Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 538

Thread: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysvi[W:480]

  1. #491
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    oh really-tell me where federal gun control was enacted prior to FDR
    Towns didn't permit firearms in town for example.

    By the 1880s many in the west were fed up with gun violence. Gun control, they contended, was absolutely essential, and the remedy advocated usually was usually no less than a total ban on pistol-packing.

    Gun control in the Old West

    When you entered a frontier town, you were legally required to leave your guns at the stables on the outskirts of town or drop them off with the sheriff, who would give you a token in exchange.

    Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?*|*Adam Winkler

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #492
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Towns didn't permit firearms in town for example.

    By the 1880s many in the west were fed up with gun violence. Gun control, they contended, was absolutely essential, and the remedy advocated usually was usually no less than a total ban on pistol-packing.

    Gun control in the Old West

    When you entered a frontier town, you were legally required to leave your guns at the stables on the outskirts of town or drop them off with the sheriff, who would give you a token in exchange.

    Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?*|*Adam Winkler
    why do anti gun posts have such a difficult time understanding the difference between federal action (which until McDonald, was the only action the 2A prohibited) and state action which was only limited by the state's own constitution?



  3. #493
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why do anti gun posts have such a difficult time understanding the difference between federal action (which until McDonald, was the only action the 2A prohibited) and state action which was only limited by the state's own constitution?
    I understand it completely but find it a distinction without a difference. The fact is it was still regulated and the courts have upheld regulation. Again and again. When will you understand you've lost that one?

    Oh, BTW, the fact that FDR addressed a real problem with the shootings of the 20's doesn't invalidate his actions. It's the kind of things leaders do. Addressing a problem is less pandering than pretending it didn't exist.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #494
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I understand it completely but find it a distinction without a difference. The fact is it was still regulated and the courts have upheld regulation. Again and again. When will you understand you've lost that one?

    Oh, BTW, the fact that FDR addressed a real problem with the shootings of the 20's doesn't invalidate his actions. It's the kind of things leaders do. Addressing a problem is less pandering than pretending it didn't exist.
    sorry but if you don't understand the concept of federalism and the entire foundation upon which the founders created a federal government of specific and limited powers, you cannot really be in a position to really discuss the second amendment.

    FDR did not have the proper power to "address that problem" TO those of us who actually respect the limits placed on the federal government, his actions are bogus

    to those who think the government has any power it wants as long as it does what they want, the analysis will be different. The states had the proper power to actually deal with armed bootleggers. It was already illegal to murder people with any sort of gun



  5. #495
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, not a lie. And something doesn't have to be direct. There are indirect powers as well. If you want I'll link something to explain that.
    I will read your evidence. Please show me, from the debates on the Constitution, that the framers intended to replace one monarchical tyrant with others of their choosing.

  6. #496
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    sorry but if you don't understand the concept of federalism and the entire foundation upon which the founders created a federal government of specific and limited powers, you cannot really be in a position to really discuss the second amendment.

    FDR did not have the proper power to "address that problem" TO those of us who actually respect the limits placed on the federal government, his actions are bogus

    to those who think the government has any power it wants as long as it does what they want, the analysis will be different. The states had the proper power to actually deal with armed bootleggers. It was already illegal to murder people with any sort of gun
    I understand it, but if your issue is freedom to own guns, you logically would be upset no matter who banned them. You would not argue that guns can't be banned, that it's a protected right. If you acknowledge states can ban them, then get ready for states banning them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #497
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    I will read your evidence. Please show me, from the debates on the Constitution, that the framers intended to replace one monarchical tyrant with others of their choosing.
    In argument circles, that would be called a strawman argument. Show me where I said anything about having a tyrant at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #498
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I understand it, but if your issue is freedom to own guns, you logically would be upset no matter who banned them. You would not argue that guns can't be banned, that it's a protected right. If you acknowledge states can ban them, then get ready for states banning them.
    actually again you are wrong. if a state bans guns, we free citizens can move to one that does not. Its why I moved out of the City of Cincinnati when they passed stupid gun ordinances that harassed gun owners. federal harassments are essentially unconstitutional



  9. #499
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    actually again you are wrong. if a state bans guns, we free citizens can move to one that does not. Its why I moved out of the City of Cincinnati when they passed stupid gun ordinances that harassed gun owners. federal harassments are essentially unconstitutional
    Well, you could move to Canada as well, so no not so much. And it is even possible every state could ban them. Then what? No, I don't buy it. Either you believe in the right or you don't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #500
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Breaking: Investigators are responding to reported school shooting in Marysville,

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, you could move to Canada as well, so no not so much. And it is even possible every state could ban them. Then what? No, I don't buy it. Either you believe in the right or you don't.
    I deal with reality.

    I believe in the constitution. and most states could not ban guns due to their own constitutions.



Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •