquitted in both but couldn't afford a decent defense the second time around goes to jail and is debt for the rest of his life.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #70
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,126
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Grand jury assembling in civil-rights case involving George Zimmerman

    Only in Obama's Imperialistic America would such a case be pursued.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •