Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 271 to 280 of 280

Thread: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,855

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadvirus View Post
    That dimwit in NYC did.

    "I'm sick. I think i'll take the subway and go bowling!"
    No, he actually didn't. He wasn't running a fever and so his risk of infecting others at that point was zero.

  2. #272
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,546

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    No, he actually didn't. He wasn't running a fever and so his risk of infecting others at that point was zero.
    Did he or did he not violate self quarantine?

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,855

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by PIPEWRENCH View Post
    Did he or did he not violate self quarantine?
    I wasn't aware he was under any quarantine, self or otherwise. He's not a risk to anyone until he develops a fever. No need for a quarantine. He did check his temperature regularly and as soon as one developed, checked himself in for treatment, as planned. Hundreds have returned back from Ebola country in the same way - self monitored.

  4. #274
    Guru
    PIPEWRENCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,546

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I wasn't aware he was under any quarantine, self or otherwise. He's not a risk to anyone until he develops a fever. No need for a quarantine. He did check his temperature regularly and as soon as one developed, checked himself in for treatment, as planned. Hundreds have returned back from Ebola country in the same way - self monitored.
    There is the problem. A cocky attitude when playing with fire and everyone ends up burnt.

    People who have been exposed to this disease should be quarantined either before leaving that country or at a facility here in this country. A short quarantine to protect the people of this country from death and/or needless suffering is not too much to ask. Too many people have already been put in harms way. Just because we got away with it this time does not mean we will continue to be so lucky. Who is to say when or where this disease may mutate. This disease at any time can become airborne or jump to an animal such as a rat that we have no possible means of quarantine. It may already be spreading or mutating. Nobody, not you, me, or all the experts in the world can guarantee it hasn't. One thing for sure is the more exposure this virus gets to different animals, people, and environments the more likely it is going to happen. We are playing a dangerous game with a very deadly disease. Intelligent people know we don't have all the answers and we don't have this disease under control. If we did people would not be dying in Africa. The common cold has proven how helpless we are against a virus. One thing for sure bringing this disease to our country and exposing the people unnecessarily is stupid plain and simple.
    Last edited by PIPEWRENCH; 10-28-14 at 10:14 PM.

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,855

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by PIPEWRENCH View Post
    There is the problem. A cocky attitude when playing with fire and everyone ends up burnt.

    People who have been exposed to this disease should be quarantined either before leaving that country or at a facility here in this country. A short quarantine to protect the people of this country from death and/or needless suffering is not too much to ask. Too many people have already been put in harms way. Just because we got away with it this time does not mean we will continue to be so lucky. Who is to say when or where this disease may mutate. This disease at any time can become airborne or jump to an animal such as a rat that we have no possible means of quarantine. It may already be spreading or mutating. Nobody, not you, me, or all the experts in the world can guarantee it hasn't. One thing for sure is the more exposure this virus gets to different animals, people, and environments the more likely it is going to happen. We are playing a dangerous game with a very deadly disease. Intelligent people know we don't have all the answers and we don't have this disease under control. If we did people would not be dying in Africa. The common cold has proven how helpless we are against a virus. One thing for sure bringing this disease to our country and exposing the people unnecessarily is stupid plain and simple.
    It's been around for decades and hasn't gone airborne yet. Fact is, if it mutated to change the way it is transmitted, it might become less deadly or mostly benign. In the meantime, all kinds of diseases COULD become deadly overnight (e.g. the flu), HIV COULD become airborne, etc. but public policy treats them as they are, now what our worst fears imagine they might be.

  6. #276
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It's been around for decades and hasn't gone airborne yet. Fact is, if it mutated to change the way it is transmitted, it might become less deadly or mostly benign. In the meantime, all kinds of diseases COULD become deadly overnight (e.g. the flu), HIV COULD become airborne, etc. but public policy treats them as they are, now what our worst fears imagine they might be.
    So, if a person is being tested for HIV but results haven't come back yet, and he has been in known contact sexually with known HIV positive people, he should go out and have as much sex as possible right?

    See how dumb that sounds?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #277
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,855

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, if a person is being tested for HIV but results haven't come back yet, and he has been in known contact sexually with known HIV positive people, he should go out and have as much sex as possible right?

    See how dumb that sounds?
    Sure, because your example is terrible. No one is telling the doctor to go out and have sex with random members of the public or even his girlfriend or spouse or whatever. And the fact is, the doctor posed no risk to the public until he started running a fever. He took his temp regularly, and when it got over 100.4 or whatever, called and checked himself into treatment. It's the same procedure hundreds of others returning from that region have followed, and it's worked.

  8. #278
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Sure, because your example is terrible. No one is telling the doctor to go out and have sex with random members of the public or even his girlfriend or spouse or whatever.
    OMG, you can not be that obtuse....You brought up HIV as an analogy, and the way HIV is spread is through direct blood, or sexual fluid contact. With Ebola, we are still finding out things about its transmission, for example how it can survive for up to 70 days in seminal fluid...But you know damned well I wasn't saying that he was told to go out and have sex...

    And the fact is, the doctor posed no risk to the public until he started running a fever.
    That is what we are being told right now.....Until that changes.

    He took his temp regularly, and when it got over 100.4 or whatever, called and checked himself into treatment.
    Why would a person sworn to "do no harm" take the chance?

    It's the same procedure hundreds of others returning from that region have followed, and it's worked.
    Way too early to call.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,855

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    OMG, you can not be that obtuse....You brought up HIV as an analogy, and the way HIV is spread is through direct blood, or sexual fluid contact. With Ebola, we are still finding out things about its transmission, for example how it can survive for up to 70 days in seminal fluid...But you know damned well I wasn't saying that he was told to go out and have sex...
    As I said, your example was terrible. HIV is transmitted through sex, or blood, and your example was of a possibly HIV person having sex, one way HIV is known to travel. The point is no one supports the doctor bleeding on others, vomiting on others, or spreading his feces around in public, which is how Ebola spreads. And what we know is Ebola isn't airborne, and is spread through contact with bodily fluids, and the risk until someone develops a fever is zero.

    That is what we are being told right now.....Until that changes.
    What we are being told is based on decades of experience with the disease.

    Why would a person sworn to "do no harm" take the chance?
    Because he was doing no harm. And he's a provider who has a learned, first hand grasp of Ebola and how it spreads, and bases his decisions on the science and not irrational fears.

    Way too early to call.
    Fact is providers and other volunteers have been traveling to Ebola regions, treating patients, and returning home by the thousands around the globe. I've looked and can find NO instances of them infecting their home population outside of a healthcare setting. That's compelling evidence, and on the other side is baseless fears and speculation.

  10. #280
    Student Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    σκότος και φωτός
    Last Seen
    06-23-15 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    162

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •