Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Simple question: You are the only one there at the seen of the altercation with a camera. Do you stop the attack or film it?



    Nobody needs to see that, sorry. It's just feeding voyeurism. This video in the public realm really doesn't do anything productive other than entertain. It's not going to be a life lesson for someone to think about during their next drunken rage. And labeling it a hate crime won't stop people from hating one another.
    Well, whether or not I film or stop it depends on the circumstances. If other people are jumping in to stop the hate crime, then I continue filming to document it. If there is no one else to stop it, then I probably try to do something myself. Since I'm almost 70 years old and have two artificial hips, a lot would depend on whether I thought I could make a difference.

    And I disagree with you. I do think people need to see that video.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Strange. I would figure that it was pretty much normal behavior for people to protect someone who was getting pushed around for no good reason. I guess I just don't understand why this particular incident has garnered so much attention.
    In fact it's not normal behavior. It should be but it isn't. Ask Kitty Genovese. Except you can't, because she'd dead.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    There is no such thing as a hate crime.
    Gee, thanks for your contribution to the discussion. As with most efforts on this subject from those on the right, it's totally useless and reveals ignorance. Thanks again for confirming it for the rest of us.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #44
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    In fact it's not normal behavior. It should be but it isn't. Ask Kitty Genovese. Except you can't, because she'd dead.
    I have a hard time believing that people will tolerate another person being abused in public. That especially goes for when the asshole is obviously drunk.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Well, there's a name for this particular failing. It's called 'The Genovese Syndrome'.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #46
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,708

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Well, there's a name for this particular failing. It's called 'The Genovese Syndrome'.
    I think you'll notice that the guy in the cowboy hat intercedes verbally pretty much right away. Several people interceded physically after the drunk kicked the guy. That seems pretty normal to me. As a general rule you have no good reason to intervene physically when the offender is merely being vocal.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    For purposes of context, the Texas Department of Public Safety states:

    The Texas Hate Crimes Act, Chapter 411.046 of the Texas Government Code, defines hate crimes as crimes that are motivated by prejudice, hatred, or advocacy of violence including, but not limited to, incidents for which statistics are or were kept under Public Law 101275 (the Federal Hate Crimes Statistics Act). The federal law further defines hate crimes as crimes that manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and added in 1997, disability.

    Violation against selected groups within Texas has been recognized as a threat to the safety of Texans.


    Under this definition, a hate crime may be committed against a member of a minority group or a member of a majority group.

    For more information (2013 report): http://www.dps.texas.gov/crimereports/13/citch6.pdf (p.2 provides a summary breakdown).

  8. #48
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Sure is a lot of hate in this hate crime thread!

    You guys are really talented at arguing things I never said. You believe that a guy who murders someone for their wallet should get out of prison before a guy who murders a guy because he's a member of a protected group. I get it! But restating it doesn't make it right!

    Here is my point in a nutshell: If aggravated assault carries a 1 year prison sentence and an aggravated assault plus a hate crime tacks on another 1 year then I am advocating a 2 year sentence for both aggravated assault perpetrators rather than 1 year for one and 2 years for another.
    Yes, I believe that certain crimes should carry longer sentences. Crimes against law enforcement, hate crimes, crimes against children. You don't. You have a right to your opinion.
    ________________________________

  9. #49
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Do you think the number of cameras filming were fueling the guy's tough act? Do you think it would have escalated if the 15 people with cameras instead surrounded the guy and tried to calm him down?
    Two men had already tried to diffuse the situation and calm him down. And one was much bigger than he was. It had no effect. This guy was smiling when he was being handcuffed. He was beyond self control.
    ________________________________

  10. #50
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: A Hate Crime at a Dallas Airport, caught on camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I have a hard time believing that people will tolerate another person being abused in public. That especially goes for when the asshole is obviously drunk.
    Me, too. But I've seen it before. A girl being raped while being videotaped by onlookers, until finally one guy and his gf, I think it was, comes upon the situation and puts a stop to it. But that wasn't Texas.
    ________________________________

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •