Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 573

Thread: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

  1. #401
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,293

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh.

    Good point. Of course, we can't pay for increased spending by cutting taxes.
    We can if we take all the money you earn over 30K....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #402
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,293

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yep - and that simplified tax code would have lower marginal rates in order to generate the same amount of revenue.
    Absolutely, but don't count on the whiners of fairness to give in to the premise that I should be able to keep more of what I earn.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #403
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Not nearly as much more than a straight forward and simplified tax code that lacks "loopholes" (deductions, credits and exclusions) would to make the taxation of income from all sources a basic, much harder to avoid, reality. The reason that our current, massively complex, tax code has these "loopholes" is to allow our congress critters to trade them for campaign cash. We have an entire industry built around playing the "loophole" game to help (mostly rich?) folks hide their income.
    I agree with most of that as well. Solyndra is a household name because of (as I recall) about $500 million in direct subsidies. Internal Revenue Code doles out about $1.1 TRILLION annually in subsidies. They're just indirect, so no one pays any attention to them.

    The biggest loophole is the preferential tax treatment for capital gains. If we eliminate that, we put thousands of lawyers and accountants out of business whose job is to convert 'ordinary' income like our wages to capital gains taxed at far lower rates. It's been estimated half the complexity in the current Code is to deal with just that one issue - what is a "capital gain?"

  4. #404
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, I don't have the time this morning to re hash, and re post ALL of the evidence of this that has been discussed on this forum since the day I joined and before...I am sure they are all in the archives, go look them up, that is if you are truly interested in objective analysis...I don't that that is the case, but if you are then you will use the search function on this forum to educate yourself before further partisan talking point blather.
    OK, maybe someone else will show me the evidence that has been hidden from even conservative economists who support tax cuts, and smaller government, but don't believe that tax cuts are self financing.

  5. #405
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,619

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Absolutely, but don't count on the whiners of fairness to give in to the premise that I should be able to keep more of what I earn.
    They are not the problem since taxation does not even cover spending now; the major resistance to tax simplification is from those taking advantage of the loopholes; those now getting a reduced tax bill, those paid to find the loopholes and those getting campaign cash to create/protect the loopholes.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #406
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,619

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I agree with most of that as well. Solyndra is a household name because of (as I recall) about $500 million in direct subsidies. Internal Revenue Code doles out about $1.1 TRILLION annually in subsidies. They're just indirect, so no one pays any attention to them.

    The biggest loophole is the preferential tax treatment for capital gains. If we eliminate that, we put thousands of lawyers and accountants out of business whose job is to convert 'ordinary' income like our wages to capital gains taxed at far lower rates. It's been estimated half the complexity in the current Code is to deal with just that one issue - what is a "capital gain?"
    Many "capital gains" are not gains at all. merely the change (mostly due to inflation) in the fair market value of an asset. If I buy an asset (at fair market price) for say $100K and later sell that same asset (at fair market price) for say $110K I still have only enough money to buy that same asset (at fair market price) not enough to buy it and have $10K left as "income". The fact that an asset's fair market value has changed (between the buying and selling times) should not be seen as income at all. I will agree, however, that taxation of interest and dividend income should be at the same rate as "earned" income.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #407
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Many "capital gains" are not gains at all. merely the change (mostly due to inflation) in the fair market value of an asset. If I buy an asset (at fair market price) for say $100K and later sell that same asset (at fair market price) for say $110K I still have only enough money to buy that same asset (at fair market price) not enough to buy it and have $10K left as "income". The fact that an asset's fair market value has changed (between the buying and selling times) should not be seen as income at all. I will agree, however, that taxation of interest and dividend income should be at the same rate as "earned" income.
    That's true, but not sufficient for the kind of break capital gains get. It might be an argument for reducing capital gains by some measure of inflation per year held. Currently, that would reduce your gain from 10k to maybe 8k if you held for one year, and then tax that at ordinary rates.

    But interest income is payments for inflation, plus a risk premium, but interest income is ALL taxed as ordinary income. A business owner with profits can pay dividends, taxed at ordinary rates for most of history, or retain profits and increase the value of his company. Same with a business owner and salary. That increase in selling price due to retained profits (not paid as dividends or salary) is taxed at lower capital gains rates. Rents increase due to inflation, but we don't get a tax break on rental income. Etc.

  8. #408
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I've used it, cited all kinds of data, to support my basic embrace of math and evidence, which tells us tax cuts don't pay for themselves.

    And Cheney agreed with you about tax cuts not needing to be paid for. "You know, Paul, Reagan proved deficits don't matter. We won the midterms, this [more tax cuts] is our due."
    Absolutely amazing, what is it about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty. Please tell me what accounting teacher ever told you that keeping more of what you earn is an expense to any entity? You claim to be an expert on taxes? Wow, this is stunning.

    As for Cheney, since when did you ever listen or believe anything he says or said? Deficits don't matter as long as you get something for those deficits, Reagan got 17 million jobs, doubling of GDP, 60% growth in FIT, and a peace dividend. Not bad for 1.7 trillion dollars!!!

    Obama has added over 7 TRILLION and what have we gotten for it?

  9. #409
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, I don't have the time this morning to re hash, and re post ALL of the evidence of this that has been discussed on this forum since the day I joined and before...I am sure they are all in the archives, go look them up, that is if you are truly interested in objective analysis...I don't that that is the case, but if you are then you will use the search function on this forum to educate yourself before further partisan talking point blather.
    No he isn't interested in objective analysis because it is easier to buy what you are told rather than do the research. What most liberals don't understand is that Income taxes have only been cut three times in modern history, JFK, Reagan, and GW Bush and every time the Treasury reports more revenue to the Treasury in that important category. Many don't understand the concept of economic activity and how it boosts govt. revenue including Income tax revenue. The numbers are there for all to see, I just get tired of posting them only to be ignored.

  10. #410
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,815

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Absolutely amazing, what is it about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty. Please tell me what accounting teacher ever told you that keeping more of what you earn is an expense to any entity? You claim to be an expert on taxes? Wow, this is stunning.
    It's not an expense, it's a drop in revenue, which my accounting teachers and common sense tells me must be offset with spending cuts for most entities, else they run deficits/losses. And as it happens, whether we debit expenses (increasing expenses) or debit revenues (which is a decrease in revenues) the effect on the profit or loss is identical. Reduces profits, increases deficits, however you want to say it.

    But that's not the issue - my point is tax cuts, based on math and evidence, don't increase revenues.

    As for Cheney, since when did you ever listen or believe anything he says or said? Deficits don't matter as long as you get something for those deficits, Reagan got 17 million jobs, doubling of GDP, 60% growth in FIT, and a peace dividend. Not bad for 1.7 trillion dollars!!!

    Obama has added over 7 TRILLION and what have we gotten for it?
    OK, so sometimes you agree with deficits, sometimes you don't. What does that have to do with the notion that tax cuts do or don't pay for themselves?

Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •