Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 95

Thread: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

  1. #61
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Isn't it great that you can blame Obama for a bad economy and in the same breath deny Obama any credit when things improve?
    Because the increase is only on private lands that the administration cant inhibit.
    And as we have begun exporting so much it conceals the sinking exports of everything else.
    the inly impact the administration has had is negative.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No. The fact that the Obama administration has sought to restrict and slow domestic energy production is history, not ideological.
    Yes, the framing of the argument, ignoring any causes of any past decisions, is ideologically driven. But go ahead and continue to reduce your argument to avoid the appearance of ideology.

    Similarly, your inability to accurately cite what was stated is unsurprising and partisan, but not ideological.
    Your semantic nonsense shot itself in the foot, partisanship (which your posts are ironically filled with) is ideological.
    Hope that helps.
    Your argument, as usual, needs work.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #63
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Yes, the framing of the argument, ignoring any causes of any past decisions, is ideologically driven.
    Let me get this straight. Are you arguing that referencing the Administrations' stated goal of hampering US energy production is an ideological argument?

    But go ahead and continue to reduce your argument to avoid the appearance of ideology.
    Dude.
    Define: Ideology
    ideology
    ˌīdēˈləjē,ˌidēˈləjē/
    noun
    noun: ideology; plural noun: ideologies

    • 1.
      a system of ideas and ideals, especially one that forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.
      "the ideology of republicanism"
      synonyms: beliefs, ideas, ideals, principles, ethics, morals; Moredoctrine, creed, credo, faith, teaching, theory, philosophy;
      tenets, canon(s);
      conviction(s), persuasion;
      informalism
      "the party has to jettison outdated ideology and give up its stranglehold on power"




      • the ideas and manner of thinking characteristic of a group, social class, or individual.
        "a critique of bourgeois ideology"


      • archaic
        visionary speculation, especially of an unrealistic or idealistic nature.






    • 2.
      archaic
      the science of ideas; the study of their origin and nature.







    You fail.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the House can't do anything - you can't govern from one half of one branch of the three branches of the Federal Government. Furthermore, this President has overseen a vast expansion of the Executive into Legislative powers.
    Uh....the context was economic activity, specifically demand....and the GOP House has been THE stumbling block to any and all significant measures to increase demand.



    which is A) false, B) does not speak to whether or not businesses were succeeding in spite of the Administration, and C) does not speak to the specific example of the Fracking industry, which is.
    You are still ignoring that macro environment drives the decisions whether to frack or not, those far outstrip what the admin has or has not done in regard to fracking. Further, local and state govt decisions on the banning or allowance of fracking has had much more direct effect on whether it happens or not....at all. And again, as the price of oil comes down, the economics of fracking become less profitable. From what I have read, it only makes sense in the lowest cost areas when the price remains above $80-$85....that is when the locals allow the depletion/polluting of ground water and the burning off of NG (no capture), etc....the "externalities" that some want to ignore.



    I'm on board with Dick then. I could care less about which form of energy we are consuming - only that it is plentiful, cheap, and safe.
    I know you are with the Dick (again, "not" ideologically driven!), and are want to ignore externalities (they aren't cheap).
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #65
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Uh....the context was economic activity, specifically demand....and the GOP House has been THE stumbling block to any and all significant measures to increase demand.
    Ah. You are blaiming the House for solidifying astronomically high spending rates because they didn't agree with the President to implement super astronomically high spending rates? yeah. That'll fly.

    POTUS ramped up federal expenditures, and the House GOP at best stopped him from doing any more. So even your own argument leaves POTUS holding the bag on that front

    You are still ignoring that macro environment that drives the decisions whether to frack or not, those far outstrip what the admin has or has not done in regard to fracking.
    I think you are either deliberately misreading, or suffering from short-term memory loss. The point is not that US Fracking has failed, it is that it has succeeded in spite of the President.

  6. #66
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    This is good news.
    Hey, though, how does this compare to other Recoveries?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    It doesn't, as the 2008 - 2009 economic & financial crisis was a once in a generation event.
    Exactly right.
    This was no ordinary recession.
    2008 was a Mitigated-1929 event because the FED knew what to do this time.
    Ergo we did MUCH better than the 'Dead Decade' of the 30s.

    It's especially good in the face of/despite the Rest of the Planet being Dead in the water.
    However, I don't know how long it can continue with that Int'l circumstance.
    Fracking/O&G production has been our ace-in-the-hole. Maybe half the growth.

    And low Oil prices are a Net stimulus to the rest of our and many economies. IOW, a Stealth QE4 has begun.
    Last edited by mbig; 10-30-14 at 02:10 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #67
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Let me get this straight. Are you arguing that referencing the Administrations' stated goal of hampering US energy production is an ideological argument?
    I'm sure you can find some out of context absolutist "statement" to "justify" your ideologically driven argument....of this I have no doubt.



    Dude.
    You fail.
    Dude, you failed to show that your argument is not ideologically driven....or that partisanship is not at base about ideology.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I'm sure you can find some out of context absolutist "statement" to "justify" your ideologically driven argument....of this I have no doubt.
    Dude. If I was attempting to explain how things happened, that would be an ideological argument. Here I am pointing out that things happened. That is a historical argument.

    You seem to have confused "ideology" with "partisanship".

    Dude, you failed to show that your argument is not ideologically driven....or that partisanship is not at base about ideology.
    Partisanship is about loyalty to a group. Ideology is a set of beliefs.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Ah. You are blaiming the House for solidifying astronomically high spending rates because they didn't agree with the President to implement super astronomically high spending rates? yeah. That'll fly.
    Whu...? I thought the GOP crowing about limiting the budget to near austerity levels....was being done by the GOP.

    The argument is, that when an economy is experiencing slack demand, the govt should step up, otherwise you experience long extended slow recoveries. I really hope you are not going to require graphs to show the flattening of spending to see this basic fact.

    POTUS ramped up federal expenditures, and the House GOP at best stopped him from doing any more. So even your own argument leaves POTUS holding the bag on that front
    If you are admitting what I said, I'm fine with that. The "ramping" was emergency short term increases in response to the bag Bush handed off.



    Do we REALLY have this discussion AGAIN?



    I think you are either deliberately misreading, or suffering from short-term memory loss. The point is not that US Fracking has failed, it is that it has succeeded in spite of the President.
    Irony again, there was never an argument that "fracking failed" in any aspect from me. Maybe you need to brush up on your own advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #70
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    re: U.S. Economy Up 3.5% in 3rd Quarter, Capping Best 6 Months in Over a Decade[W:75]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Except I didn't do that. I personally don't think the economy is all that bad. In fact, I thinks its quite good. It is not growing as rapidly as I think it should but the economy overall is quite strong. I give credit for that to the American free market system, not Obama.
    That argument can be applied to all presidents. If that's your point, then we agree.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •