Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 148

Thread: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

  1. #91
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,967

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    This isn't even worth arguing over. Believe what you want. Our paltry lives continue to turn here on planet earth.

    I'm saying I don't believe in the big bang, just deal with it and move on.
    You may as well not believe in sunlight.

  2. #92
    Educator applejuicefool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Gravity formed the earth from the remnants of a supernova of a star which was formed by the debris of the big bang. Sheesh. Don't you people know anything about astrophysics?
    When you look at a wooden chair, do you say "A saw and a hammer made this chair"? or do you say "A carpenter made this chair"?

    -AJF

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The moving golapost version of God perhaps. But, what is commonly perceived to be the definition of God is that dude in the Bible--the Adam and Eve molder, the Noah's Ark big flood maker, the burning bush which handed Moses two clay tablets--that one has been all but proven to not exist.
    That's not my definition of God. To me god is mother nature, laws of physics, first cause or, perhaps, simply that which existed prior to the big bang. There is no need to define it as an old, white bearded man in a white robe. The anthropomorphic definitions of god are simply techniques to help people deal with the mysterious.

  4. #94
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,970

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    You may as well not believe in sunlight.
    Yeah because the two things are remotely similar.

  5. #95
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    OK, well let me know when you find all those pesky transitional fossils, and I'd like a good explanation of where that original set of DNA came from.
    All fossils are transitional fossils. Your great great grandparents are (or at least, will come to be) transitional fossils. So are mine.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  6. #96
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Wrong.

    The Ebola virus, for example, is being fought using the understanding of how it has evolved and how the selection process is effecting it.

    The expected arrival of Bird flue has been predicted because of the understanding of evolution. It has had research done on it before it makes the species jump. We are vastly better prepared for this event because of the amount of understanding we have of the situation which has yet to happen.
    When you body learns to fight a disease that is no evolution, it is adaptation.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,331

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There is a ton of evidence for adaptation and survival of the fittest. That a dog became a horse....no, there is none. Transitional gaps abound everywhere within the evidence.
    There are obviously gaps in the fossil record as we don't have every single individual who is the ancestor of every individual animal, plant, fungus or whatever recorded in the fossil record. So what?

    We do have the record of every single one of the mutations of the DNA sequence that that history has passed down to the surviving individuals.

    A dog did not become a horse. You know that this is not the theory of evolution and saying it is is a deliberate lie.

  8. #98
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Yeah because the two things are remotely similar.
    They might as well be. We know for a fact that everything is moving further apart from each other which tells us that everything started from a single point.

    You want to go ahead and tell us that God did the big bang? Fine, but don't tell us the big bang didn't happen.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,331

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Wrong.

    The Ebola virus, for example, is being fought using the understanding of how it has evolved and how the selection process is effecting it.

    The expected arrival of Bird flue has been predicted because of the understanding of evolution. It has had research done on it before it makes the species jump. We are vastly better prepared for this event because of the amount of understanding we have of the situation which has yet to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    When you body learns to fight a disease that is no evolution, it is adaptation.
    True but what has that got to do with understanding how bird flue will evolve to a human pathogen?

    The solution to ebola will involve a vaccination program. Prayer is not going to help.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,094

    Re: Pope says evolution, Big Bang are real

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    There are obviously gaps in the fossil record as we don't have every single individual who is the ancestor of every individual animal, plant, fungus or whatever recorded in the fossil record. So what?

    We do have the record of every single one of the mutations of the DNA sequence that that history has passed down to the surviving individuals.

    A dog did not become a horse. You know that this is not the theory of evolution and saying it is is a deliberate lie.
    The point is, we don't have record of one species morphing into another species. Saying so is a deliberate lie.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •