Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 573

Thread: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

  1. #371
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    If GOPers want to cut taxes, fine by me. Make the very difficult choices to cut spending to offset the loss in revenue from the tax cuts.

    What I'm objecting to as a fairy tale is the notion that "keeping more of what you earn" (i.e. tax cuts) don't require offsetting spending cuts. Instead, GOPers tell us, and Jack quoted an article in Forbes telling us, that tax cuts pay for themselves and increase revenues, or that there is a Tax Santa Clause.
    That makes little sense to me. Why must only the republicants cut spending to the level of tax revenue when the demorats are allowed to not worry about deficit spending? The favorite demorat fairly tale is that borrowing to support current federal spending is "investment" in our future - thus equally sure to pay off "down the road". No matter which fairy tale is accepted the result is that federal spending can "forever" exceed federal revenue - with forever defined as so long as congress critters (of both parties) can get re-elected by "kicking the can down the road".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #372
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That makes little sense to me. Why must only the republicants cut spending to the level of tax revenue when the demorats are allowed to not worry about deficit spending? The favorite demorat fairly tale is that borrowing to support current federal spending is "investment" in our future - thus equally sure to pay off "down the road". No matter which fairy tale is accepted the result is that federal spending can "forever" exceed federal revenue - with forever defined as so long as congress critters (of both parties) can get re-elected by "kicking the can down the road".
    Where did I argue that democrats are allowed to not worry about deficit spending? Clinton raised taxes, reduced deficits every year he was POTUS, and came closer to a balanced budget than any POTUS in my lifetime. Bush came in and undid those tax increases, and tax revenues dropped to the lowest level of GDP for decades, with predictable effects on the deficit. We paid for the wars with.... tax cuts.

    And if you want to quote democrats saying deficit spending will pay for itself in the future, be my guest. They could be out there, but that's not anything like an accepted "Democratic" position. Does Krugman make that argument? Name any liberal economist who argues deficit spending pays for itself - you can't. If you look at the budgets of the liberal caucus in the House, they include significant tax INCREASES to pay for the proposed spending in those same budgets. Their budgets don't pretend that we can increase spending and then wish into existence more tax revenue from multiplier effects and other magic potions.

  3. #373
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    What would it be worth to you if you knew wiggle your nose and no other party would ever be in competition with your own? Or that there was only one political ideology....yours. Do you think that such a government created out of that single ideology would always serve the best interests of the people it governed? Would your rights and general welfare always be protected? Would your life flourish more?

    If you could make a wish today that every person who was in opposition to your fundamental beliefs in all aspects of your life (government, religion, etc.) would instantly disappear...would you make that wish?

    I would definitely wish away the last 6 years of President Obama's incompetence and the effect that its had in tbis county.

  4. #374
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Where did I argue that democrats are allowed to not worry about deficit spending? Clinton raised taxes, reduced deficits every year he was POTUS, and came closer to a balanced budget than any POTUS in my lifetime. Bush came in and undid those tax increases, and tax revenues dropped to the lowest level of GDP for decades, with predictable effects on the deficit. We paid for the wars with.... tax cuts.

    And if you want to quote democrats saying deficit spending will pay for itself in the future, be my guest. They could be out there, but that's not anything like an accepted "Democratic" position. Does Krugman make that argument? Name any liberal economist who argues deficit spending pays for itself - you can't. If you look at the budgets of the liberal caucus in the House, they include significant tax INCREASES to pay for the proposed spending in those same budgets. Their budgets don't pretend that we can increase spending and then wish into existence more tax revenue from multiplier effects and other magic potions.

    Clinton had a Republican House and he lowered Capital Gains taxes.

  5. #375
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    What would it be worth to you if you knew wiggle your nose and no other party would ever be in competition with your own? Or that there was only one political ideology....yours. Do you think that such a government created out of that single ideology would always serve the best interests of the people it governed? Would your rights and general welfare always be protected? Would your life flourish more?

    If you could make a wish today that every person who was in opposition to your fundamental beliefs in all aspects of your life (government, religion, etc.) would instantly disappear...would you make that wish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I would definitely wish away the last 6 years of President Obama's incompetence and the effect that its had in tbis county.
    That's it...if you had such a power? What a waste. There are millions of Obamas. The US is still here despite Obama, or Bush, or Reagan or JFK. Or any other president who wouldn't conform to your beliefs.

  6. #376
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Clinton had a Republican House and he lowered Capital Gains taxes.
    What's your point? Bush cut tax rates and had a GOP House and Senate. Deficits increased.

    Clinton also raised marginal rates, and raised payroll taxes. Are you saying the 47% real increase in tax revenues during the Clinton years was due to tax cuts on capital gains? Or that the capital gains tax cut is what fueled the tech boom and the millions of jobs created?

    We can all make random statements all day long, but I'm missing the principle you're trying to get across. There is or is not a Tax Santa Clause (i.e. tax rate cuts pay for themselves). I don't believe in a Tax Santa Clause - tax rate cuts decrease revenues, as math tells us they will.

  7. #377
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Where did I argue that democrats are allowed to not worry about deficit spending? Clinton raised taxes, reduced deficits every year he was POTUS, and came closer to a balanced budget than any POTUS in my lifetime. Bush came in and undid those tax increases, and tax revenues dropped to the lowest level of GDP for decades, with predictable effects on the deficit. We paid for the wars with.... tax cuts.

    And if you want to quote democrats saying deficit spending will pay for itself in the future, be my guest. They could be out there, but that's not anything like an accepted "Democratic" position. Does Krugman make that argument? Name any liberal economist who argues deficit spending pays for itself - you can't. If you look at the budgets of the liberal caucus in the House, they include significant tax INCREASES to pay for the proposed spending in those same budgets. Their budgets don't pretend that we can increase spending and then wish into existence more tax revenue from multiplier effects and other magic potions.
    The main gripe (from the left) is that tax cuts (for the wealthy) are bad yet they thought the Obama payroll tax holiday was just peachy. You are correct that Krugman objected to that doondoggle but that did not stop Obama (et al) from using that popular trick to get votes.

    President Obama Proposes Payroll Tax Holiday Nearly Equal in Size to Bush Income Tax Cuts for 2012 | Tax Justice Blog

    Obama Payroll Tax Cut
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #378
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Climate change is not a problem.
    Hello Jack.

    I'm sure you would probably disagree with these facts, too.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #379
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,920
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Hello Jack.

    I'm sure you would probably disagree with these facts, too.
    Nothing like some data to spoil a good headline. Oh well.

    Panic! 2014 hottest year ever (Not so fast, say the satellites)

    What’s almost as good as an actual record? A could-be-a-record Headline!
    “2014 could become the hottest year on record” – said CBS, The Guardian, Time, Washington Post, Discover Magazine, The Japan News, Wired, and 319 other outlets.
    None of the investigative hardened editors or science reporters knew enough to ask the question, “what do the satellites say?” Which would have been interesting because the satellites say “bollocks”. h/t SPPI
    On his site, Dr Roy Spencer explains that 2014 won’t be the warmest year on record. Satellites track almost all of the Earth for 24 hours a day and the data shows that we don’t need to go back to the Medieval Warm Period to find a hotter year, just back to 2010.
    ….

    It might be the hottest year if you live in a white louvered box above a carpark, next to a concrete-heat-sink-superstructure, and not far from a runway. Though even then you might need to be homogenized and adjusted to really feel the heat. But for the rest of the surface of the Earth, 2010 is not a record, not even close.
    It’s all pretty pointless anyway Roy points out — we’re arguing over a hundredth of a degree.
    See Roy’s great blog
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #380
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: SC allows Texas to use New Voter ID Law

    Aaaaannnnd here come the anti-science spam posts. I gotta hand it to you, at least you're predictable.

    I'm gonna step outside for a bit. It's warm today, and that proves that global warming is real.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •