Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 280

Thread: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]

  1. #101
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Doctor rushed to Bellevue Hospital with Ebola symptoms went bowling a day earlier

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Kobie, you know nothing about medicine, and pay no price for being wrong.

    Now, why do you think that dems are now saying they want to close entry from outbreak nations?

    The doctor does, and a lot more about Ebola in particular. Kobie is on the correct side of the argument here, not the headless chicken littles.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #102
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    This guy is a Doctor.....an yet as a Doctor he shows us how even Doctors can be fools. This mope knew he was working with Ebola Patients. For 8 months he was in Guinea. He should have isolated himself Right off the top coming from the Infected Country.

    Not only was he out bowling.....but he took the subway, then went out to the park.

    Was also out jogging.....which he said he was feeling down then.
    Until he spiked a temp he was not infectious. Fact.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    This guy is a Doctor.....an yet as a Doctor he shows us how even Doctors can be fools. This mope knew he was working with Ebola Patients. For 8 months he was in Guinea. He should have isolated himself Right off the top coming from the Infected Country.

    Not only was he out bowling.....but he took the subway, then went out to the park.

    Was also out jogging.....which he said he was feeling down then.
    Personally, if it were me, I would have self-quarantined for the full 21 days after my having returned out of an abundance of caution. I do think that once he began feeling sluggish, he should have restricted his contact with the public. At that point, there was a probability that he could become symptomatic e.g., sudden onset of fever, so there was a chance that it could have happened when he was in contact with the public.

    Fortunately, Ebola is not an airborne virus. So far, there are no reports that he was symptomatic while in the public.

    Also, NYC has a number of amazing world-class hospitals. I have great confidence that the doctor's case (and any others that might occur in the greater NYC area e.g., from people who returned from Ebola-stricken areas) will be handled with the attention to detail and competence necessary to minimize the risk of its spreading to the health care workers who treat him (and any other future ebola patients). Of course, there's always some small probability of their being infected, but I think it is probably as low as it could be given present knowledge and protection.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    If we keep letting people back into the US from West Africa without testing/quarantining them first - it's gonna happen and will continue to happen. The problem is at some point it will start spreading here - so the standard question of "Have you recently visited Western Africa" won't work. People will come in with 103 degree temps and will be sent home again because it's going to be flu season. Then Ebola really starts to spread here in the US.


    Mornin' Ockham. Now there is an International Study challenging the 21 day incubation period.....and I would have to agree with them.



    21-day isolation for patients with Ebola may not be enough: study.....

    An international study has questioned the incubation period of 21 days for the ebola virus disease (EVD), fixed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), United States. The study, published on Tuesday in Plos Current, a medical journal dedicated to infectious diseases outbreak, suggests that 21 days may not be enough to completely prevent the spread of the virus. Experts say there is a fair chance someone could be infected even after the 21-day quarantine.

    Dr Charles Hass, the author of the study, said there could be up to a 12 % chance of a person being infected even after the 21-day quarantine.

    “The study raises a very critical concern about the disease and its subsequent management. A lot still remains unknown about Ebola. As far as 21 days of incubation is concerned, it applies to only a certain set of bodily fluids,” said Dr Om Srivastava, infectious disease expert at Jaslok Hospital......snip~

    http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...1-1276214.aspx

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Personally, if it were me, I would have self-quarantined for the full 21 days after my having returned out of an abundance of caution. I do think that once he began feeling sluggish, he should have restricted his contact with the public. At that point, there was a probability that he could become symptomatic e.g., sudden onset of fever, so there was a chance that it could have happened when he was in contact with the public.

    Fortunately, Ebola is not an airborne virus. So far, there are no reports that he was symptomatic while in the public.

    Also, NYC has a number of amazing world-class hospitals. I have great confidence that the doctor's case (and any others that might occur in the greater NYC area e.g., from people who returned from Ebola-stricken areas) will be handled with the attention to detail and competence necessary to minimize the risk of its spreading to the health care workers who treat him (and any other future ebola patients). Of course, there's always some small probability of their being infected, but I think it is probably as low as it could be given present knowledge and protection.

    Mornin DS. I don't know.....what do you think these doctors are saying?


    Dr Brosseau is a Professor and Dr Jones an Assistant Professor in the School of Public Health, Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

    We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks.

    We strongly urge the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to seek funds for the purchase and transport of PAPRs to all healthcare workers currently fighting the battle against Ebola throughout Africa—and beyond.....snip~


    PAPR.

    COMMENTARY: Health workers need optimal respiratory protection for Ebola | CIDRAP

  6. #106
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,217

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Personally, if it were me, I would have self-quarantined for the full 21 days after my having returned out of an abundance of caution. I do think that once he began feeling sluggish, he should have restricted his contact with the public. At that point, there was a probability that he could become symptomatic e.g., sudden onset of fever, so there was a chance that it could have happened when he was in contact with the public.

    Fortunately, Ebola is not an airborne virus. So far, there are no reports that he was symptomatic while in the public.

    Also, NYC has a number of amazing world-class hospitals. I have great confidence that the doctor's case (and any others that might occur in the greater NYC area e.g., from people who returned from Ebola-stricken areas) will be handled with the attention to detail and competence necessary to minimize the risk of its spreading to the health care workers who treat him (and any other future ebola patients). Of course, there's always some small probability of their being infected, but I think it is probably as low as it could be given present knowledge and protection.
    Doctors and to a greater extent, nurses deal daily with highly infectious and/or deadly illnesses. Then they shower and go home to family and friends. He wasn't irresponsible, and until he was symptomatic there was no need for isolation. He checked himself twice a day, and as soon as he spiked a temp, he did exactly what he should.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Until he spiked a temp he was not infectious. Fact.
    Fact.....they don't know all there is to know.

    Which still doesn't explain why this Doctor would lose all common sense and go out into a public place. Just coming from an Infected Country.

  8. #108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin DS. I don't know.....what do you think these doctors are saying?


    Dr Brosseau is a Professor and Dr Jones an Assistant Professor in the School of Public Health, Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

    We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks.

    We strongly urge the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) to seek funds for the purchase and transport of PAPRs to all healthcare workers currently fighting the battle against Ebola throughout Africa—and beyond.....snip~


    PAPR.

    COMMENTARY: Health workers need optimal respiratory protection for Ebola | CIDRAP
    They may be talking about a small and/or theoretical risk. As a matter of principle, I favor giving health care workers the maximum protection possible. If Congress would need to appropriate funds to help make this possible, I would have no objections.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Doctor rushed to Bellevue Hospital with Ebola symptoms went bowling a day earlier

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    One can't spread it when one isn't symptomatic.
    Wrong DS.....one can even spread it when Cured.

    Sperm can contain the virus for a period of three to six months even after a person has been cured of EVD. The 21-day quarantine period remains ambiguous and we need more research to conclusively establish its basis,” added Dr Srivastava......snip~

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC

    Moderator's Warning:
    Doctor being tested for Ebola in NYC [W:110]The Conspiracy Theory Forum is down the forum a bit; I suggest those trying to derail this thread with talk of "purges" and a secret plan by the elite to wipe out the population take this conversation there willingly or else they'll find themselves forcefully removed from the thread and staring at some points

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •