Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 294

Thread: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

  1. #261
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How was that a false statement? Becaise you say so? I don't think so.
    Then back it up and show your source that it's true. I already posted proof that it's not.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  2. #262
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Then back it up and show your source that it's true. I already posted proof that it's not.
    My source? Are you saying that media news outlets don't use the U-3 in favor over the U-6 numbers? Really? Don't be silly now....

    I will give you a pretty good article on it...

    "First, when the latest jobs report was released on Friday morning. It was generally heralded as a good report — for good reason. According to initial Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates, the U.S. gained nearly 200,000 jobs in June, and another 70,000 jobs appear to have been discovered in April and May. As a result, the nation’s official unemployment rate held steady at 7.6%; not great, but miles better than the 10% unemployment rate that the U.S. flirted with between 2009 and 2010.

    But the “official” unemployment rate doesn’t count men and women like G. — discouraged workers who have settled for part-time jobs or have given up looking altogether. Tracking those individuals, under what’s called the “U-6″ rate, gives a very different measure of the nation’s unemployment rate: 14.3%.

    And unlike other jobs figures, the U-6 rate actually got worse in June — it went up by 0.5 percentage points.

    There’s a strong argument that given the Great Recession’s damage to the economy, and because millions of Americans like G. have simply given up their job search, the U-6 rate is a more accurate reflection of national employment. Like the “official” rate, the U-6 essentially doubled between 2007 and 2009; unlike the official rate, it’s not coming down as fast.

    But most news organizations don’t cover the U-6 rate, and many economists don’t focus on it. (Donald Marron of the Brookings Institution was among the few economists who regularly monitored it through the recession and the recovery; when we spoke last year, Marron told me that the U-6 offered a broader look at where the nation stood.)


    June 2013 unemployment trends. Source: Ritchie King, qz.com.

    One reason that the U-6 rate remains so high is because it’s so hard to get back into the workforce once you’ve been out for months — whether perception or reality, many employers see these would-be workers as damaged goods."

    Why The 'Real' Unemployment Rate Is Higher Than You Think - Forbes
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #263
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    My source? Are you saying that media news outlets don't use the U-3 in favor over the U-6 numbers?
    No, I am not saying that. I am saying that the statement "The U-3 is what is commonly used to report figures to the people, and that uses data of monthly benefit claims." is false because the bolded part is untrue. But nice try at diversion.

    You see if one part of a statement is false, then the statement as a whole is false (unless there's an "or".)

    So, what is your source that the U-3 uses data of monthly benefit claims? Oh, you don't have one.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #264
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,971

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, you didn't.
    Yes, I did. I showed how ptif's comment was false and I showed how pinqy got his statement from the BLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Problem with Statistics is that they can be manipulated


    I always love how when people are proven wrong they just claim the facts are lies. It's always good stuff.

  5. #265
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    No, I am not saying that. I am saying that the statement "The U-3 is what is commonly used to report figures to the people, and that uses data of monthly benefit claims." is false because the bolded part is untrue. But nice try at diversion.

    You see if one part of a statement is false, then the statement as a whole is false (unless there's an "or".)

    So, what is your source that the U-3 uses data of monthly benefit claims? Oh, you don't have one.
    Oh for Christ sake....So sorry, I didn't know that semantics was what you were going to hang your hat on Mr. Expert....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #266
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes, I did. I showed how ptif's comment was false and I showed how pinqy got his statement from the BLS.


    I always love how when people are proven wrong they just claim the facts are lies. It's always good stuff.
    And I love how progressives love to exploit any situation to be smug, and arrogant....Also how progressives won't admit that they are progressives....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #267
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,971

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And I love how progressives love to exploit any situation to be smug, and arrogant
    I'm sorry, is that you admitting I had already proven it? It's about time you finally admit you were wrong.

    ....Also how progressives won't admit that they are progressives....
    I think it's funny you think caring about facts and truth makes one a progressive. There's nothing "progressive" at all about simply discussing numbers. All I've done is show you one poster was making factually inaccurate statements and another was correcting him. The fact you think being correct and using facts makes someone a progressive is quite telling.

    What I find sad is how incapable some people are at thinking of anything more complex than "us vs. them". You seem to think that, because I am supporting someone who is posting facts you don't like, I must be in opposition to you and, thus, have to be one of the "evil" progressives. The idea that someone could just simply care about truth, and the fact you're on the wrong side of it, never occurs to you.
    Last edited by Slyfox696; 11-03-14 at 03:09 PM.

  8. #268
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh for Christ sake....So sorry, I didn't know that semantics was what you were going to hang your hat on Mr. Expert....
    Semantics? No, it's just a false statement. No use of semantics is needed for that. Of course you never acknowledged you were wrong in that statement
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  9. #269
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'm sorry, is that you admitting I had already proven it? It's about time you finally admit you were wrong.
    I may have been wrong, or at least un inclusive in my statement about U-3, when it should have included survey numbers as well, but in general, the numbers reported are manipulated, and have been for a long time through republican, and democrat administrations. I stand by that.

    I think it's funny you think caring about facts and truth makes one a progressive. There's nothing "progressive" at all about simply discussing numbers. All I've done is show you one poster was making factually inaccurate statements and another was correcting him. The fact you think being correct and using facts makes someone a progressive is quite telling.

    What I find sad is how incapable some people are at thinking of anything more complex than "us vs. them". You seem to think that, because I am supporting someone who is posting facts you don't like, I must be in opposition to you and, thus, have to be one of the "evil" progressives. The idea that someone could just simply care about truth, and the fact you're on the wrong side of it, never occurs to you.
    See, there's that arrogance I spoke of...That's not what I said and you know it, but just couldn't resist the inclination to blather on in your usual insulting arrogant spew...What never occurs to you is how you come off to people...I can tell you, based on what I've read of your postings, you're probably not someone I'd enjoy being around...Now, does that make you a progressive? No....Being a progressive makes you a progressive, and you display all of the earmarks of the usual....Nothing special.

    But, continue with the facade if it makes you happy....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #270
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: AP-GfK Poll: Most expect GOP victory in November

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Semantics? No, it's just a false statement. No use of semantics is needed for that. Of course you never acknowledged you were wrong in that statement
    Ok, like I just said to Sly...I should have included survey numbers in my statement...But that doesn't make the jist of what I was saying wrong...Hell, are you really saying that UE is really less than 7% right now?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •