Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    No, I'm just laughing at your claims of "defense" when I've posted nothing of the sort.
    Yeah right..... You just like to play games... You like to screw with people because you're bored.

  2. #32
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah right..... You just like to play games... You like to screw with people because you're bored.
    Don't make it so easy next time.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Don't make it so easy next time.
    Don't make it easy next time?

    You do realize how ****ed **** is these days and all you want to do is mess with people like some narcissistic fool living in his moms basement?

    If we have a civil war II I hope you're severely punished and oppressed.

  4. #34
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Don't make it easy next time?

    You do realize how ****ed **** is these days and all you want to do is mess with people like some narcissistic fool living in his moms basement?

    If we have a civil war II I hope you're severely punished and oppressed.
    Mkay.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Mkay.
    **** off....

  6. #36
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    NASA and all of rocket science (at least those that plan launches from the ground) are stupid. They could easily tow a rocket up in a balloon and launch it in the stratosphere....

    Most fuel is wasted defying gravity..... Imagine how much further we could go (or how less expensive) a mission would be if we didn't have to defy gravity.




    I need a bigger laughing emoticon.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Not an empty field. They beat out Kestrel for the ISS launches. There are plenty of other companies out there, including Sea Launch, and Sierra Nevada, and a few others that aren't as far along.

    Orbital has other rockets that are proven and will do the job. Remember, SpaceX blew up its first 3 launches.
    Orbital has been launching since the 1980's, Sierra Nevada and 'Sea Launch' are new companies with Sea Launch basically acting as a proxy company for Zenit rocket launches. For decades you could essentially choose between Orbital and ULA. My contention is that Orbital has had a fairly lousy track record for the past few years and is egregiously expensive and inefficient compared to its competitors at SpaceX and ULA.

    Also Kestrel is just an old SpaceX engine for the Falcon-1, what do you mean Antares 'beat out' Kestrel? SpaceX beat Orbital for the first ISS launch and the rest of the contract.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Just another example of how private industry always gets it done completely, efficiently, cost effectively and profitably whereas government can never do anything right.....


    Nonsense.

    Private industry has been building rockets since the Apollo program.

  9. #39
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,371

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Orbital has been launching since the 1980's, Sierra Nevada and 'Sea Launch' are new companies with Sea Launch basically acting as a proxy company for Zenit rocket launches. For decades you could essentially choose between Orbital and ULA. My contention is that Orbital has had a fairly lousy track record for the past few years and is egregiously expensive and inefficient compared to its competitors at SpaceX and ULA.

    Also Kestrel is just an old SpaceX engine for the Falcon-1, what do you mean Antares 'beat out' Kestrel? SpaceX beat Orbital for the first ISS launch and the rest of the contract.
    My bad, it was Kistler.

    Sea Launch reorganized and it is now completely under Russian/Ukrainian control, they have had some spectacular explosions. Kistler and SpaceX were the first two companies that NASA tasked, but Kistler lost their bid. Great article last week about how SpaceX operates, I don't have the link, but title is: What it took for elon musks spacex to disrupt boeing leapfrog nasa and become a serious space company. Find it and read it, very informative.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #40
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Orbital Sciences rocket explodes moments after launch

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Just another example of how private industry always gets it done completely, efficiently, cost effectively and profitably whereas government can never do anything right.....
    Yeah, because NASA never lost a rocket on takeoff...
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •