Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 334

Thread: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say how

  1. #161
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Are you unable to check out the history yourself? Perhaps you should have done so before offering your fact-free opinion.
    Well in spite of your unwarranted pissy answer, I did research it and found pretty much what I expected to find, which is that some people say she is, records are incomplete, and we'll never know. Warren grew up being told she was part Cherokee. Shrug.

    According to Warren and her brothers, they grew up "listening to our mother and grandmother and other relatives talk about our family’s Cherokee and Delaware heritage".[61][62][63][64] The New England Historical Genealogical Society found no documentary proof of Warren having Native American lineage,[62][65] but a spokesperson from the Oklahoma Historical Society said "finding a definitive answer about Native American heritage can be difficult, not only because of intermarriage, but also because some Native Americans opted not to be put on federal rolls, while others who were not Native American did put their names on rolls to get access to land."[66
    It's pretty much the same sort of uncertainty a lot of us have when told such and such is part of our bloodline, but records are iffy.

    Certainly it's the scandal of the millenium.

    Elizabeth Warren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    For ****s sake grant. Back up the **** you say for a change rather than front garbage and expecting everyone else to run around looking for it. You said it. Prove it. It's very basic standard debating skills.
    You are obviously completely unfamiliar with the history and it shows, and in fact you were the first to make that ridiculous claim. It's up to you to prove it.

    I'll not waste my time with people who guess at history.

  3. #163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,807

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Its amazing someone who went to a third rate law school got a harvard law professorship. Harvard is so "exclusive" that normally unless you have a JD from harvard, Yale or Stanford, you aren't getting a job there even if you were top of your class at say NYU or Cornell or Penn. (all top drawer world class law schools) She went to a school not in the top 50
    I assume by 'amazing' you mean impressive, and not 'obviously succeeded because of affirmative action.' Her record is one of decades of success in her profession. Like her or not, she's an accomplished woman.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    OK, a very serious "lie" which was repeating family lore. Why should anyone care about that?
    It was a lie, that's all. Whether lies are 'serious' or not depends a lot on what we expect from our politicians.

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I assume by 'amazing' you mean impressive, and not 'obviously succeeded because of affirmative action.' Her record is one of decades of success in her profession. Like her or not, she's an accomplished woman.
    not at all. looked like an affirmative action hire to me



  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well in spite of your unwarranted pissy answer, I did research it and found pretty much what I expected to find, which is that some people say she is, records are incomplete, and we'll never know. Warren grew up being told she was part Cherokee. Shrug.
    I said that regarding Anita Hill.
    It's pretty much the same sort of uncertainty a lot of us have when told such and such is part of our bloodline, but records are iffy.
    If it's 'iffy', don't make the claim.
    Certainly it's the scandal of the millenium.
    If you say so.

  7. #167
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,807

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    wow... and right wing women are attacking her for saying that. Amazing.
    Yep, note that none of them criticizing her actually quote her and address what she actually said - it's all projection/straw men. I've been laughing all day...

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,343

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    not at all. looked like an affirmative action hire to me
    Her 2nd husband was/is a law professor at Harvard.

    Got the job because of her husband, affirmative action, or a little of both? Possibly.

    I do think, however, that she has paid her dues as a teacher. Her choice of schools had to do with her husband being employed in Houston. She has taught in various schools until working her way into a Harvard professorship. Starting as a part timer.

    Still, I can't get past the little lie told on the campaign trail concerning her heritage. Then floating another unsubstantiated claim seems suspicious.

    Basically, shut up or back it up.

  9. #169
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,807

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    not at all. looked like an affirmative action hire to me
    Your partisanship is showing... From her CV: (current law school ranking in brackets)

    [#7]The University of Pennsylvania Law School. 1990-1995: William A Schnader Professor of Commercial Law; 1987-1990: Professor of Law

    [#15]The University of Texas School of Law. 1986-87: Jay H. Brown Centennial Fellow in Law; 1983-1987: Professor of Law. 1985-86: Conoco Faculty Fellow in Law; 1981-82: Visiting Associate Professor of Law

    The University of Texas at Austin. 1983-87: Research Associate, Population Research Center

    The University of Houston Law Center. 1981-83: Associate Professor of Law; 1978-80: Assistant Professor of Law; 1980-81: Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

    [#10] The University of Michigan. 1985: Visiting Professor of Law

    Rutgers School of Law (Newark). 1977-78: Lecturer in Law
    Rest is http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/e...V%20062508.pdf

    You'll not the productive scholarship and outside accomplishments continued after she joined Harvard. Not the mark of an affirmative action hire... Looks like an exceedingly accomplished woman.

    The only sign I see of an affirmative action hire is maybe she's a woman so obviously needed help along the way?
    Last edited by JasperL; 10-24-14 at 01:32 AM.

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,807

    Re: Elizabeth Warren says she's been treated differently in the Senate but won't say

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Her 2nd husband was/is a law professor at Harvard.

    Got the job because of her husband, affirmative action, or a little of both? Possibly.
    Or got job based on her record at two outstanding law schools, and productive scholarship all along the way. Possibly....

    I do think, however, that she has paid her dues as a teacher. Her choice of schools had to do with her husband being employed in Houston. She has taught in various schools until working her way into a Harvard professorship. Starting as a part timer.
    I do agree with that!

    Still, I can't get past the little lie told on the campaign trail concerning her heritage. Then floating another unsubstantiated claim seems suspicious.

    Basically, shut up or back it up.
    Yes, she answered a direct question - have you been treated differently because you're a woman - "Yes." Suspicious!

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •